New Hornady bullet

Seems like a perfect prairie dog and coyote bullet. The light weight will be great for 223 velocity but I wonder how it would fare at .22-250 - 22 creed type velocities.

Seems like a perfect prairie dog and coyote bullet. The light weight will be great for 223 velocity but I wonder how it would fare at .22-250 - 22 creed type velocities.
If it does the same as a 64 grain tgk at 3440fps then not worth a shit. Used them for a while while in between 69 tmk availability and was having to shoot multiple times and fur tore up. In thermals could see fur and chunks flying

If it’s doesn’t fragment as fast as the vmax it will work for both. I don’t get good enough penetration with the vmax at lower speeds.

Reactions: Duh
OP
Duh

Duh

WKR
If it’s doesn’t fragment as fast as the vmax it will work for both. I don’t get good enough penetration with the vmax at lower speeds.
What’s the lower speeds you have trouble with?

OP
Duh

Duh

WKR
24” 8 twist in a 250 will be close if they have a 310k max right (assume 3450fps)?
We’ll that sucks. Would be sweet to hot rod them. Out of curiosity, what 60ish grain bullet can you push hard without it spinning apart?

kswaterfowl

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you! Someone else that realizes that the vmax fragments to fast. I've been saying this forever, and people get all sorts of butthurt.

We’ll that sucks. Would be sweet to hot rod them. Out of curiosity, what 60ish grain bullet can you push hard without it spinning apart?
What speed/barrel twist are you wanting to use?

I have seen over the years people post max rpm’s for various bullets. I think some of the seirras are rated a fuzz higher, but I don’t know that for a fact. You could always reach out to them and see what they suggest.

I’m boring and shoot 10 or 12 twist. Maintain speed and don’t over spin them.

Maybe hornady did improve the jacket so these new high BC bullets can take some higher RPMs?

OP
Duh

Duh

WKR
What speed/barrel twist are you wanting to use?

I have seen over the years people post max rpm’s for various bullets. I think some of the seirras are rated a fuzz higher, but I don’t know that for a fact. You could always reach out to them and see what they suggest.

I’m boring and shoot 10 or 12 twist. Maintain speed and don’t over spin them.

Maybe hornady did improve the jacket so these new high BC bullets can take some higher RPMs?
Shoot a 8 twist 22-250. I see Hornadys 22 ARC is a bit slower than traditional 22-250 speeds and they say the bullet retains better energy and velocity past 250 yards. I’m guessing it’s a bit slower to avoid twisting apart.

Shoot a 8 twist 22-250. I see Hornadys 22 ARC is a bit slower than traditional 22-250 speeds and they say the bullet retains better energy and velocity past 250 yards. I’m guessing it’s a bit slower to avoid twisting apart.
To stay under 300k rpm in an 8 twist your stuck with 3333fps speed limit. 9 twist is 3750. 10-12 twist you can go over 4k.

For the arc someone on here posted 3300fps for the 62 in a 24” barrel. With the recommended 7 twist from hornady that’s at almost 340k. 8 twist would be ok, unless they changed something.

yeahkkyle

FNG
I think it depends on a few factors other than just rpm to make a bullet fly apart. I was shooting a 52gr eld-m out of my 22nosler, 8tw at 3644fps avg. That puts it around 328k rpm which is over any recommended rpm but had sub 1/2" accuracy in a gas gun. My issue with them was I was getting pencil holes in and out so I switched to 55gr nbt's at 3550fps (320k rpm). Have dropped plenty of dogs out to 350y with zero issues.

I just loaded 70gr bks in my 6cm, 7.5tw with 3723fps avg, 357k rpm and haven't seen one blow apart out to 300y yet. I've also had 140gr berger hybrids come apart in a 260ai, 8tw only doing 2875fps at 400y during load development. Maybe I had a bad couple bullets during development but haven't had one since and well under 300k rpm. Not saying its not a good idea to match the twist appropriately to desired gr bullet but its not a hard limit.

I think it depends on a few factors other than just rpm to make a bullet fly apart. I was shooting a 52gr eld-m out of my 22nosler, 8tw at 3644fps avg. That puts it around 328k rpm which is over any recommended rpm but had sub 1/2" accuracy in a gas gun. My issue with them was I was getting pencil holes in and out so I switched to 55gr nbt's at 3550fps (320k rpm). Have dropped plenty of dogs out to 350y with zero issues.

I just loaded 70gr bks in my 6cm, 7.5tw with 3723fps avg, 357k rpm and haven't seen one blow apart out to 300y yet. I've also had 140gr berger hybrids come apart in a 260ai, 8tw only doing 2875fps at 400y during load development. Maybe I had a bad couple bullets during development but haven't had one since and well under 300k rpm. Not saying its not a good idea to match the twist appropriately to desired gr bullet but its not a hard limit.
That had to of been some bad bullets on that 260ai unless there was something up with the barrel at that time