New guy from NC

JCnc3

FNG
There’s a whole lot of FNG posts here!

I’m an avid outdoorsman and always had a desire for long range shooting. I don’t really enjoy pistols and carbines are ok, but stretching the yardage out always got my blood pumping. I just never had an outlet for it due to lack of opportunity funds. Until now…

I recently found an amazing range facility not far from me and got to “scratch the itch” in a way I’ve never experienced. I quickly passed my previous max range and went further than the 1,000yd dream I had for years. So now I’m here, soaking up info with a goal of attending some courses and entering some regional PRS events in the future. The bug bit me.

Not sure how much I have to contribute to the community with the wealth of knowledge that’s already here, but maybe the day will come. Also looking forward to the classifieds, as there’s some really great stuff in there! Unfortunately I made the wrong decision when I purchased my optic a few years ago and it just won’t work for what I’m trying to do. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
As the self-appointed chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend a laurel, and hearty handshake (virtual, of course) to our new NC member.

Eddie

OP
J

JCnc3

FNG
Welcome to the fourm. It's addictive. And takes all your money.

Thanks. Fortunately I have a pretty decent rifle, so that helps spread the cost out over time haha. That’s what I’m telling my wife at least.

OP
J

JCnc3

FNG
I feel the same about my optic after reading the info on this site... But good-enough will have to do for this season. I'm saving for a nicer pack! Welcome

Makes sense! That’s also on my list, along with almost everything else .

The issue with my scope is that I was purely in a general deer hunting mindset when I bought it. My buddy had just bought a Leupold with the custom turret option and I loved the idea of just dialing elevation to a yardage number. So I bought a Vortex Viper with their v-plex reticle, which is totally clean, no elevation or windage marks. I intended on getting all of my rifle data and having a yardage turret made for it.

Fast forward 2.5 years and my hunting opportunities are few and far between due to land access. I now have an amazing range close-ish and found out I’d really like to get into something like NRL Hunter and/or PRS. So my method of thinking was fine for the kind of hunting I was doing, but not anymore. Lessons learned!

OP
J

JCnc3

FNG
Welcome. Would the range you are talking about happen to be alliance outdoors?
No sir, Coleman's Creek in Ellerbe. I looked up Alliance and it looks awesome! It's a hike from me (SE Charlotte) but I have a hunting spot out that way in Richlands. I'll have to check them out someday.

No sir, Coleman's Creek in Ellerbe. I looked up Alliance and it looks awesome! It's a hike from me (SE Charlotte) but I have a hunting spot out that way in Richlands. I'll have to check them out someday.
Nice. I hunt mainly on base and the Norther side of Onslow county. But there are some decent spots in Richlands if you can get away from the dog runners.

jpr9954

FNG
Welcome. Great to learn about the range in Ellerbe though I live in the mountains. My daughter is in Kernersville so it wouldn't be that bad of a drive down there.

OP
J

JCnc3

FNG
Welcome. Great to learn about the range in Ellerbe though I live in the mountains. My daughter is in Kernersville so it wouldn't be that bad of a drive down there.

Any decent long ranges out your way?

jpr9954

FNG
Any decent long ranges out your way?

Virtue of Defense in Old Fort has a 700-yard range that allows you to shoot from positions other than a bench. We had a 1000-yard range up in Burnsville but I understand they have closed.

The Piedmont Rifle and Pistol Club in Rutherfordton has a 600-yard range and I believe the Polk County club does as well. I've never shot at either of them.

Most ranges here in the mountains max out at 150-200 yards. The Asheville R&P Club has a 200 yard range but their rules are a throwback to the 1950s (no suppressors, no humanoid targets, etc).