New Guy DIY Elk Hunt Recommendations

will.d

FNG
My dad is wanting to plan a DIY elk hunt for 2025 or 2026. Where would be the best place to go for people that have never done it?

Mojave

WKR
hey dude!

We get like 300 of these post a week.

You got me on a nice day. :)

OK where do you live?

Do you have elk near you?

Do you know about all the Eastern Elk if you live back east, many of these are available on a raffle ticket.

Almost all elk in the west are on some kind of draw or will be within the next 3-5 years.

Many states have points programs you will never get close to drawing as you probably have not started.

If you have 20 or 30 points in a Western state I would start with that.

New Mexico and Idaho do not have points programs.

Tell us more.

OP
W

will.d

FNG
hey dude!

We get like 300 of these post a week.

You got me on a nice day. :)

OK where do you live?

Do you have elk near you?

Do you know about all the Eastern Elk if you live back east, many of these are available on a raffle ticket.

Almost all elk in the west are on some kind of draw or will be within the next 3-5 years.

Many states have points programs you will never get close to drawing as you probably have not started.

If you have 20 or 30 points in a Western state I would start with that.

New Mexico and Idaho do not have points programs.

Tell us more.
Sorry, I definitely should have searched before posting, as well as added more info. I live in East Texas. My dad really wanted to go to Colorado but I've heard there are better options.

LFC911

WKR
You just missed the UT deadline and many states (ID OTC, AZ, WY, NM, CO, MT, etc...) are already closed to draws. You still have KY, CO 2nd draw and OTC, UT OTC, returned tags and LE draw in ID, NV and others I'm probably forgetting. If you want to apply and/or build points, my advice would be to throw a dart and go CO OTC, just have fun and keep an open mind. Learn where/when to buy/apply in 2025, buy WY preference point this summer and anywhere else you might want to go.

11boo

WKR
Colorado OTC is a cluster F.
Think about it. The only western state to have unlimited elk tags over much of the state.
You’ll read how they have the biggest elk herds around, then figure all the herds that can not be hunted. Major numbers of elk around RMNP, Boulder, Evergreen, front range. All un huntable.

Mojave

WKR
Young padawan.

Ok.

Alright so in the elk knowledge world you guys are at 0%.

There is a guy named Randy Newberg. Go and watch all of his tag draw videos on youtube on each state. That will give you a 40% plus level of knowledge. He has most of them out for 2024. If not watch the 2023 ones it doesn't matter you are at zero points and zero knowledge. That will give you a crash course in the entire thing.

Then when you are done crying because you have not been paying the points game for 20 years, come up with a plan.

At some point you will find a video Randy did about building a plan.

You can do this two ways. Buy landowner vouchers in states that offer them for elk, pay for a private land elk hunt, or start applying and wishing and hopefully not crapping in one hand and wishing in the other.

If you do not apply for tags you will not draw. You will probably not draw anyway.

You can also just drive to Saskwatchwan, Idaho, New Mexico or Utah and hunt elk on a game ranch and have 80% of the same experience for what will eventually be the same price.

CB4

WKR
My first suggestion is to buy a point for MT when those are available this summer. Going into 2025 you both would have 2 points because you can buy another in 2025 to use in your application. That would give you over an 80% chance of drawing a general tag. Outside of that I would try Idaho on Dec 1, 2024. Thats if you are trying to avoid CO.

bz_711

WKR
Archery or Rifle?
Physical condition/ability to climb mountains?
Do you know anybody local that has tagged an elk?

My dad is wanting to plan a DIY elk hunt for 2025 or 2026. Where would be the best place to go for people that have never done it?
Start praying.

But more realistically, decide what you want out of the hunt before you start dumping money into points across the west you will probably never draw.

While a 400"+ set of chocolate antlers would be everyone's dream, its also not practical. If spending quality time with your father chasing elk on public land is the goal, then look at a cow elk hunt. In a lot of states its a straight draw with no points and good draw odds (for now). Also, you can pick up a guided hunt for cheap to get your feet wet.

fatlander

WKR
If you’re here asking this question, one year out from your DIY elk hunt, you’d be better off to go on a back pack fishing trip.

Elk hunting is hard. OTC/general elk hunts on public land are harder still. The mountains are big, steep, largely devoid of game, and full of people. The amount of planning and preparation you put into it will directly correlate to the likelihood of you being in elk, and, if you’re lucky, punching a tag or two. Elk hunting is an absolute grind. It’s not like YouTube.

Or there’s always the option to go on a guided hunt. I’ve never been, but I’ve read enough bad reviews to know you get what you pay for. I’d be weary of any outfit with openings for next year. All of them worth their salt are already booked.

The world is your oyster if you want it to be. You’ve got to want it bad enough to do the work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ndmarine

Lil-Rokslider
Watch Randy, Rogan, rinella or whatever influencer got you interested in this oversaturated sport and try to pirate their spot. That will leave you in mountain bird territory (Randy), prison (trespassing anywhere Rogan has hunted, yes even the different trailhead stupid), or the same valley every other late join hunter will be who was motivated by Meateater

Western hunting is not anything like what you’ve seen on YouTube, I promise.

On the bright side you are one post closer to meeting the minimum to participate in the classifieds (probably the goal of this post anyway) which will erode the profits of R3, so welcome!

Watch Randy, Rogan, rinella or whatever influencer got you interested in this oversaturated sport and try to pirate their spot. That will leave you in mountain bird territory (Randy), prison (trespassing anywhere Rogan has hunted, yes even the different trailhead stupid), or the same valley every other late join hunter will be who was motivated by Meateater

On the bright side you are one post closer to meeting the minimum to participate in the classifieds (probably the goal of this post anyway) which will erode the profits of R3, so welcome!
I got to ask what is “mountain bird territory”?

@will.d not sure of your or your dad‘s age, but don’t rule out going outfitted your first trip or at least semi guided in the state like New Mexico. Even a trespass hunt might be a good way to get into the game.
If your all ready looking at 25-26 you got time to save some money.

ndmarine

Lil-Rokslider
I got to ask what is “mountain bird territory”?

@will.d not sure of your or your dad‘s age, but don’t rule out going outfitted your first trip or at least semi guided in the state like New Mexico. Even a trespass hunt might be a good way to get into the game.
If your all ready looking at 25-26 you got time to save some money.
It was a joke about that idiot Newberg killing more birds than elk

Apologies, I’m just over the influencers and the money driving my passion into the ground

It was a joke about that idiot Newberg killing more birds than elk

Apologies, I’m just over the influencers and the money driving my passion into the ground
I hear ya. It makes sense, I didn’t want to use that term and get my ass kicked by someone. Lol

SonnyDay

WKR
There are some pretty good books out there.

As noted above, the search function is your friend.

Good luck.

The amount of negativity and approaching situations with negative intent is disgusting...