new gal from socal

miggles

FNG
Hi everyone!

My boyfriend and I have been reading this forum together for quite a while now and I finally got to the point where I figured I should register so that I can post and comment. So for a small intro... hunting is still fairly new to me, I'd say in the last 1.5 years or so. I was a backpacker before I was a hunter and have been moving toward more and more minimalist/lightweight set ups over the years.

In the last few years the idea of obtaining my own wild meat has become very very appealing to me and very in line with my desire for greater self sufficiency, dietary diversity, and deliciousness. I started with some small game (e.g., jackrabbits) and had my first mule deer season this fall. Honestly spent most of the season trying to figure out how to even find deer and was finally rewarded by the end by the sight of a lovely-looking large buck. He was a couple miles off and moved from his bed before we were able to maneuver our way down into the basin where he was hanging out. So although I ended the season empty handed it was still a blast and I just loved it. Now I can't wait for next season.

Anyway I've found this site quite inspirational and informative and hope I can contribute something good one day!

Stid2677

WKR
Welcome, my wife and I hunt together as well. We also enjoy gathering and preparing on own game meat.

Steve

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to Rokslide miggles! Looking forward to hearing more from you, it's always awesome to hear about couples who enjoy getting out there together. Do you have any winter/off season plans until next hunting season rolls around?

OP
M

miggles

FNG
Welcome to Rokslide miggles! Looking forward to hearing more from you, it's always awesome to hear about couples who enjoy getting out there together. Do you have any winter/off season plans until next hunting season rolls around?

Thanks Becca! Hunting together is something we've really enjoyed so far. I think it might have felt too overwhelming to try for the first time just on my own, so having someone else to learn with, trouble shoot with, and roam around some beautiful wilderness with has been critical to the experience so far. Not too long ago I read the 'getting your wife to go hunting' article that you wrote with Luke and I was like YES!

Don't have any big hunts planned for the winter. I'm hoping to mostly work on fitness and target practice. Last deer season I wasn't quite strong enough to comfortably pull the weight I would have needed to on my bow, so that's a big goal for next year. And archery as a whole is still quite new to me so there's a lot of room for improvement :)

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't have any big hunts planned for the winter. I'm hoping to mostly work on fitness and target practice. Last deer season I wasn't quite strong enough to comfortably pull the weight I would have needed to on my bow, so that's a big goal for next year. And archery as a whole is still quite new to me so there's a lot of room for improvement :)

I am kind of in the same boat, maintaining/increasing my fitness and also working on my shooting (both rifle and bow) as we move towards spring. I got my bow hunter certification a few years ago, but haven't felt confident enough in my shooting to actually archery hunt yet. Thinking that may be among my personal hunting goals for this year. I try to do as much of my exercising outside as possible, and I have been cross country skiing a few days a week when the weather permits. No real major hunting plans for me this winter, although we are going winter camping for 5 days next month and will do some ice fishing and ptarmigan hunting then.

Again, welcome to Rokslide Miggles, glad you joined us and look forward to hearing more from you!

Doc06

FNG
New here as well and just wanted to say Welcome. So far love this site. My Wife started hunting with me this fall and missed her first Whitetail buck with a bow. She has a renewed determination now. Seeing a buck in bow range gave her a case of buck fever! She was shaking so bad she could barely stand up in the tree stand. Anyway, hunting with her has been a joy and I hope you guys as a couple enjoy it as much as we have so far.