Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I’m not up to speed on Sitka layering, but would this work with the following:

Base layer (ex: Aerolite)
Ambient Hoody
New Jetstream
Puffy (ex: Kifaru LPP)

The LPP would only be added in rather cold conditions. Really interested if the Jetstream layered over the Ambient Hoody makes sense. Hike in/up with Ambient, add Jetstream once temps and/or wind exceed Ambient comfort. Think of this as a layering system for Oct/Nov in CO rockies.
I think you’d be happy with that line up

Lowg08

WKR
I’m not up to speed on Sitka layering, but would this work with the following:

Base layer (ex: Aerolite)
Ambient Hoody
New Jetstream
Puffy (ex: Kifaru LPP)

The LPP would only be added in rather cold conditions. Really interested if the Jetstream layered over the Ambient Hoody makes sense. Hike in/up with Ambient, add Jetstream once temps and/or wind exceed Ambient comfort. Think of this as a layering system for Oct/Nov in CO rockies.
After trying it in on. I’m going up a size so I can wear my base layer, active hoody and Celsius midi under it. If it get too bad I’ll throw my down jacket or vest over it

I have the Traverse Jacket and I just got my new Jetstream. Both size large. The jet stream is significantly smaller in torso and arm length. I think I'm going to return it for a LT. I'm 6' 185lb. With a T-shirt under it, it works but I'd like the option to layer it with a short sleeve first lite t-shirt, sitka lightweight merino core 1/4 zip, ambient hoody, and then the jet stream.

With my maybe 3 year old jetstream, puffy insulation layering underneath is kind of a waste. It is trim fitting and the stiffer/heavier material is prone to compressing the puffy insulation and reducing it's effectiveness. This thing would have to be way roomier for it to make sense and it still wouldn't be ideal IMO.

jd1006

WKR
I’m curious to see what happens to the Stratus lineup. The changes seemed more geared at making the whitetail hunters who head West able to utilize a similar layering system. The offerings in Blaze and Elevated seem more the intent; the OG Jetstream really didn’t need to be improved much (I actually think the SubAlpine jacket is pretty quiet).

H80Hunter

WKR
Yeah the trend seems to be consolidating the lineup a bit. Gradient, Traverse, Equinox all into the new Traverse line. The Kelvin active and Celsius midi line into the ambient. Hope they don’t ditch the stratus but I think that would be a little surprising. I suppose they wouldn’t ditch it until they had something quiet enough to replace it.

Last edited:

Drenalin

WKR
Yeah the trend seems to be consolidating the lineup a bit. Grgadient, Traverse, Equinox all into the new Traverse line. The Kelvin active and Celsius midi line into the ambient. Hope they don’t ditch the stratus but I think that would be a little surprising. I suppose they wouldn’t ditch it until they had something quiet enough to replace it.
I think that's what the new Jetstream is doing. Blaze orange Stratus looks to be discontinued, I'd expect the camo version to go away this fall when the Jetsream arrives in their whitetail camo.

Lowg08

WKR
I think that's what the new Jetstream is doing. Blaze orange Stratus looks to be discontinued, I'd expect the camo version to go away this fall when the Jetsream arrives in their whitetail camo.
I couldn’t tell a big difference in the stratus and new jetstream the other. I ordered the jetstream in elevated sparkleberry though.

Drenalin

WKR
I couldn’t tell a big difference in the stratus and new jetstream the other. I ordered the jetstream in elevated sparkleberry though.
I'm going to give it some time for more people to try and comment on, but I really want one in blaze orange if the reviews are still good after hunting season.

Lowg08

WKR
I'm going to give it some time for more people to try and comment on, but I really want one in blaze orange if the reviews are still good after hunting season.
It’s not my favorite color but I wear several different camo patterns and I hunt in a saddle most of the time so I’m my mind the elevated sparkleberry makes since against the sky maybe lol. I’ll look awesome in gray or fusion pants, spectre vest sparkleberry or under armor camo lol.

H80Hunter

WKR
I doubt they’d kill the stratus outright still…. It’s got a great reputation and has some whitetail specific features like the harness pass thru… I could be wrong

Mcharb007

FNG
Anybody have this new version and the older jet stream? I’m guessing that it’s not worth upgrading just for the sake of upgrading. Probably only worth it if you current jet stream is getting a little long in the tooth.

Lowg08

WKR
I just got mine in today. I normally wear a XL but I went 2X for layering. Done the initial try on with planned layers. Jetstream, Celsius midi, kelvin active hoody and fuse base layer. My solitude vest and/or down jacket fit over it comfortably. Drawing the bow and all That. I like the new fabric and cut. Looking like a home run.

Attachments

• 9936B0ED-F7F8-4316-BA01-6325E13C0779.jpeg
    9936B0ED-F7F8-4316-BA01-6325E13C0779.jpeg
    257.5 KB · Views: 67

V-TRAIN

WKR
Did they happen to put some type of way of making the ends of the sleeves adjustable ? I have short arms, but have to wear a XL cause a large won't fit me in the shoulders and arms. Problem is the Xl sleeves almost cover my finger tips. I had a jetstream for years, but when KUIU made the axis hybrid, I got that and sold my jetstream.

I would say those 2, at least the old jetstream and axis hybrid are pretty similar, except for the axis has velcro on the sleeves for adjustability.

I am kind of intrested in the new jetstream if it is quiter than the old and axis. I really don't want to have to have it hemmed though. Lol

TX4ever

Lil-Rokslider
Did they happen to put some type of way of making the ends of the sleeves adjustable ? I have short arms, but have to wear a XL cause a large won't fit me in the shoulders and arms. Problem is the Xl sleeves almost cover my finger tips. I had a jetstream for years, but when KUIU made the axis hybrid, I got that and sold my jetstream.

I would say those 2, at least the old jetstream and axis hybrid are pretty similar, except for the axis has velcro on the sleeves for adjustability.

I am kind of intrested in the new jetstream if it is quiter than the old and axis. I really don't want to have to have it hemmed though. Lol
My only complaint with the jetstream is no adjustable cuffs. No velcro on the new model. I have slim wrists and they are loose so I will probably get them tailored. The new jetstream is probably about the same noise level as the axis, maybe a little quieter. I prefer it over the axis though because it isn't as stiff

Drenalin

WKR
The new jetstream is probably about the same noise level as the axis, maybe a little quieter.
Wow, really? I appreciate this comment because noise can be subjective depending on what we’re used to and what we hunt. I had an Axis jacket for less than 5 minutes because it was extremely loud to me. If the Jetstream is even close to that, there’s no way I’ll be trying one.

TX4ever

Lil-Rokslider
Wow, really? I appreciate this comment because noise can be subjective depending on what we’re used to and what we hunt. I had an Axis jacket for less than 5 minutes because it was extremely loud to me. If the Jetstream is even close to that, there’s no way I’ll be trying one.
I returned the axis a while back so don't have them side by side to compare. From what I remember, I thought it was pretty quiet. I'm also not a bow hunter and noise isn't a huge factor for me, but the old jetstream noise and texture bothered me- definitely liking the new version better

V-TRAIN

WKR
The axis will make some noise if you make quick sudden movements, but I haven't had any trouble thumping whitetails with a bow with mine on.

Lowg08

WKR
New Jetstream is no where near as loud as the axis. I had one too. I don’t believe they are in the same ball park. I strictly bow hunt minus two weeks of ML.