New Food Ideas Needed !!

rclouse79

WKR
I usually go cold food only for archery elk. My number one is a homemade powerbars (ground oatmeal, pb, honey, raisins, coconut, chia seeds).
Number two is tortillas, tuna packaged in olive oil, cheese, Mayo and mustard pack.

Walkstoomuch

Lil-Rokslider
Maple syrup and almond butter mixed together and spread all over one side of a flour tortilla, two slices of crispy bacon set on one edge, roll it up like a pinwheel. Wrap the whole thing in plastic wrap. Delicious in 10 degrees or 80. Bonus points for some sort of nuts or chocolate chips sprinkled in there too

clarkbnd

FNG
I like bagels w/ some sort of nut butter also. My favorite to bring is smores poptarts though. Hit the spot cold but great warmed up by fire. Not the easiest to pack and not weight conscious.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Hormel pepperoni comes in sealed packs that are perfect for carrying in your food bags. Not that expensive and beats eating dry bars all the freaking time.

Mosby

WKR
Dried mango is awesome stuff for a snack. I get it at Sam's or Costco. Thai tuna packets with soft tortilla's works great and easy. For dehydrated meals, I only eat Pack it gourmet. MH doesn't work for me.

I always get a Jimmy John's sandwich or similar to take with me on the hike in. Always great to set up my tent and pull dinner out of my bag without having to cook or clean the first night.

My favorites are the Peak Refuels. The new steel cut oatmeal and peaches are fricking awesome! Had some in the Gila this weekend to test out and glad i did. And of course the classic Mendes meals are the shiz. I don't know that I've had a Refuel meal that i haven't liked

Tried the Greenbelly Meal bars this year. For me, if I eat a whole bar and drink about 20 oz of water I am full for a long time. I was skeptical from a "meal replacement" perspective but it does work. I'm going to try and use them to pack less food and reduce my overall weight/size on my food bags.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I make pretty much all my own food, it started primarily out of necessity to eat healthy due to high blood pressure.

For breakfasts, I put Bobs Red Mill Muesli, powdered milk and butter, dehydrated fruit and hemp seeds, just add some hot water and its a good breakfast. Sometimes I will substitute the Muesli with instant oatmeal. Typically with add-ins this comes out to 600-650 calories

For lunches, I really like the tuna pack in olive oil, with a sandwich pita, or a couple peanut butter packs with a pita. Dried fruit and nuts.

I like making my own energy bars. Just throw some dates, nuts, dried fruit, dehydrated meat, dark chocolate into a food processor with a little honey or peanut butter. Press them into a silicone bar mold (amazon or Michaels sell them) then vac seal.

Homemade jerky is a must on my hunting trips

Dinners are dehydrated meals I make; I like doing a hearty venison stew with instant mashed potatoes. I do a spicy indian chicken and rice dish thats awesome. My wife makes delicious venison chili mac which always makes the rotation.

All in all, I shoot for about 3000 or so a day. I have found by doing it all myself, an added benefit is that it saves weight and space when compared to commercially packaged stuff also.

Honey Stinger Cookies are always good. The sour fruit snacks are a nice change. They are like sour patch kids but made out of raisins. I know but trust me.

Bagels with honey peanut butter and bacon is always in my pack. I use the pre-cooked bacon then vac seal and freeze. Smashes down and doesn't take up as much room.

I like Peak for freeze dried meals. They are not cheap tho, so I don't bring very many.

For most dinners I cook up a package of ramen and add in one of the flavored tuna packets. Super cheap and a ton of calories.

Instant mashed potatoe packet and cheddar Lil smokies. Thank me later.
How well do the little smokies keep? Can you vacuum seal them and leave them out at room temp or do you just refrigerate until right before the trip then leave them be? Have tried to find non refrigerated lil smokies in my area and have had no luck. Just wanted to get some validation that it doesn’t cause the squirts if I go for it! Lol

ewade07

WKR
How well do the little smokies keep? Can you vacuum seal them and leave them out at room temp or do you just refrigerate until right before the trip then leave them be? Have tried to find non refrigerated lil smokies in my area and have had no luck. Just wanted to get some validation that it doesn’t cause the squirts if I go for it! Lol
i generally will vacuum seal them and throw them in the freezer then put them in the food bag frozen. theres so much salt in those little buggers ive never worried about them spoiling, plus they are vacuum sealed so no bacteria can get in. i take them on multiple day shed hunting trips and have never gotten sick.

i generally will vacuum seal them and throw them in the freezer then put them in the food bag frozen. theres so much salt in those little buggers ive never worried about them spoiling, plus they are vacuum sealed so no bacteria can get in. i take them on multiple day shed hunting trips and have never gotten sick.
Good intel! Appreciate it man! Gonna add it to the menu this fall!

I come from a backpacking background and in my opinion you cant beat the ramen bomb. Make in your jetboil or in a quart freezer bag. 1 bag of ramen and 1 oz of isntant mashed potatoes. A quick 500 calories and a 20 minute nap - youll be feeling great for the rest of the day. Or eat it before bed for a nice warmup and a full stomach through the night.

Lots of other amazing diy options with a wide variety from Andrew Skurka - he's got some pretty wild make yourself trail meals.

Jqualls

Lil-Rokslider
I like overnight oats for breakfast. Google recipes then use freeze dried options for the recipes you like. I like chocolate peanut butter so I bag up single servings of oats, powder milk, peanut butter or dried peanut butter, Coco powder and some honey packets. Mix it in a plastic peanut butter jar with water the night before and it is ready to go when you wake up dont even need to heat water.

A plastic peanut but jar is my go to utensil in the backcountry. I can store my overnight oat servings in it, coffee, along with several other similar items then I use it as cup/bowl/etc.

dphifer

FNG
This guy's video is very interesting when thinking of packing food in and how to get the most calories/oz. Really something to consider if you are looking for places to cut weight.