New fillys

OP
P

Preston

Lil-Rokslider
I joined a few years back but haven’t had time to get very involved. Do you think the saddle panniers from State Line would hold elk quarters? Didn’t know how durable they were

BKehoe05

FNG
I’ve had no issue with handling of large solid objects in the bags. In terms of quality I’d say the canvas has a thickness in terms of the same as a Crown Royal bag.

OP
P

Preston

Lil-Rokslider
Have completed four trail rides on the larger mare/filly, three rides with other horses and one solo. She has did great, even in some steep gradients. I think she is well on the way to turning out great. Going to start ponying the smaller one in July to get her some trail experience. I appreciate everyone help.

Attachments

• 3D02ED6C-6FE8-4946-B7F2-EBFCED097672.jpeg
    3D02ED6C-6FE8-4946-B7F2-EBFCED097672.jpeg
    121.9 KB · Views: 20
OP
P

Preston

Lil-Rokslider
Been riding both in an arena and on trails, she seems to get bored in arena, but picks up her step on the trail. I had to take a five week break from riding in June to early July due to working out of state and she didn’t really regress. Planning for a overnight trip from the trailhead on the Rocky Mtn front in September. She did pull back and break her lead rope this evening from her spooking from the saddle pad falling off the rail.

Anyone have any advice on packing meat on a green horse by yourself? I’m planning to take her on two hunting trips in October and pretty sure I will fill a tag and was wondering the best approach for putting quarters in a saddle pannier. She doesn’t seem to like the smell of blood from me attempting to rub it in her nose. Thanks
2BF193C5-97FC-4DE4-B099-D8AD6C1232D1.jpeg

Been riding both in an arena and on trails, she seems to get bored in arena, but picks up her step on the trail. I had to take a five week break from riding in June to early July due to working out of state and she didn’t really regress. Planning for a overnight trip from the trailhead on the Rocky Mtn front in September. She did pull back and break her lead rope this evening from her spooking from the saddle pad falling off the rail.

Anyone have any advice on packing meat on a green horse by yourself? I’m planning to take her on two hunting trips in October and pretty sure I will fill a tag and was wondering the best approach for putting quarters in a saddle pannier. She doesn’t seem to like the smell of blood from me attempting to rub it in her nose. Thanks
View attachment 584973

Glad things are still going good with your horses.

If it was me i would quarter the meat away from the carcass and take them out of view of the dead animal. Upwind preferred. Then just slowly get her comfortable with the contents. I’d bag them up as good as you can so it doesn’t look like meat. And take it really slow.

Keep working on your packing at home at least so they get used to the heaviness of the load and how it feels on their back. That will keep the familiarity in the backcountry.

Good job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
P

Preston

Lil-Rokslider
Glad things are still going good with your horses.

If it was me i would quarter the meat away from the carcass and take them out of view of the dead animal. Upwind preferred. Then just slowly get her comfortable with the contents. I’d bag them up as good as you can so it doesn’t look like meat. And take it really slow.

Keep working on your packing at home at least so they get used to the heaviness of the load and how it feels on their back. That will keep the familiarity in the backcountry.

Good job!

I appreciate it MissJordan, you have been a great help. I was thinking about wrapping the quarters in clean game bags and put them in contractors garbage bags for the pack out only which should take about an hour or two leading her out and take the quarters out of the plastic bags once the pack out is complete to resume the meat cooling process.

This evening I took some bloody hamburger and tried rubbing it in her nose and she quickly bolted, and I just set the bowl down and let them smell it, and she came back over and began sniffing it. After about 30 minutes I hung up a frozen bear hide and let her smell it, she did fine with that and I fed them right under the bear hide. When I find a dead raccoon I’m going to hang it up down in the dry lot.

I might try Vicks vapor rub, not not anymore blood in the nose, it would be a good way to get a hoof thrown at me.9B182CF8-0C3F-4766-9326-F2B59E039486.jpeg

Hi Preston,

I'm certainly no expert but will be trying what others have recommended with my young mule, which is to put last year's deer hide near her food and water. Have had a few old timers recommend that, saying their desire to eat will overcome their aversion to the hide, eventually getting used to it.

I kept my deer hide frozen from last November just for this purpose, so you're welcome to use it after Odina gets used to it.

Steve

I appreciate it MissJordan, you have been a great help. I was thinking about wrapping the quarters in clean game bags and put them in contractors garbage bags for the pack out only which should take about an hour or two leading her out and take the quarters out of the plastic bags once the pack out is complete to resume the meat cooling process.

This evening I took some bloody hamburger and tried rubbing it in her nose and she quickly bolted, and I just set the bowl down and let them smell it, and she came back over and began sniffing it. After about 30 minutes I hung up a frozen bear hide and let her smell it, she did fine with that and I fed them right under the bear hide. When I find a dead raccoon I’m going to hang it up down in the dry lot.

I might try Vicks vapor rub, not not anymore blood in the nose, it would be a good way to get a hoof thrown at me.View attachment 585408

Your welcome glad to hear everything is going well. Vicks probably wouldn’t hurt either. another thing to keep in mind when horses gets stressed is when they start being foolish. Always be mindful of there mental threshold and if they are extremely tense and ready to blow probably time to take a break. Your consistency is paying off

OP
P

Preston

Lil-Rokslider
Put some elk quarters on the larger mare for the first time and she slipped the saddle the first time, which was my fault. I re-tacked her and loaded again with no issues and she looked back and smelt the elk and began bucking on a lunge line in a tight circle for a half dozen circles and settled down and I lead her around for 15 minutes and unloaded her. I have been using a deer hide at their feeding spot and plan to put a mule deer quarters on her this weekend.

I’m glad I tried this the first time at home, because it allowed me to work out the cinks, instead of rushing to load her in the field.
0D6B9E56-1570-4D89-959F-B500FB6DD590.jpeg

BKehoe05

FNG
Put some elk quarters on the larger mare for the first time and she slipped the saddle the first time, which was my fault. I re-tacked her and loaded again with no issues and she looked back and smelt the elk and began bucking on a lunge line in a tight circle for a half dozen circles and settled down and I lead her around for 15 minutes and unloaded her. I have been using a deer hide at their feeding spot and plan to put a mule deer quarters on her this weekend.

I’m glad I tried this the first time at home, because it allowed me to work out the cinks, instead of rushing to load her in the field.
View attachment 626927
No better opportunity than at home to do what you did, well done! Just be prepared because equines are the kings & queens of being different on the road than at home. You’ll probably deal with a similar issue when they are in unfamiliar places BUT now you know how to deal with it and that’s what it is all about.

OP
P

Preston

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, I did two deer quarters Saturday with no issues. Giving her some feed while I loaded her seemed to really help and hanging up deer hides in their corral