New EDC Pistol

sndmn11

WKR
I have a p365 regular slide xl frame. I want something optics capable, so the hell cat has my eye as well.

I am a big guy 6'5 260 but I only wear large gloves, I know little hands.

I think you'd benefit from shooting any small pistol you are interested in; just 3-4 cartridges per mag for a box. The slide release button can be in a spot that unavoidably gets tapped and you never know when you are dry. The mag release button can be in a wonky spot that takes a grip adjustment. The short grips can leave you with mags that drag from the pinky side of your palm and don't drop free.

If you're around Denver, I'm happy to meet you if you'd like to try a hellcat or g43.

jpmulk

WKR
I carry a Hellcat OSP FDE. I was going to try a P365 but I keep hearing and seeing issues with Sigs. Never heard of an issue with the Hellcats....but Springfield other pistols, the XDs I wouldn't poke with a stick.

I haven't looked into the Echelon but it looks like it's built off the Hellcat. If it is and it comes from the same factory in Croatia, I would go with one. I have thousands of rounds through my HC and haven't had a single jamb or failure to feed and I rarely clean it. It eats any I run through it and it's usually filthy.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk
What are the current sig issues? I haven’t really heard of any? Most of what I have heard is the 365 series is absolutely crushing it.

What are the current sig issues? I haven’t really heard of any? Most of what I have heard is the 365 series is absolutely crushing it.
Nothing really current with the 365 that I know of, other than general quality control problems. When they first came out they had the problem with broken firing pins and extractors. That's been fixed in later models, but SIG generally has quality problems when releasing a new design, which gives people a bad taste in their mouth after all the hype.

The current problem is that 320's aren't drop safe and have also started blowing up. They split at the trigger guard/where the grip meets the frame. Not related to the 365 at all, it's just making people not trust SIG again

robtattoo

WKR
I have a p365 regular slide xl frame. I want something optics capable, so the hell cat has my eye as well.

I am a big guy 6'5 260 but I only wear large gloves, I know little hands.

Oddly, I went the other way, but for similar reasons.

Regular 365 frame but with the XL slide.
I appendix carry mostly & until recently had a bit of a gut, so the longer grip poked out & printed pretty heavily.

20210831_191827.jpg
20230705_170620.jpg

The Std. 365 grip gives me the option of 10 or 12 rnd mags too. I carry with 10 & the 12 as a spare.
The Optics cut was really nice & I wanted to use a Holosun. After a year or so, I ended up pulling it though. I'm far more accurate with it, but my first shot on target was waaaay slower. If I tried to rush, I was missing a torso target even as close as 10yds. Shots 2-12 though were in a lovely 1" hole! With irons, the group is nearer 3", but that's all of 'em in half the time.

I think they'll have to perfect Lazer pistols before I'd consider changing.

Last edited:

jpmulk

WKR
Nothing really current with the 365 that I know of, other than general quality control problems. When they first came out they had the problem with broken firing pins and extractors. That's been fixed in later models, but SIG generally has quality problems when releasing a new design, which gives people a bad taste in their mouth after all the hype.

The current problem is that 320's aren't drop safe and have also started blowing up. They split at the trigger guard/where the grip meets the frame. Not related to the 365 at all, it's just making people not trust SIG again
From my understanding the drop issue with sig 320 has long since been addressed. Happy to be corrected if I am wrong

grfox92

WKR
Basic quality control issues. The originals had firing pin issues. I recently saw a video of one exploding. I believe they are certainly crushing it in sales. Probably the best selling micro at the moment. I'd still consider one. But am hesitant. Could also be perpetuated by Sig haters on the internet.

jpmulk

WKR
Basic quality control issues. The originals had firing pin issues. I recently saw a video of one exploding. I believe they are certainly crushing it in sales. Probably the best selling micro at the moment. I'd still consider one. But am hesitant. Could also be perpetuated by Sig haters on the internet.

Ive looked into this myself a lot but am no expert. I do think a lot of the issues have been overhyped. I know a lot of guys who run sigs and have not ever heard anything but great reviews. Not that means a whole lot. But just my perspective. I personally run a 320 and love it. Being a former Glock guy, it is So much better than Glock! Just saying haha

Ive looked into this myself a lot but am no expert. I do think a lot of the issues have been overhyped. I know a lot of guys who run sigs and have not ever heard anything but great reviews. Not that means a whole lot. But just my perspective. I personally run a 320 and love it. Being a former Glock guy, it is So much better than Glock! Just saying haha
Yeah I believe the drop safe problem has mostly been resolved. The bigger thing now is them blowing up, which I've seen more of recently. Attached pic isn't mine, but I've seen several cases like this posted recently. Definitely not happening to every gun, but a failure like this makes me wary no matter the percent affected.

Not trying to steer you away from your pistol, and not trying to overhype the problems, just don't think stuff like this should be glossed over. I'm glad yours works well for you and I hope it continues to! Better to have more responsible people carrying than not, no matter what they choose to carry.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231227-131904.jpg
    Screenshot_20231227-131904.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 56

seand

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got two m&p 2.0’s they never get carried. The P365xl is better for IWB or AIWB, the longer slide and shorter grip make it better for me. I don’t like how the shorter barrels carry AIWB longer slide is way more comfortable. the grip is just long enough with no extra, grip is the hardest part to keep from printing for me. Raven VG2 holster with wing, by far the most comfortable carry setup I’ve used.

IdahoBeav

WKR
From my understanding the drop issue with sig 320 has long since been addressed. Happy to be corrected if I am wrong
This is correct, and it was a ridiculous knock to begin with. Sig made a plastic striker fire pistol (P320) with a pretty good trigger that had some mass to it. If you dropped it just right on the back of the slide & grip area, the trigger had enough mass and light enough pull that the trigger's momentum could drop the firing pin. It wasn't even really a problem, and some guys actually seek out the old models with the original triggers.

As for the OP, I think the standard P365 with the XL 12-rd flush grip and packing a spare 15-rd mag is the way to go. The pistol shoots great, and with 12+1 in the pistol and having the spare mag, you're packing 28 total rounds in minimal space.

I'd like to see Glock make a double stack micro 9.

jpmulk

WKR
Yeah I believe the drop safe problem has mostly been resolved. The bigger thing now is them blowing up, which I've seen more of recently. Attached pic isn't mine, but I've seen several cases like this posted recently. Definitely not happening to every gun, but a failure like this makes me wary no matter the percent affected.

Not trying to steer you away from your pistol, and not trying to overhype the problems, just don't think stuff like this should be glossed over. I'm glad yours works well for you and I hope it continues to! Better to have more responsible people carrying than not, no matter what they choose to carry.
Is there an article for it? So many details for things like this. Was it owner negligence or tomfoolery?

Is there an article for it? So many details for things like this. Was it owner negligence or tomfoolery?
If you do a Google Search for Honest Outlaw Sig 320 he has several videos reviewing mutliple models of the 320. Unfortunately, the 320 series made his list of 10 most overrated pistols due to issues he experienced over 1,000 round reviews.

I've never heard anything bad about the 365, but I think there are other guns out there that are a better value. The CZ P07 and P09 are both extremely good pistols and can be purchased for less than $600. In fact, you can get the standard P09 on Buds for $350 right now. That is a tremendous value in an incredible pistol. If you must have a striker fired though, these aren't for you.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/84797/cz-usa+p-09+19+1+9mm+4.53 ($349) Free shipping
https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/91638/cz-usa+cz+p-07+15+1+9mm+3.75 ($480) Free shipping

Have shot or own most of these... there's a bit of a difference in size, function, and cost... Are you wanting full size, or compact? Hammer or striker? Alloy or poly? Striker, SA, or DA/SA?

Currently from your list I have a Shadow 2 Compact (actually put 200 rounds through it yesterday), an Echelon, and while not 100% the same, I have a P365XL Spectre Comp. All three are very different and fulfill a different role. Similar size/role I also have a Glock 19, SS MR920-, CZ P07, Glock 48, and a few other larger handguns.

All shoot great and all are reliable... I carry several different guns - the P365XL is the best for conceal carry just cuz it's the smallest... the CZ S2C and P-07 are going to be more accurate and shoot way better but you have to learn to master a DA/SA. The P-07 has a de-cocker - the S2C shoots much better but you will have to master manual de-cocking.

If it were me, I'd start off by trying to nail down frame size, then action type and then shop models for those 2 requirements.

While not the sexiest, for EDC, Glock 19 is tough to beat... it's not what I go to the most, but holster and support is great. When I want to carry a "fun gun" it's the S2C... most EDC is the P365. I also do security for my local church and when I do that, it's full size guns - Echelon, Staccato P etc.

Have shot or own most of these... there's a bit of a difference in size, function, and cost... Are you wanting full size, or compact? Hammer or striker? Alloy or poly? Striker, SA, or DA/SA?

Currently from your list I have a Shadow 2 Compact (actually put 200 rounds through it yesterday), an Echelon, and while not 100% the same, I have a P365XL Spectre Comp. All three are very different and fulfill a different role. Similar size/role I also have a Glock 19, SS MR920-, CZ P07, Glock 48, and a few other larger handguns.

All shoot great and all are reliable... I carry several different guns - the P365XL is the best for conceal carry just cuz it's the smallest... the CZ S2C and P-07 are going to be more accurate and shoot way better. The P-07 has a de-cocker - the S2C shoots much better but you will have to master manual de-cocking.

If it were me, I'd start off by trying to nail down frame size, then action type and then shop models for those 2 requirements.
Quick question for you, did your P07 have the option of swapping de-cocker for manual safety and visce versa like the P09?

Quick question for you, did your P07 have the option of swapping de-cocker for manual safety and visce versa like the P09?
Yes, it does. The low-profile manual safety is not the greatest on CZs.... but an option. I'm looking for a extended safety for my Shadow 2 compact - but truthfully, carrying with the safety "off" in DA mode is the way to go with CZs.

Edit to add - the CZ's that have the option to switch between a safety and a de-cocker are mostly the omega triggers and the DA trigger tends to be a little longer/gritter/stiffer then the S2C.... that S2C does not have a de-cocker option.

Beendare

WKR
Lots of guys opting for the Sig 365...we cannot get them here in Ca and I have never shot one.

Huh, Did someone say the M&P Shield is large? compared to a derringer maybe...or with the extended grip. It's about the smallest handgun I can shoot comfortably, I like it. Single stack, great shooter especially with the Apex kit. It won't print like the M&P Compact which is essentially G19 size.

IdahoBeav

WKR
Lots of guys opting for the Sig 365...we cannot get them here in Ca and I have never shot one.
Sig recently released a CA compliant version of the 365. I imagine the backorder lists and wait times could be pretty long, though.

ShortMagFan

Lil-Rokslider
My choice was an sig 365x with the optics cut. I then put a 365 (not x) sized Wilson combat grip module on it. Love that gun. For some reason I shoot it night and day better than my old Glock 19 and with a flush fit 10rd mag it disappears easy. Though I tend to use a 12 rd mag with adapter plate most of the time