New caliber debate

Poe

FNG
Looking for everyone’s opinions on what caliber I should pick for my next rifle choice. It will be an everyday truck gun for varmints and coyotes and will probably get used some for calling coyotes. I would also like to do some longer range target work like 700 ish and down for the most part maybe play farther as time goes on. I have been debating putting a new barrel on my 260 and converting it over to something like a 8 twist .243 or a 6 creed and shooting 108 eldm’s. The other option is shooting something like a .223 22-250 or a 22 creed with 75-80 gr projectiles. This gun may also see some part time use on deer so that’s why I originally thought the 108’s might be nice but the barrel life and cheap shooting with low recoil of a .223 is looking really tempting after reading into the 77gr tmk thread. Should I just not overthink it and go .223 or will I wish K went with the 6. Buying a new .223 now and then converting the 260 to a 6mm later on down the road might also be an option. Sorry if this has been beat to death already I just keep finding to many positives to each that it makes it hard to decide.

Any of the ones you mentioned would be just fine for your stated purpose.

The 223 will be the most budget-friendly, whether you reload or not. If you are limited to factory ammunition, then I would leave the 22 creed and 22-250 off the list due to ammo availability. Same with the 243 as not many companies are loading the heavy bullets in it yet. Not reloading also means that the 6GT, 6XC, and 6BR are not really options either. So, that really only leaves the 6 Creedmoor.

If I were you, I would get a fast twist 223 and use it and the 260 until you shoot out the 260 barrel, then rebarrel that to 6 Creed. Use the 223 on nice days and the 6 Creed on windy days.

OP
P

Poe

FNG
Any of the ones you mentioned would be just fine for your stated purpose.

The 223 will be the most budget-friendly, whether you reload or not. If you are limited to factory ammunition, then I would leave the 22 creed and 22-250 off the list due to ammo availability. Same with the 243 as not many companies are loading the heavy bullets in it yet. Not reloading also means that the 6GT, 6XC, and 6BR are not really options either. So, that really only leaves the 6 Creedmoor.

If I were you, I would get a fast twist 223 and use it and the 260 until you shoot out the 260 barrel, then rebarrel that to 6 Creed. Use the 223 on nice days and the 6 Creed on windy days.
I do reload but I was thinking the same thing. I like the idea of the .223 being a fairly cheap option but still effective and when I do get the 6mm Incan use both.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Based off of your uses, I’d choose a 22 caliber. You’ll just have to pick which cartridge that you want in that caliber. Personally, I would choose the 223 cartridge.

TaperPin

WKR
Since the 260 shoots a 140 gr bullet just fine, I don’t see any of the alternatives you like being a huge step up, unless you don’t reload or the current barrel is a dog.

This was a great cartridge used by all sorts of long range shooters many decades before the nearly identical Creedmoor came along. Before Remington made it a standardized cartridge in the late 1990’s, it was called 6.5-08 and has been used at long distance as long as the 308 has been around.

If it were me and budget was tight, I’d keep your rifle and spend the $1.25 per round for Nosler 120gr ballistic tip ammo, until the barrel is burned out. Other than 223, any other cartridge will be at least that expensive. Even cheap Hornady 50 packs of 22-250 are in that price range. There are tons of 260 loads out there from premium to cheap - midway shows 13 options in stock.

Rebarreling to 223 makes no sense as far as budget goes since the case head is smaller and a replacement bolt for many rifles is at least another $200. You’d be better selling your rifle and buying a 223 off the rack.

Last edited:
Reactions: Poe

TaperPin

WKR
For strictly coyotes, nothing beats something in the range of a 22-250, 220 swift, or 22 Creed. That’s been the gold standard since old geriatric Fudds schitting themselves in old folks homes were toddlers schitting themselves in cloth diapers. :)

OP
P

Poe

FNG
If I go .223 I would just be buying new not swapping the 260 to .223. If I do the barrel swap on the 260 I would like to go to 6mm or I was debating going 22 creed in that one. This is still an option but I am starting to lean towards picking up a .223 and down the road when the 260 is finished maybe then I will go to the 6mm

OP
P

Poe

FNG
For strictly coyotes, nothing beats something in the range of a 22-250, 220 swift, or 22 Creed. That’s been the gold standard since old geriatric Fudds schitting themselves in old folks homes were toddlers schitting themselves in cloth diapers. :)
I have a .223 a 22-250 .243 &.204 that have been my main coyote guns for a long time but none of them are twisted for shooting heavy for caliber bullets. My next option I would like to shoot 75-80 gr 22 cal or 103-108 6mm. I thought about going with a 8 twist 22-250 but the extra barrel life of the .223 is very tempting for target work.

TaperPin

WKR
I have a .223 a 22-250 .243 &.204 that have been my main coyote guns for a long time but none of them are twisted for shooting heavy for caliber bullets. My next option I would like to shoot 75-80 gr 22 cal or 103-108 6mm. I thought about going with a 8 twist 22-250 but the extra barrel life of the .223 is very tempting for target work.
Oh heck, you’re well equipped - I had a picture that the 260 was your only rifle. Lol
I recently bought a Shilen fast twist 22 creed barrel from Midway for under $400 - the one for Remingtons, but with a nut - since it shoot heavies, over night it’s the new favorite coyote gun and it should be fun to shoot bigger things with the 77 TMK. The 22-250 will always have it’s place - when the kids want to borrow a spare varmint gun, the 22 Creed stays with me and they can take the 22-250. :)

My biggest complaint with the 223 is it’s moving at the speed of smell and at distance the wind drift is noticeably more.

OP
P

Poe

FNG
Oh heck, you’re well equipped - I had a picture that the 260 was your only rifle. Lol
I recently bought a Shilen fast twist 22 creed barrel from Midway for under $400 - the one for Remingtons, but with a nut - since it shoot heavies, over night it’s the new favorite coyote gun and it should be fun to shoot bigger things with the 77 TMK. The 22-250 will always have it’s place - when the kids want to borrow a spare varmint gun, the 22 Creed stays with me and they can take the 22-250. :)

My biggest complaint with the 223 is it’s moving at the speed of smell and at distance the wind drift is noticeably more.
I really like the sounds of a 22 creed the thing making me think .223 over the creed is the almost double barrel life. I am also in Canada and finding cheap barrels isn’t as easy here

TaperPin

WKR
I really like the sounds of a 22 creed the thing making me think .223 over the creed is the almost double barrel life. I am also in Canada and finding cheap barrels isn’t as easy here
You are right - 223 makes a lot of sense for high volume shooting.