New Boots/Wide Feet

Looking for some new boots for an early season high contry elk or mule deer hunt in colorado. Main concern is that I have a very wide fore foot and I want something lightweight, but rugged enough for rocky terrain and can support a heavy pack load. Currently using Danner RAT boots in 10.5 extra wide, but they lack ankle support and really cause my feet to sweat. Thinking about LOWA renegade, Crispi Idaho, and Asolo sassalong. Also saw that danner had some new boots called the Full Curl and Mountain Assault, but I haven't seen any reviews on them. Any recommendations or insight would be appreciated.

Thanks, Ryan

Mike7

WKR
Ryan, I think there was a similar thread previously?, but I will be watching this thread with interest in case other good wide boot choices are discussed here. I wear New Balance/Dunham shoe-boot size 11 4E and require a high volume shoe in the forefoot as well. I have had a lot of problems finding supportive but comfortable boots...because as the boots get more supportive, they wear your feet out, instead of your feet wearing in the boots. Currently I have Zamberlan Vioz boots and they are fairly wide/high volume. I still had to stretch them a touch in the forefeet and they feel better with thinner DarnTough merino socks than thicker Smartwool Expedition type merino socks. The Lowa's and Asolos that I have tried have all been too narrow. I haven't yet found a pair of Danner boots worth wearing in my opinion so am not familiar with their wide sizing. Haven't tried a pair of Crispi's yet. My last boots were really comforablbe and fit really well (Montrail GTX wides), but were not stiff enough to be called a mountain boot (really good for hiking on trails with less than 50 lbs pack wt though).

My current Zamberlan Vioz are really well put together and waterproof boots. But between the leather and gortex, they are not very breathable for summer backpacking. They have a slight roll to the sole which I think makes walking in a stiff pair of boots a more comforable. The shank is not plastic mountaineering boot stiff, but stiff enough to wear strap-on crampons easily. It took me a long time to wear them in to the point where I am not getting hot spots/blisters on my heels when doing significant hiking off trail (I have no history of being prone to heel blisters). I thing the taller Vioz boot might lock one's heel in place better and prevent this longer wear-in period, but I opted for the shorter ones because they were not insulated like the taller ones and my feet run warm.

Solitude

WKR
Have a wide foot ann can in no way slip into a standard boot.

I have used both the Kenetrek Hardscrabbles and Asolo FSN (check out sierratradingpost.com) in wide and been happy.

OP
Moose Drool
Thanks for the info guys. Scanned some other threads and found a real in-depth review of the Lowa renegade and Asolo Sassalong. Looks like the verdict there was that the Sassalong had a roomier toe box than the renegade. Also saw someone mention the Hanwag Mountain Lights were good for those of us with a wide forefoot even though they don't offer a wide. Has anyone used the Scnees wilderness or beartooth boots? Looks like the beartooth comes in wide.

I use Saloman Quest4D's and I wear a size 14EE boot. These boots are great for my wide feet and have great support along with being super light. Put plenty of miles on these and they are holding up very well. I recommend these for you other wide foot guys looking for a lighter weight option.

Mike7

WKR
I was really hoping to get into a pair of Salamon Quest 4D's as we have them at the local REI, but too narrow for my 4E foot.

tstowater

WKR
Thanks for the info guys. Scanned some other threads and found a real in-depth review of the Lowa renegade and Asolo Sassalong. Looks like the verdict there was that the Sassalong had a roomier toe box than the renegade. Also saw someone mention the Hanwag Mountain Lights were good for those of us with a wide forefoot even though they don't offer a wide. Has anyone used the Scnees wilderness or beartooth boots? Looks like the beartooth comes in wide.

I have the Schnees Granite boots in their wide version. I like the boots and they fit me well. I also found out that I don't like the same size in the Kenetrek Mountain Extreme. I bought them on this site and boots are nice but don't work for me. They are 12 Wide and would be for sale. They were worth a try, but just didn't work for me. I ran out of room in the toebox and had the heel issues that the other threads discuss. I need to find another pair that works as I don't need that stiff of a boot all the time.

Gman

WKR
I would check out Lowa in a wide. I too have a wide foot but no where near a EEEE! The Lowa wide was too much for me. I finally found a pair of Meindl Island Pros in wide that worked for my wide foot but narrow heel. Unfortunately the wide lasts vary from manufacturer and you'll just need to try on a bunch. One thing I did was order a ton of boots from Zappos (the models I couldn't get locally). They have free shipping both ways and at one time I had something like $3K in boots laying around. I would wear them in the house and see how they would "warm up" over a couple of hours, etc. This way I was really able to see and try lots of boots - albeit I couldn't field test them -- this at least got me 80% of the way.

Good luck!

Oh, and I have a pair of the Salomon Quest boots - love them but they are just a little too lightweight for me for hunting. I wear them in the mountains scouting and hiking but if I have a heavy pack on my back and am at my limit with regards to fatigue I like to wear something with a little more support.

a3dhunter

WKR
I have had the lowa renegade and lowa ranger in a wide, I've also had the asolo sasslong, and have tried on the kenetrek and the zamberlan.
The lowa's didn't work at all for my 11.5 wide foot.

The sasslong will work good, but doesn't have the immediate comfort feel of the kenetrek and Zamberlan.

Kennetrek hardscrabble or Zamberlan Vioz will be my next boot purchase.

Schleppy

Lil-Rokslider
I have a pair of Lowa Tibets that I got last spring in a size 11 wide. They are very nice boots and the soles are really stiff which is the norm for a mountain boot from what I've heard. Using the stock insoles these boots are a little small on me size-wise and I wish I would have ordered a half size up. My advice if you go with the Lowa is to order a half size up. I dont have a ton of miles on these boots because they're uncomfortable for me because of an injury to my big toe on my right foot. That toe is paralyzed and for some reason this boot causes the three middle toes on that foot to hurt after wearing them for a short time. I dont know if its because theyre a little short for me or if its due to the stiffness of the sole. I just ordered a pair of Danner Talus GTX in an 11EE and they seem to fit great although I havent worn them on any significant hike. If you're interested in trying the Tibets I was thinking about selling them and getting a half size bigger pair of the same boot. Given that you like the Danner 10.5EE I bet the 11wide Lowas would fit you perfectly.

OP
Moose Drool
Spoke with danner customer service today about the mountain assault and gavre gtx. I guess they came out with a new last (DLE-01) which is in the mountain assault and gavre. Should be wider than the 610 last which is in alot of there other boots. Here is the description:

The DLE-01 last was designed to be an extension of the foot with superior forefoot and heel capture, stability and a more anatomical shape for comfort. The additional space in the toebox allows the foot to naturally react when bearing a heavy load or changing directions laterally in high intensity environment.

jbsmith1

FNG
It's nice to see all you guys finding wide shoes for 10, 10.5, 11, etc., but I wear a size 15 4E. A lot of the boots I've looked at stop at size 14, so I'm still looking.

OP
Moose Drool
Damn man. Those are some ski's. I tried on some lowa renegades and asolo fugitives at rei today. 11.5 wide fit the best in both, but the forefoot felt kinda tight. It would probably stretch some with wear, but I wasn't convinced. The search continues......

oldgrowth

Lil-Rokslider
Not exactly a lightweight boot, but for you guys with large or wide feet take a look at whites hawthorn explorer line of boots. I have a wide foot but skinny ankles and no store bought boot i have ever tried has really fit good. When i found a boot that was wide enough, the upper part of the boot was too large to get a good fit. That is until i found these. I was a little hesitant to order these for fear that i would spend good money on a pair of boots that may not fit right and i would not be able to return them (being custom made to my measurements), but these are the best fitting/most comfortable boots i have ever worn period! To get them custom made for your feet, you have to trace out your feet onto paper then take some measurements (they tell you how on their website) and send them in and they do the rest. This may be a viable option for yuo guys with feet larger than the general market caters to.

PS. you can get them without the logger heel (i dont like the feel or weight of the logger style heel)

OP
Moose Drool
Spent about an hour on the phone with Steve from Lathrop and Sons the other day. Great guy with a lot of knowledge. If he has a boot that will fit me, he has got my business for sure. I will post up a good review of the boots I end up getting.