New Barrel and Factory Ammo

Northof51

FNG
I’m looking at ordering a new 6mm CM barrel for my Tikka 7mm-08 and haven’t made up my mind yet on a prefit or getting a blank.
I’m leaning towards a blank. I’m seeing a lot of the 108 eldm for sale around here and am wondering what some opinions are about buying the factory ammo ahead of time or wait until the rifle is ready to shoot and see what it likes?

Ernie

Lil-Rokslider
I would get a 7.5T.
I would Buy the Ammo, if it was me.
Get one of Cortina's tuner brakes, and you should be good to go

OP
N

Northof51

FNG
👍These are the answers I was looking for, I’m planning on a 24” 7.5 twist. Most likely a KS Arms barrel.

Ernie

Lil-Rokslider
👍These are the answers I was looking for, I’m planning on a 24” 7.5 twist. Most likely a KS Arms barrel.
You are welcome.
I have never used their barrels.
I typically use Bartlein, Brux, and Krieger in no order of preference.
For button barrels I use Hart, Lilja, and McGowen-In that order.

The beauty of the Creedmoor and PRC cartridges is they shoot factory ammo exceptionally well. The Chambers are standardized so no need for some special “match” chamber reamer. For a Tikka I would order a chambered prefit and the factory ammo and be off to the races.

I like the idea of sending the action to a smith to chamber up a new one so they can get the factory tube off. After that barrel the prefit route sounds better.

OP
N

Northof51

FNG
I like that idea, I had some concerns with taking the old barrel off with the prefit route. Seems like the way to go if I ever get the chance to shoot out a barrel

Unckebob

WKR
I like the idea of sending the action to a smith to chamber up a new one so they can get the factory tube off. After that barrel the prefit route sounds better.

I would not think it would cost much to have a local gunsmith remove the old barrel.

I like having a prefit because I can swap out barrels for different purposes. I have a 280AI barrel with a heavy contour set up for longer range shooting and a short, threaded lightweight 270 barrel for when I need to carry it.

Last edited:

kickemall

WKR
If you send it to Preferred Barrels to have one of their prefits put on they will remove your old barrel and install the new one for 90 bucks.