New 56mm Swaro spotter

Trial153

WKR
Just seen this, not sure if I missed the roll out of it any place, or if there was tread here about it.
I probably am going to preorder one and try it out. Does anyone have any information on it!?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
There's been a couple threads on it already. One had video. Think it's still in the pre order stage and I've not seen anyone with one yet.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

TheGDog

WKR
I'm #19 on the waiting list over on Outdoorsman's. Despite my better judgement, I'm freakin doin' it.

That test Marsupial Gear posted on their instagram page sealed the deal for me. Credit Card be Damned!

I hate you guys. I just had a Kowa 554 show up at my door today. I almost bought the STS 65 but went with the Kowa because of its size and weight and until now I though swaro didn’t make anything comparable in size.

another one for the collection,ive bought once and cried once several times with my swaros.itll beat carrying the 95 around for sure.ill go straight though

TheGDog

WKR
I'd originally bought the Vortex Razor 11-33x50mm.. but for me as an eyeglasses wearer now... in the upper end of it's magnification range... I had to actually press my face up on it until my eyeglass lense literally touched upon its' eyepiece glass... in order to be in focus when it was cranked all the way up. And I DO NOT want to have to take my glasses off in the field.. that's just begging to drop them and break them somehow while you're on the hunt. Bump that noise! That Rx is expensive to.. especially once you start tacking on the coatings and impact resistant glass of better quality, etc. I'd have a mini-heart attack anytime I fumbled with that pair, cause of how much they cost me

Also realistically, on that one, after about.. I'd say 22x... any further magnification you cranked on it... it was jsut making the image bigger... BUT... more and more less-defined and fuzzier, with less of a sharp edge on everything in the FOV.

Also... trying to use both the Binos and that angled spotter. It was a PITA having to re-adjust the tripod and drop it down and then re-acquire the dang target again. Which, as you all know can be tricky, even when you make it point to remember some nearby landmarks to guide you in! No matter what you're looking at some amount of time you're wasting re-acquiring the object. And sometimes that's all it takes for them to disappear again for a bit.

So I'd decided I want a Straight spotter this time, so I can just swap 'em out no-muss no-fuss and be on target still. Or at least very darn close to being still on target after the change of optics.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I hate you guys. I just had a Kowa 554 show up at my door today. I almost bought the STS 65 but went with the Kowa because of its size and weight and until now I though swaro didn’t make anything comparable in size.
You're not giving up anything with the Kowa, and it's a quarter pound lighter and about $900 cheaper

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

You’ve used both side by side?

He's probably just extrapolating other Kowa/Swaro comparisons. It is well documented the fluorite Kowas are optical peers to Swaro, and many members here actually prefer the Kowa. It is likely Swaro has again figured out how to make the same thing as someone else and charge more because Swaro.

Firestone

WKR
The one thing I hate about my kowa is the fov is dogshit. I also have the little vortex razor and I feal like the fov is at least 1/3 larger then the kowa. So I am thinking purge both and get the swaro if it is as good as they are claiming.

I haven't looked through either of them, but the thing that stands out to me is this:

FOV @ Min Mag
Kowa (15x): 132 ft
Swaro (17x): 186 ft

FOX @ Max Mag
Kowa (45x): 69 ft
Swaro (40x): 102 ft

Eye Relief
Kowa: 14.5-12 dependent on power
Swaro: 20mm

I'd be interested in a glass comparison for quality but those are some big differences.

Q child

WKR
Meh. I'm not getting rid of my Kowa anytime soon. I really like the focus mechanism on the Kowa.
The Kowa is also a fair bit lighter than the Swaro (810g vs 970g).
No doubt though, that Swaro is going to be nice. They don't seem to miss.