Never hunted outside of North America, recommendations for first international hunt?

jpr9954

FNG
I did two trips to South Africa for plains game this year. The first was to the Eastern Cape and the second from which I returned this past week was in Limpopo. While you can often find the same game in both locations, there terrain and hunting are very different.

My trip to the Eastern Cape was split between the Karoo (think Wyoming or west Texas) and the coastal region near Grahamstown (Makhanda). The "farm" we hunted in the Karoo was "high fenced" - all 75,000 acres of it. I took a springbok and a red hartebeest there. You'd see hundred of springbok running at a time. The coastal region was more like California with rolling hills and valleys. Unlike the Karoo, it was heavily vegetated. I took a nyala and a bushbuck there. It was tough hunting. Cost for that trip was $2500 airfare, $125 for a night in Jo'burg, $5200 for the package and extras, and about $2000 for taxidermy. I still have to pay for shipping of the trophies home.

The Limpopo trip was an auction I won for $2250 which was a mix of cull and trophy animals. I flew on a Delta buddy pass for $800, had to pay another $650 to the outfitter for pick up and gun rental, and am waiting on an estimate for taxidermy. We got bumped from our first flight home so had to add in the cost of another night in a hotel.

You could do two trips to South Africa for plains game for $20K.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor

For what its worth our hunts got 10 times better when we stopped using booking agents and went direct with the farm / owner / outfitter.

IMO / IME booking agents are used as a last resort and this reflects in the quality of the hunts / animals.

If you serious DSC and SCI yearly shows are a must to attend to interview potential outfitters.

SCHUNTER73

Lil-Rokslider
About a month ago, I went to S Africa for my first “out of the country” hunt. If you shop around different outfitters for a plains game package, you could do it very easily for your budget. Some of them may negotiate a package with you based on the animals you want. Sometimes they will also offer a discount on other animals to add once you are there. Airfare can be expensive, so if you don’t already do it, get a credit card that builds miles for the airline you are likely to use. My ticket on delta for Atlanta to Joburg was about $1500.