Never dreamed this would be something I would ever do!

That’s awesome! Just remember that this could be your once in a lifetime hunt so plan accordingly. Do everything you can to inch the odds in your favor. With that I’ll say that 74 is getting up there for chasing elk. So make sure you keep your dad in mind. Make sure you can take off on your own and he’ll have something to do. Don’t let him get bored. Short scenic drives are nice for non hunters. I’m sure he’ll be your base camp support crew too. Those are some big bulls so give yourself plenty of time to hunt and learn the area as you go and don’t shoot the first 290 incher you see! Good luck!

Yuhboyrob

FNG
As a former Washingtonian born and raised in Edmonds, good luck man!! That’s a bucket list item for me and hopefully someday I can do the same. Post some pictures of your bull when you get him down!

OP
stickbuck

stickbuck

FNG
Pay VERY close attention to water in that unit.....thats the key

Thanks archer! I’ve been dropping pins on just about every tank in the unit that’s either on or close to the public ground that I’m thinking about hinting. The unit has been getting some good rain filling up most tanks. Hopefully there’s still a little left when I get there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rknight

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats and good luck! Hoping to go on my first elk hunt next year with my dad. As a flat lander I ho grew up in Hawaii and lives in Texas now it’s something I’ve been wanting to do. Keep us updated on the hunt

chadcharb

Lil-Rokslider
Good luck from a fellow Washingtonian! I'm out in snoqualmie, but go up to Bothell all the time to go to my bow shop. Hope you guys have a great trip.

Whip

WKR
Outstanding!! This will no doubt be a trip of a lifetime for you.
If it is at all possible I would really try to add another day or two to the front of the trip. The driving will be less pressure and the additional scouting time will be invaluable. It's going to take some time to learn the area once you get boots on the ground and you can do it much more efficiently without a bow in your hand.
Either way, good luck! Looking forward to the stories - be sure to post them here.

E Butler

Lil-Rokslider
Take advantage of being in the woods with your dad it won’t last forever. And when you kill a big bull make sure you get plenty of pictures with you and your dad. When you look back at those pictures it will be some of your proudest memories you had. I took my dad on every hunt possible from out west elk hunting to Illinois whitetail. Has last hunt he did he was 82 years old. They are never to old to enjoy the woods.

Good luck! I hunted 12 for deer a few years back. There weren't a lot of deer, but there were a good amount of elk. One evening, my buddy was sitting on the public side of a fence around private land. There was a good size water hole on the private land about 20 yards from the fence and my buddy got to see a herd bull with his cows come into the tank, then some satellite bulls snuck in and the herd bull fought them off. After that group left another group of cow elk moved in. I was a quarter mile away watching a different tank and I didn't even see a bird.

My wife has a late season rifle tag in that unit and we're already getting the itch to go stomp around those hills looking for elk.

OP
stickbuck

stickbuck

FNG
Good luck! I hunted 12 for deer a few years back. There weren't a lot of deer, but there were a good amount of elk. One evening, my buddy was sitting on the public side of a fence around private land. There was a good size water hole on the private land about 20 yards from the fence and my buddy got to see a herd bull with his cows come into the tank, then some satellite bulls snuck in and the herd bull fought them off. After that group left another group of cow elk moved in. I was a quarter mile away watching a different tank and I didn't even see a bird.

My wife has a late season rifle tag in that unit and we're already getting the itch to go stomp around those hills looking for elk.

That’s awesome! I’m really hoping to see some good elk activity near the tanks. Could really make things interesting.

OP
stickbuck

stickbuck

FNG
Heading out the door in about 7 hours to start the journey to unit 12. Haven’t been this nervous about a hunt in a long time. Not sure I will get much sleep tonight. Going to stop in Salt Lake City tomorrow night so that the old man can get some sleep in a bed rather than the passenger seat of the pickup. Here we go!!

Good luck! Hope to see a great bull down in pics sometime soon. Keep us posted of the hunt, or a good recap!