Never boiling whitetail skull again

It’s been discussed before, but this year I cut the hide off the skull and then did nothing but pressure wash. I am convinced it would be fairly difficult to damage the bone. Had a high power gas one that was marking the pavement but didn’t damage any bone so I think you can get away with a lot less psi but no worries either way. Blew out the brain matter, eyeballs, nasal cartilage, and all. Spent 15-20 min pressure washing, 2 min with a needle nose plier for leftover pieces and planning to paint on some peroxide for color fade. Easiest euro ever. Used a narrow jet nozzle by the way.

Ckoenig

FNG
Interesting. I’ve always simmered first. You have any pictures of the results.

OP
AspenTimber
Small break in front was from drag hook I throw through roof of mouth and out the nose. Not perfect but I couldn’t have been much more reckless with the 4200 psi pressure washer in the dark. Would take my time a bit more with a real trophy buck.

Attachments

• C2A89DEB-811E-42EA-9D29-08D8CA32BA47.jpeg
    C2A89DEB-811E-42EA-9D29-08D8CA32BA47.jpeg
    373.4 KB · Views: 449
What about the nasel cavity? Are all the small thin bones still in there and clean or did that all get blown out so it's now hollow?

OP
AspenTimber
Inside of nasal cavity looks good, no real difference from the old “boil and pluck “with pliers method. Underside, I just propped antlers facing down and for the tops and sides, I wrapped a wire around antler and fence post to keep it from getting blown away

Crusader

WKR
Inside of nasal cavity looks good, no real difference from the old “boil and pluck “with pliers method. Underside, I just propped antlers facing down and for the tops and sides, I wrapped a wire around antler and fence post to keep it from getting blown away
So following removal of the skin/hide, you did a preliminary scraping to remove as much of the external meat as you could, then did the pressure washing step, is that correct?

AKBC

Lil-Rokslider
Did you use a hot water pressure washer or just cold water?

svivian

WKR
I would still suggest doing simmering hot water and some dawn soap to pull grease out of the skull after you pressure wash. There is no way the pressure washer got all of it and over time that will turn yellow on you. Just my advice so take with a grain of salt

OP
AspenTimber
No scraping, just sprayed with cold pressure washer .. but do agree you could soap, peroxide, or simmer if worried about skull grease … this particular buck went in the garage wall so no extra steps taken and looks good a month later albeit not pure white

Thess87

WKR
I like to leave the nasal/sinus cavity web bones In mine and I can see those got blown out (still looks good that’s just my preference). And as stated to get the pure whit bone it will have to be degreased. Looks good good luck

I tried this last year, and in my opinion, it was as gross as boiling because shot was flying all over the place…sticking to me, the side of my house, the power washer, etc.

I’ve gone back to burying. I’ve done that method with skin on, and it is ready by next fall. Trying it this year after skinning and thinking it will be done in spring.