Need your advice. KUIU Guide vs Chugach?

cmeier117

WKR
I doubt it will happen this season but I need upgrade both my softshell jacket and rain jacket. Would you guys get the Chugach or Guide jacket first? I live and hunt in Oregon and it rains a lot so keep that in mind. I am also curious what you guys use more for pack in hunts? Do you not even worry about the Softshells because of weight?

Lawnboi

WKR
Chugach. I only take a softshell if its going to be cold and i can see myself wearing it 90% of the time. Otherwise the chugach does everything else the guide does and then some. The chugach is a bit louder. When its warmer out i carry the chugach and puffy layer. When its real cold i will carry the chugach, softshell, and puffy layer and keep the chugach packed away for when its really cold.

Softshells are nice, when the weather is right for them. Some use them as rainwear but i wouldnt if i didnt have to. When the weather is not right for them they take up a lot of room and are pretty heavy. Id say it depends on where and when your hunting, however i personally wouldnt get caught without a hardshell.

OP
cmeier117

cmeier117

WKR
That is what I am starting to gather. I have always used a softshell for my rain shell too. The only reason I wouldn't want to just take the Chugach is if I had to wear due to temp. when it is not raining. I am not worried about noise when its raining, the rain will make more noise than a hardshell. I think if I got a puffy jacket and a KUIU 250 to go over my firstlite chama and had the Chugach I could be really warm. I am hot blooded anyways.

muleman

WKR
I have both and pack both on almost every hunt. I'm in much drier Utah and find that I enjoy having both along. For my climate the Guide is my primary outer layer and the Chugach is for the rain and sleet we get during Aug-October. I hunt in a lot of rock and thick brush stands similar to alders. Because of the rough day in day out usage I prefer the Guide over the Chugach for my primary outer layer.

slim9300

WKR
I doubt it will happen this season but I need upgrade both my softshell jacket and rain jacket. Would you guys get the Chugach or Guide jacket first? I live and hunt in Oregon and it rains a lot so keep that in mind. I am also curious what you guys use more for pack in hunts? Do you not even worry about the Softshells because of weight?

This year on my 10 day elk hunt in MT the Guide jacket will stay in the truck. My only top layers will be a 185 zip tee, a 250 zip tee over that for the colder times of the day, and Spindrift and Chugach jackets in my pack.

Lawnboi

WKR
x2 on what slim said. Its got to be pretty cold out to bring the guide. Ill be bringing my guide jacket for november mule deer. Like i said above at that time it will probably be on me 90% of the time

Chugach for sure.... I have a layering system similar to Slims. Merino base, synthetic thick second layer, spindrift insulating, and then my C4E jacket. Rain poncho will keep me dry if needed but I wish I could swap my current jacket for the Kuiu rain wear.

Mike

Rizzy

WKR
Chugach and put a spindrift under it if it gets cold while glassing. I tried to use my guide jacket in the rain last season, it repels water for about 30 mins then you start getting soaked. It dries fast though:)

Yukondog

WKR
Depends on climate. Sounds like the chugach is the right pick for you. Hunting in CO my guide handles cold weathee and the brief rain we get in september. I tested the guide ans attack last year when it was raining hard. Rook dog for a 3 mile walk in a down pour with no issueds at all. I was complety dry. A snap of the jacket and pants ledt them dry as well. When I need a true hard shell I will be buying the chugach line, but until then I very happy with my guide jacket and vest.

The spindeift or any puffy jacket as a stand alone won't last long on the mountain. Nor durable enough.

Matt