Need to pay more attention

tstowater

WKR
Yesterday I changed from acquisition mode to organization and packing mode. Thought I had everything figured out and that the process would take about an hour. Now, I learn that I wasn't as successful in getting or having what I needed in "inventory" as I thought. Started a short list of small things to pick up "on the way". Really thought that I had the clothes deal covered, but only one pair of KUIU 185 bottoms in the pile. Don't know what I was thinking there. Grabbed a pair of too large Sitkas and will be stopping at REI in Anchorage to find some more merino bottoms. Anyone else every do that? Since I leave on Wednesday, should have started a little earlier on this process is what I concluded.

I would not take 2 merino bottoms on a backpacking trip. The only exception to that would be if it was a fly in with a generous weight allowance and the 2 bottoms were different weights. One of the 2 would be cached at the airstrip. Tons of guys around here with more experience than I but I am pretty much done taking duplicate gear on trips with the exception of socks.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would be inclined to agree, a single pair of merino wool bottoms should be enough for a week long hunt. Merino has the added benefit of being warm even when wet or damp, and dries quickly over the brush if you get a sunny day, or in your sleeping bag at night. On warm weather hunts, I keep my merino bottoms in a dry bag with my extra pair of socks, and usually only pull them out in the evenings or to sleep in if the mercury drops. I only use them to layer under my hiking pants in temps below about 40 degrees, as I get too hot in them if I am hiking.

REI in anchorage is pretty near the airport, and has the added benefit of the amazing no-questions-asked return policy that would enable you to return or exchange down the road if necessary. That being said, their retail prices are high, and I have almost never seen them put merino wool on sale in the store (good deals can be found on their website). You might consider dropping by Barney's Sports Chalet, which is just up the street from REI and has a good selection of Minus33 merino tops and bottoms in various weights for pretty reasonable prices. An added bonus is that their staff are all passionate about hunting in AK, as well as friendly and knowledgable. Careful though, we almost never make it out of Barney's without buying other items as well...they have a lot of great stuff in that little store :)

littlebuf

Banned
Ive had all my stuff laid out on my gear room floor by category for the last week.it makes it real nice having a dedicated room for that.Ive got a little food,batteries and a lighter to pick up and i'm ready to pack this Friday for a early morning departure next monday. but i hear ya.you get so caught up gathering stuff that its easy to forget some of the basics.if you you wanna carry to bottoms more power to you.me personally i'm having a hard time with the extra pair of socks going in my pack and i'm going for a 2 week trip

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
me personally i'm having a hard time with the extra pair of socks going in my pack and i'm going for a 2 week trip

Haha, to each their own...but if I take nothing else "extra" it's the spare socks. Something about having clean-ish, not sweated thru socks to pull on at the end of the day. I was separated from my spare socks for three days on my recent sheep hunt, and missed them dearly!

OP
tstowater

tstowater

WKR
Since I am on an outfitted hunt with a guide (as a nonresident hunting sheep), I have a little more room for extras. I'm guessing that we will take a look at my pile when I get to base camp and sort from there. Really, the pile is not that big. I understand what you are saying and don't plan on carrying anymore than I have to once we get to camp. BTW, REI has some Icebreaker merinos on a really good sale now and for the money, I am willing to try to have a pair along. I am not going to post my gear list as you guys would just have a field day with it. I'm debating whether to take 3 or 4 pairs of socks, shouldn't have to thing about that.