Need suggestions for general purpose pants

Midroad

FNG
Hey guys looking to pickup a new set of hunting pants. Looking general purpose pants I can use through out deer season including bow, rifle, late season muzzle loader and into spring turkey here in the north east. I've got my upper layers squared away, and have a set of wool bibs/coat I keep in my pack for when I sit for periods of time. Also have mil surplus rain gear in my bag in case it rains. We do a mix of sits for a few hours, but can also be bouncing around different hunting properties and end up walking a few miles, or pushing through brush. It can be rather thick and nasty in some of the spots we hunt Heres some features I'm looking for:

- Highly wind resistant
- camo (as long as it breaks up outline)
- stretch/flex material
- athletic fit
- resists burs/brush/thorns
- quiet

I've been wearing duluth dry on the fly fleece lined flex pants when it's below 30 for a couple years the nylon is durable, resists water can cuts the wind well. But with my new bibs I don't really need them and they are a but bulky and can be warm if walking alot. I also have a set of the wrangle ATG pants (not the fleece lined ones). Those are nice pants, super comfy but don't cut the wind that well, and thorns stick the hell out of you through them. I also had a set of cabelas microtex pants for like 5 years. Those were great until I couldn't fit in them anymore. Ordered a replacement set last season and returned them because the new ones had a super weird fit and were very tight in the hips. So still on the hunt for a good set of pants. I'm kind of a tight wad, and don't want to break the bank but will if there are no budget friendly options, hopefully there will be some nice 4th of July sales if that's the case.

Thanks in advanced.

Fjallraven kebs are the perfect blend of pretty much everything you’re looking for. They do have a camo pattern version, but I just wear the solids. Bonus is that they have hip and lower leg vents.

OP
M

Midroad

FNG
Fjallraven kebs are the perfect blend of pretty much everything you’re looking for. They do have a camo pattern version, but I just wear the solids. Bonus is that they have hip and lower leg vents.
Thanks! I've been mainly lookin at nylon/polyester pants and haven't dug much into cotton blends. Do you know if they dry well/resist light water light snow, or a light rain?

Thanks! I've been mainly lookin at nylon/polyester pants and haven't dug much into cotton blends. Do you know if they dry well/resist light water light snow, or a light rain?
They are good with water resistance. Being the cotton blend they are in key areas, a quick layer of wax applied (easy to do if you haven’t done it before) makes them almost waterproof on the thighs, lower legs and seat area. As far as drying it’s not quite as quick as the blends you’re looking at. But all of my nylon/poly pants have been relegated to office and town duty since I’ve gotten the kebs.

Fisherhahn

Lil-Rokslider
No one pair of pants can or should be able to cover all those options. Pants for late season muzzleloader have no business in the spring turkey woods unless you are trying to sweat off some pounds. Wind is always going to cut through the comfy light stretchy pair. Sounds like you need at least 3 pair. Spring/early fall light, late fall/winter heavier fleece lined, and a pair of brush busting upland style pants. You should be able to find them easy anywhere from cheap Walmart stuff to more pricy Kuiu/Sitka options.

Redthies

FNG
Fisherhahn is right. It’s unlikely you’ll find one par to do it all. I have FL Corrugates that I use solo down to about 35*, and then add zip off merino longjohns of appropriate weight for when it gets colder. If I’m sitting, a pair of Uncompahgre pants are in my pack once it gets below freezing.

I do also have a bunch of pairs of ATG pants, including two pairs of the fleece lined ones. They used to run $25-$30 per pair (now $40), and for the money, are a great option. They aren’t camo, but do come in a bunch of earth tones. Other than turkey or waterfowl, I seldom wear camo these days.

OP
M

Midroad

FNG
Fisherhahn is right. It’s unlikely you’ll find one par to do it all. I have FL Corrugates that I use solo down to about 35*, and then add zip off merino longjohns of appropriate weight for when it gets colder. If I’m sitting, a pair of Uncompahgre pants are in my pack once it gets below freezing.

I do also have a bunch of pairs of ATG pants, including two pairs of the fleece lined ones. They used to run $25-$30 per pair (now $40), and for the money, are a great option. They aren’t camo, but do come in a bunch of earth tones. Other than turkey or waterfowl, I seldom wear camo these days.
It looks like they discontinued the fleece lined version of the ATGs unfortunately, atleast the nylon stretch kind.

I see what he is saying. But I'm not looking for the pants to keep my toasty in the cold snaps. I throw a nice base layer under them and if I'm going to be in a spot for more than half an hour and its cold, I toss on my bibs quick.

Just need durable pants that move with you, cut the wind well and stop brush from tearing you up. Q

I was looking at the Kuiu attack pants and FL saw bucks. Just hate not being able to check them out beforehand, also read reviews the new sawbucks aren't as nice as the old ones.

I have two different pairs of pants that get me through everything. Kuiu Kutanas and Kuiu Attacks. Both have hip vents which help a ton in warmer weather. If it’s colder out then a set of kuiu peloton 200 zip off bottoms go underneath. I like fleece zip off bottoms more than fleece lined pants. More versatile system in my opinion. Puffy pants for glassing sessions and around camp can be nice too

Traindriver

Lil-Rokslider
there is three in my book with a surprising price range.

1. Sitka Mountain Pants
2. Costco Eddie Bauer Lined Pants (A+10/10) and they are cheap
3. Black Ovis Cottonwood Creek Pants.

For what you described I’d try the Costco pants I’m amazed at the warmth, water resistance, wind resistance and durability. They typically show up in the stores starting in November.

ForlohFamily

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey guys looking to pickup a new set of hunting pants. Looking general purpose pants I can use through out deer season including bow, rifle, late season muzzle loader and into spring turkey here in the north east. I've got my upper layers squared away, and have a set of wool bibs/coat I keep in my pack for when I sit for periods of time. Also have mil surplus rain gear in my bag in case it rains. We do a mix of sits for a few hours, but can also be bouncing around different hunting properties and end up walking a few miles, or pushing through brush. It can be rather thick and nasty in some of the spots we hunt Heres some features I'm looking for:

- Highly wind resistant
- camo (as long as it breaks up outline)
- stretch/flex material
- athletic fit
- resists burs/brush/thorns
- quiet

I've been wearing duluth dry on the fly fleece lined flex pants when it's below 30 for a couple years the nylon is durable, resists water can cuts the wind well. But with my new bibs I don't really need them and they are a but bulky and can be warm if walking alot. I also have a set of the wrangle ATG pants (not the fleece lined ones). Those are nice pants, super comfy but don't cut the wind that well, and thorns stick the hell out of you through them. I also had a set of cabelas microtex pants for like 5 years. Those were great until I couldn't fit in them anymore. Ordered a replacement set last season and returned them because the new ones had a super weird fit and were very tight in the hips. So still on the hunt for a good set of pants. I'm kind of a tight wad, and don't want to break the bank but will if there are no budget friendly options, hopefully there will be some nice 4th of July sales if that's the case.

Thanks in advanced.
FORLOH - 100% sourced and made in America!

Men's BTM Pro Pant

Men's AllClima Stretch Woven Pant

zacattack

WKR
there is three in my book with a surprising price range.

1. Sitka Mountain Pants
2. Costco Eddie Bauer Lined Pants (A+10/10) and they are cheap
3. Black Ovis Cottonwood Creek Pants.

For what you described I’d try the Costco pants I’m amazed at the warmth, water resistance, wind resistance and durability. They typically show up in the stores starting in November.
I have two pair of the Eddie Bauer fleece lined pants and they are fantastic. I’ve worn them down into the single digits with no base layer, and into the negatives with a heavy base layer. They also are available in an incredible range of sizes.
Their guide pro pants are also pretty good if you can catch them on sale.

I wouldn’t go briar busting with either of them but they aren’t flimsy either.

Sitka timberline was what i wore from october to april this year in montana. From just synthetic underwear to double long johns. I keep moving so these worked for me even down into to the 0s. Water resistant, thicker materials good in wind and the reinforced areas and knee pads are great for hunting and didnt bother me hiking. They get too hot for me at about 65 degrees.

TheHammer

WKR
I have sitka mountain pants and the ascents. I mainly wear the ascents from early September elk to late January tree stand hunting here in Wi… the guys suggesting the kuiu attacks are great suggestions if kuiu Is your thing or the sitka ascent pants. They (sitka)recently released a pair with vents as well.