Need some lightweight shooting rest setups for upcoming sheep hunt

Hi all. I have an upcoming sheep hunt in over a years time and I need some lightweight shooting rest setup opinions. It ll require some long trekking on foot so a tripod is probably not in the cards, unless you guys convince me otherwise.

So far, Ive invested in Phoenix’s tony bag o donuts bag and the small bag. I know they ll do great for me. But can not imagine carrying both on a long backcountry hunt.. i also have in my kit a small atlas tripod, a rugged ridge rear support system and my trekking poles with an attachment in the middle.

And i do have a tripod with a hog saddle type clamp as well, which Im thinking of leaving that at home for weight savings.

With what I have, what kind of set up you recommend invest my time and focus on. wouldnt carry everythinglisted above, of course.

Much thanks!!

Dennis

WKR
My set up is a light weight set up which you might work for you. It is based on the Spartan Precision magnetic pin shooting system. My bipod is the Spartan Javalin lite bipod carried on belt or pack with two gunsmith flush mounts on my sheep/mountain rifles. Then a Spartan Davros tripod head (same pin as bipod) on my Slik Precision Rifle tripod. With Spartan adaptors on this system I can quickly switch from rifle, to optics, camera etc. The tripod can be used for shooting from prone to standing positions, but is very light. I then carry a Rugged Ridge Outdoors Extreme Rear Support (very light) for a prone rear rest and use my ultra light folding trekking poles with "Trekballs" which convert them to a set of bi-pods for kneeling/sitting or a rear rest when using tripod to shoot. PM if you have more questions. Good luck on your sheep hunt.

Attachments

• IMG_0116.jpg
    IMG_0116.jpg
    619 KB · Views: 104

Lawnboi

WKR
I’m probably the last guy to give advice to a sheep hunter as I’ll likely never be on a sheep hunt being a poor…. That said Imo the most versatile bag you could carry is a pint sized gamechanger with git lite fill. If I’m carrying a bag hunting that’s the one. Slap it over a spotter, on a rock, and it’s just at home under the rear of the rifle.

woods89

WKR
I’m probably the last guy to give advice to a sheep hunter as I’ll likely never be on a sheep hunt being a poor…. That said Imo the most versatile bag you could carry is a pint sized gamechanger with git lite fill. If I’m carrying a bag hunting that’s the one. Slap it over a spotter, on a rock, and it’s just at home under the rear of the rifle.
I'm in the same boat as far as ever going on a sheep hunt, but...........

My Pint sized Git lite filled Gamechanger was clipped to my pack while I elk hunted this fall (my shot was 50 yds in the timber so it wasn't needed) and I used it over a branch the other night to shoot a doe. Very, very versatile. It's a pound I'll gladly carry. Make sure you practice with it, though.

madcalfe

WKR
spartan or atlas bipod will work then use your puffy jacket when its in its stuff sack the stabilize the rear.
shooting over your backpack is also just as easy.
or if your planning on taking a spotter/ tripod just get a arca rail installed on your stock and shoot off your tripod.

WCB

WKR
My opinion/advice...learn to shoot with your trekking poles if you need to sit and shoot...use your pack or the guide or your knee for your rear arm rest. Or learn to shoot off your pack while sitting with your pack on end. Learn to shoot off your pack prone and as someone said above you will have enough stuff with you to use as a rear bag if needed (jacket with something stuffed in it. Maybe even just a small stuff sack with socks and extra undies in it.

Looks like you have a tripod so that is a possibility and how you support the front is you choice. I have shot A LOT of my tripod with my spotter tipped to the side...

I just personally try to avoid having to prepare anything extra when shooting. Also when guiding the more crap a guy brought with him for his shot (tripod, rear bag, gun clamp) the more shots were missed because it took them so long to get set up they had a small window of time to get the shot off or they simply didn't even get a shot off.

OP
C
My opinion/advice...learn to shoot with your trekking poles if you need to sit and shoot...use your pack or the guide or your knee for your rear arm rest. Or learn to shoot off your pack while sitting with your pack on end. Learn to shoot off your pack prone and as someone said above you will have enough stuff with you to use as a rear bag if needed (jacket with something stuffed in it. Maybe even just a small stuff sack with socks and extra undies in it.

Looks like you have a tripod so that is a possibility and how you support the front is you choice. I have shot A LOT of my tripod with my spotter tipped to the side...

I just personally try to avoid having to prepare anything extra when shooting. Also when guiding the more crap a guy brought with him for his shot (tripod, rear bag, gun clamp) the more shots were missed because it took them so long to get set up they had a small window of time to get the shot off or they simply didn't even get a shot off.
great tips. Leaning towards the poles and pack method for sure (since i would normally have those anyway).

this is exactly what im worried about.. overpreparing with too much stuff.. this Oct on my elk i was "prepared" to shoot off sticks, my pack and bipod... when it came timeto stalk my bull... my pack and poles were discarded so I could catch up... all i had was my bipod (useless on a sloped mountain side for a cross canyon shot).. Thankfully I also had my guide's shoulder, and on one knee shooting at an up-angle, made the shot.

And yes, my shooting (and confidence) still needs work, even though i got my bull.

Last edited:

bmart2622

WKR
great tips. Leaning towards the poles and pack method for sure (since i would normally have those anyway).

this is exactly what im worried about.. overpreparing with too much stuff.. this Oct on my elk i was "prepared" to shoot off sticks, my pack and bipod... when it came timeto stalk my bull... my pack and poles were discarded so I could catch up... all i had was my bipod (useless on a sloped mountain side for a cross canyon shot).. Thankfully I also had my guide's shoulder, and on one knee shooting at an up-angle, made the shot.

And yes, my shooting (and confidence) still needs work, even though i got my bull.
Dropping your pack is very very rarely a good option

OP
C
im not a sheep hunter, lol.. just a weekend warrior who tries to get out into the woods. and im consolidating a few hunts into one so that i can at least try before i gett too old to try.

but much appreciated.. i was contemplating taking some kind of rear support bag not unlike what you recommended or the wiebad bag above. im familiar with all the different tools... just not an expert at any one.

madcalfe

WKR
im not a sheep hunter, lol.. just a weekend warrior who tries to get out into the woods. and im consolidating a few hunts into one so that i can at least try before i gett too old to try.

but much appreciated.. i was contemplating taking some kind of rear support bag not unlike what you recommended or the wiebad bag above. im familiar with all the different tools... just not an expert at any one.
don't bother with a rear support bag. its just extra weight you have to pack around. your puffy jacket tucked away in its stuff sack works just as good.