Need some advise, Bow for my wife

Luked

WKR
Wife wants a bow to start hunting with. She does fine around home here during our rifle deer season.
Have any of you used the Elite Ember? and if so what are your thoughts on it?

OR Archer

WKR
Not familiar with that model. Some others to consider are the Hoyt Kobalt. The new Mathews Image would be another. A really good used option is the Mathew’s SDX or a Hoyt Axius. My wife has owned both and they are easy drawing bows and shoot/tune great. Not to many manufacturers make women specific bows anymore just short draw options of their mainline offerings.

guylaga

Lil-Rokslider
My wife expressed interest into getting into archery, not necessarily for hunting, but just something she could do with myself and my son.

Really it will be up to her to figure out what is comfortable and fits her, so go to a few shops and shoot as many brands and models as possible.

I think we went to three different shops and tried 3-4 bows at each one before she settled on a Bowtech Solution SD (same as the Eva Schokey gen 2). She tried the Ember, both Matthews low poundage bows, the Bowtech carbon bow, a Hoyt and there may have been a few that I'm forgetting but the Solution SD was the most comfortable for her.

MountainZ

FNG
My #1 suggestion is: don't start her off with too much draw weight. Start with something that is highly adjustable so you can dial in draw length and increase weight as she goes. Check out the Diamond Infinite Edge or 305.

Take her to shoot bows. It is her bow and she should pick it out. No one can say what she will like. “She doesn’t know anything.” Still her bow and she will know what feels good to her. Same process for everyone. Good luck!

Eleven

FNG
My partner wanted to get into bow hunting a couple of years ago. We went to a few local places and she tried several bows but kept coming back to the Bear Divergent (not the divergent EKO). It's compact, light, has a great range for adjusting draw length and poundage, was super easy to set up, its pretty fast and very quiet. And she freaking loves it so she practices with it all the time. We've used the adjustability of it to fine tune her draw length and poundage as she's cleaned up her shooting form. And now she's incredibly accurate with it. I'm not saying you need the same bow, but if I were helping someone get into archery again I'd look for all of those characteristics.

I recently got my wife a Bowtech Solution SS after she shot my old diamond infinite edge for a while. I had shot a 70lb model in the shop I work at and loved it for its size and how smooth it was, plus the ease of tuning. I ordered her a 50lb model, but should’ve went with the 60lb. She comfortably shoots it at 50lbs maxed out and now we can’t turn it up, but that’s no big deal. Draw length goes pretty short on the SS and overall fits her very well. I have owned a more “budget friendly” bow in the past and didn’t want to deal with the struggles of one again. That’s just simply my opinion. I guess it it depends on how much she’ll shoot it and how much you’d like to invest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lowg08

WKR
Ember is a great bow. Highly adjustable and a real shooter. Shouldn’t be an issue at all. It is the bow we suggest for all our new shooters.
I’ll just go ahead and throw it out there. If she is at 40lbs go 450gr with a good two blade. It’s what my 13 year old shoots. He’s a slow grower. 5’2” 120 and it will blow through one

PS. If you seen my response on the rubber glove post. I was out of gloves and thankful the lake was right there in sight and dude wipes in my pack.

Attachments

• 6E3598B5-F1E1-4E64-BB02-62132EF18985.jpeg
    6E3598B5-F1E1-4E64-BB02-62132EF18985.jpeg
    306.7 KB · Views: 10

Marble

WKR
Take her to shoot bows. It is her bow and she should pick it out. No one can say what she will like. “She doesn’t know anything.” Still her bow and she will know what feels good to her. Same process for everyone. Good luck!
This is the solution. Have her shoot all of them.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

nphunter

WKR
The best I’ve seen for a quality bow for a woman or older kid is a strothers hope / moxie angel. They are the same bow and still made by Moxie. I have a short draw for my wife and youngest son and a long draw model for my oldest son.

My wife and kids have had several bows over the years, the biggest problem I’ve ran into is overall bow weight followed by a spongy back wall due to low draw weight. My wives bow prior to the hope was a custom carbon spyder with all firenock titanium hardware with bomar stops and she likes the hope 10x better.

7F5C2C38-AB5F-4114-A246-BA10B82E9112.jpeg

Last edited:

Buzzkill

FNG
I don’t have an ember, but I do have a couple of fairly recent Elite bows (Remedy & Kure) and they are well made bows that shoot well for me. That being said, if my wife wanted to start shooting, I’d get her to one of the shops I like and have her start shooting various models to get what felt best to her.