Need Optics help!

Hello! Been a long time lurker, recent new member. I enjoy the information on this site. I'm looking for some optics help. Over the past few years I have been fortunate to be able to put a fair amount of money away into my hunting fund and have been able to buy several pairs of nice binoculars. I am wanting to further enhance/improve my Optics "package" and was seeking some input. I currently have a pair of Swarovski EL 8x 32 SV that I use for treestand whitetail hunting and love these for that application. I also have a pair of Swarovski EL 8.5 x 42 SV that I have taken out West with me last year to Colorado for elk hunting (I also use these when deer hunting from a box blind). I love these because it takes out "the shake factor" that I experienced with the 10 x 42 with prolonged glassing. The one time I've hunted Colorado I never really felt as though I was missing out by not having a spotter but i do feel as though having the ability to use higher magnification would be helpful. I have committed myself to at least one trip out West each year and for at least the next 2 years will be going back to the same place as last year (public land). This year i will be taking a tripod with me out West for longer glassing sessions with binos. So I guess I'm wanting input on an ideal optics "setup," so to speak. Should i carry the 8x32 (or 8.5x42) on my chest and pick up a 12x50 for tripod use? Or pick up 10x42 and leave the 8.5 at home and save for a spotter down the road? Or is there a totally different setup I'm not thinking about that would work? I do know that right now i will get more use out of higher magnification binoculars than a spotting scope based on where i will be hunting the next few years. Again, I'm set for the whitetail woods so this is strictly for out West. Thanks in advance!

tdhanses

WKR
If you have the money I’d highly consider a Kowa 554 and tripod. I have two setups one for back packing in far another for closer. I tried the 15x56 binos and while they were an ok option I prefer haveing the extra zoom of a small spotting scope at less weight.

I would put take 8.5x42’s but both work better off a tripod, also if you don’t want to send off both binos to have a stud installed buy the Outdoorsmans bino hand, you can use it on all your binos easily off a tripod.

skierhs

WKR
So it sounds like your not looking to get a spotter(which would be my first suggestion but could make less sense for your situation). I would look at a pair of 15x56 binos. Since your already carry a tripod for glassing these would make a big difference I think in what you’d pick up. Leave the 8x30 as your chest bino and use the 15x as your tripod glassing optic. A 12x optic is a great choice if you want to to carry one bino and no spotter. If you have trouble with shake with a 10x42 bino I would not suggest only running 12x on your chest. I think the 8x combined with a 15x would make the biggest difference in your glassing set up outside of picking up a spotter. You’d definitely get use out of the 12x but the 15x would give you even more worth for carrying the glass.

OP
M
Thanks for the suggestions! I will pick up a spotter at some point but i dont think that is a requirement right now. I'm going to go look at the EL 12x50 and SLC 15x56 HD and compare them. I like the idea of having a light weight chest bino with larger magnification tripod bino. I do think adding a spotter in a year or two will happen as that would add some versatility to my set up. Keep the suggestions coming!

Personally I don't feel like there is a ton gained from incremental increases in power (8-10, 10-12, etc). I played around with magnifications from 8-15 this year but felt like only the 15's really made a substantial difference compared to my trust 10x42's. So my opinion would be to stick with 8's and go with either 15's or a spotter, depending on the terrain you hunt.

Out of curiosity, why both 8x32 and 8x42? Are you seeing enough of a difference to justify both? Im asking because there are some 8's in my future and ive been thinking about it. Sorry for the derail but I gotta ask...

OP
M
Personally I don't feel like there is a ton gained from incremental increases in power (8-10, 10-12, etc). I played around with magnifications from 8-15 this year but felt like only the 15's really made a substantial difference compared to my trust 10x42's. So my opinion would be to stick with 8's and go with either 15's or a spotter, depending on the terrain you hunt.

Out of curiosity, why both 8x32 and 8x42? Are you seeing enough of a difference to justify both? Im asking because there are some 8's in my future and ive been thinking about it. Sorry for the derail but I gotta ask...

Thanks for the input! As to the 8x32 and 8.5x42, i like the smaller size of the 8x32 for treestand hunting in the thick woods that i hunt. The 8.5s were bought mostly for more open terrain out west and for the larger objective. My eyes could not resolve the shake factor of the 10x42 for free handed long glassing sessions (tripod will fix that this year). I also use the 8.5x42 for box blinds on large open fields. So i do use both for my applications but YMMV. If you dont mind the extra size/weight of the 8.5x42 they are really nice but if you already have the 10x42 then 8x32 would be a nice complement.

Beendare

WKR
My guide buddy that uses these binos 330 days a year says those 12x Swaros are the best bino they make. A couple other buddies concur. ....12's are killer.

I have the 10x SLC's and those 12x are an improved view from my 10's for sure.....I'm baffled by the comment above that says there isn't much difference.

The 8.5's with the 12's would be a fantastic combo to own.

OP
M
My guide buddy that uses these binos 330 days a year says those 12x Swaros are the best bino they make. A couple other buddies concur. ....12's are killer.

I have the 10x SLC's and those 12x are an improved view from my 10's for sure.....I'm baffled by the comment above that says there isn't much difference.

I had a chance to compare the EL 12x50 SV with the SLC 15x56 HD this afternoon (very overcast outside) and i preferred the view from the 12x50. I could definitely tell there was more magnification on the SLC but i preferred the view on the ELs. I took my 8.5s and could also tell a pretty big difference in magnification. I think either the 12s or 15s would work but leaning toward the 12. Gonna spend more time with them another day (or more) before i decide but i think I'm gonna get either 12s or 15s and then add a spotter in a year or two.

I had a chance to compare the EL 12x50 SV with the SLC 15x56 HD this afternoon (very overcast outside) and i preferred the view from the 12x50. I could definitely tell there was more magnification on the SLC but i preferred the view on the ELs. I took my 8.5s and could also tell a pretty big difference in magnification. I think either the 12s or 15s would work but leaning toward the 12. Gonna spend more time with them another day (or more) before i decide but i think I'm gonna get either 12s or 15s and then add a spotter in a year or two.

Same here. I have used both side by side a bunch of times. I saw the same thing, the magnification increase of the 15s is definitely noticeable but 12s are so good with details that I don’t think you’re giving up much if anything in the long range glassing game. Plus I prefer the wide flat view of the ELs.

gdpolk

Lil-Rokslider
Personally I would look at the following:

1. 8x30 CL Companions for whitetails and timber hunts. These are easily dark thirty to dark thirty glass and are among the physically smallest/lightest binos out there that are easy to use one handed and that don’t go dark too fast
  2. 12x EL Range - the EL 12x glass is phenomenal and your not going to loose much if anything for hunting applications by having 12x vs 15x. However the rangefinder could be handy for certain game animals and the larger lenses would be nice for blinds over your compact CL Companions
  3. Spotting scope - this gives you POWER for anything that your 12x ELs aren’t picking up offhand.

Personally I would look at the following:

1. 8x30 CL Companions for whitetails and timber hunts. These are easily dark thirty to dark thirty glass and are among the physically smallest/lightest binos out there that are easy to use one handed and that don’t go dark too fast
  2. 12x EL Range - the EL 12x glass is phenomenal and your not going to loose much if anything for hunting applications by having 12x vs 15x. However the rangefinder could be handy for certain game animals and the larger lenses would be nice for blinds over your compact CL Companions
  3. Spotting scope - this gives you POWER for anything that your 12x ELs aren’t picking up offhand.
Please tell me where you find these 12EL ranges.

I switched back and forth between razor 12x50 and my conquest 10x42 and just didn’t feel like much had changed in the ability to spot the deer we were glassing. I preferred the 10s for the FOV. Have not tried the ELs but I’m sure they are nice. I just don’t believe that an small incremental increase in power is a real game changer but that’s JMO.

Beendare

WKR
I switched back and forth between razor 12x50 and my conquest 10x42 and just didn’t feel like much had changed in the ability to spot the deer we were glassing. I preferred the 10s for the FOV. Have not tried the ELs but I’m sure they are nice. I just don’t believe that an small incremental increase in power is a real game changer but that’s JMO.

Yeah, I get it^......well part of this is what you are using them for. Not everyone needs the best glass.

All I can tell you is don't put your binos side by side with those 12x50 Swaros unless you have $3 grand in your pocket for the upgrade.../grin

tdhanses

WKR

If you get the 12’s I’d sell the 8.5x42 and keep the 8x32’s.

gdpolk

Lil-Rokslider
Please tell me where you find these 12EL ranges.
I just looked on the website and saw 8x and 10x, both with 42 objectives. I could have sworn the two powers that I played with on a hunt with some buddies were 10x and 12x, but I guess my memory failed me. I distinctly recall the higher power ones being much nicer to my eyes than the lower powered ones. So I guess I’d change my recommendation to the 10x EL Ranges.

OP
M
I actually prefer my binos separate from rangefinder and already have a Leica rangefinder that works great. The EL Range are nice but not what I'm looking for.

Beendare

WKR
If you get the 12’s I’d sell the 8.5x42 and keep the 8x32’s.

Oh man....funny...I was going to say the opposite! Not to say that ^ isn't good advice.....but I like the bigger diameter over the compact- I've had both....sold my 8x30 Zeiss....love my 8x42 EDG's.

Just goes to show....there is no perfect solution for everyone!

tdhanses

WKR
Oh man....funny...I was going to say the opposite! Not to say that ^ isn't good advice.....but I like the bigger diameter over the compact- I've had both....sold my 8x30 Zeiss....love my 8x42 EDG's.

Just goes to show....there is no perfect solution for everyone!

Haha, I mainly say that since he hunt the trees back home and in thick timber I find the smaller bino works better but as you know we all have our pros and cons.

OP
M
Definitely keeping the 8x32s for treestand hunting around here. Planning to go with EL 12x50 in the pack for tripod use (I think) and may keep the 8.5s for chest carry out West. We shall see though...