Need New Gaiters

Poser

WKR
I have a pair of Kuiu Chucaghs that are 10 years old and hanging on by a thread. They've been to the repair shop a half a dozen times over the years for strap replacements and patches, but I realistically should have replaced them 2-3 years ago. They are fully delaminated.

Anyway, interested in a good balance of breathability (my feet get HOT) and durability (local terrain is rugged). I tend to only wear them when its wet out.

Looking at the Stone Glacier gaiters vs. the Kuiu Yukons. I like the strap design on the SGs, but concerned a bit about the breathability. I've had some issues with Kuiu's straps breaking underfoot and wearing at the stitching points. Of course, I continue to be surprised my old ones have lasted for as long as they did even with repairs. I should reasonably expect 3-4 seasons out of a pair given the use and assume some level quality decline from modern Kuiu vs. 2014.

Any strong opinions?

ChrisAU

WKR
Right now you can give these a go for a measly $15.00.

This was going to be my suggestion. As a weight weenie I thought I had the bees knees with my Kutana Gaiters, and I still love them, but the size L Kenetreks I just got are a whopping 0.3 oz heavier for the pair and seem just as nice.

madcalfe

WKR
I've used both the kuiu yukons and the stone glaciers.
the SG's breathe pretty good I find my legs were always warmer with the kuiu's.
the SG's hook that goes onto the lace to hold them down never stays on which is frustrating.
These gaiters have been getting great reviews and ill be replacing the SG's with them next year, there custom made to fit your legs.

I ran a pair of blackovis hailstone 2.0 gaiters I snagged off camofire for like $40, they were great for the money, ended up just falling apart after 2 years of abuse. Running the T&K gaiters now. Spendy I know, but made in America and a very high quality piece

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FDme

FNG
I’m sold on the OR gaiters. Seems like my feet get hot more from the type of boots I’m wearing than the gaiters. Everybody’s different.

Considering a pair of kenetrek for the quiet factor through brush. but sounds like the quiet ones are only for country without burrs.

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
I've had the same set of OR crocs for 30 years. I've never had to repair them and they keep going. I do have a small cut from a crampon that I could fix. One of the best cost/use pieces of gear I have.

I'm 5 years in with Kuiu Yukons. No issues so far. I would buy them again. I don't have any experience with SG gaiters.

OP
P

Poser

WKR
I've used both the kuiu yukons and the stone glaciers.
the SG's breathe pretty good I find my legs were always warmer with the kuiu's.
the SG's hook that goes onto the lace to hold them down never stays on which is frustrating.
These gaiters have been getting great reviews and ill be replacing the SG's with them next year, there custom made to fit your legs.

The website says they are $140 USD/ $180 CAD. When I add them to my cart with the US selected as the destination, they are $180 USD + $18 shipping. Its cool they are custom cut based on your measurements, but $198 for gaiters is tough to swallow.

madcalfe

WKR
The website says they are $140 USD/ $180 CAD. When I add them to my cart with the US selected as the destination, they are $180 USD + $18 shipping. Its cool they are custom cut based on your measurements, but $198 for gaiters is tough to swallow.
when i add them to my cart there 198$ cdn shipped.
Just for reference when i add the kuiu yukon HD to my cart there 217.61$cdn shipped.
so 20$ less than kuius and there custom made to your leg and boot size. maybe try and send him a email to verify its Canadian not US

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
My Yukons are also going strong (two small patches where I snagged them pretty bad) after six -seven years. A good three layer gaiter is going to be warmish, no way around it.

For warmer (and drier) conditions I like their (sadly discontinued) Scree gaiters; I'll have to find a replacement at some point for a shorter gaiter.