Need an budget sleeping bag

I am getting geared up for a mid September elk hunt in southern CO, camping around 10,000 ft. I am on a tight budget and am looking for a 0-20 deg mummy bag. So far I have narrowed my choices down to:

Kelty Tuck 0 Sleeping Bag
REI Co-op Trailbreak 20 sleeping bag.
Kely Mistral 20 Sleeping bag

We will be hunting off a side by side so weight and size is not a huge issue. Other suggestions are welcome too. I am trying to spend under $100 for a bag and am looking at used options if possible.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

28outlaw

FNG

I picked up a Klymit Wild Aspen 0 Sleeping Bag for my son. Seem like a nice bag. I think it's $73 on sale at midwayusa.com and free shipping.​

13joshop

FNG
I picked up a kelty cosmic down 20° bag and the down on the back of bag while laying in it pushed all to the sides and I can't get it to come back. This is from 2 one week trips to Moffat CO. Was good the first year and second year we got unexpected snow and it was cold on the overnights. That bag is decent just might have to replace it after a couple uses. That's just my 2 cents and something I wish I would have know before hand. Good luck!

SMOKYMTN

WKR
That Trailbreak 20 is a good bag, but you can find better in and around that $100 threshold.

You can grab a Marmot Trestles 15 for $100 after you sign up for a 15% off your first purchase at the bottom: Marmot Trestles 15

Amazon currently has a North Face Wasatch 0 degree bag for $108, comes in at a 2lbs 14oz: North Face Wasatch 0F

I picked up a kelty cosmic down 20° bag and the down on the back of bag while laying in it pushed all to the sides and I can't get it to come back. This is from 2 one week trips to Moffat CO. Was good the first year and second year we got unexpected snow and it was cold on the overnights. That bag is decent just might have to replace it after a couple uses. That's just my 2 cents and something I wish I would have know before hand. Good luck!
Did you try putting it in the dryer (low heat) with some tennis balls?

I picked up a Klymit Wild Aspen 0 Sleeping Bag for my son. Seem like a nice bag. I think it's $73 on sale at midwayusa.com and free shipping.​

Klymit bags are awesome. We have a few of them. I have been really impressed so far.

13joshop

FNG
I have not, does that work? I happened upon a good deal on a slick back so I have been using that lately. I will have to give that a try. Do you put the tenning balls inside or outside the bag?

I have not, does that work? I happened upon a good deal on a slick back so I have been using that lately. I will have to give that a try. Do you put the tenning balls inside or outside the bag?
Outside of the bag. It should fluff it back up.

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
I was seeing some smoking discounts on midway for sleeping bags and debated just picking one up for truck camping. I didn’t look at weights but there were 20* bags for like $25.

13joshop

FNG
I have not, does that work? I happened upon a good deal on a slick back so I have been using that lately. I will have to give that a try. Do you put the tenning balls inside or
Outside of the bag. It should fluff it back u

Outside of the bag. It should fluff it back up.
I will give that a try thank you for the info!

OP
S
I have done this with down jackets and it works well. We have wool balls we use in general and it makes a difference.

mikkel318

Lil-Rokslider
I really like my Wiggy's bag and they are reasonable priced. I just sleep better in it compared to down and other synthetic bags.

Kelty Tuck and Kelty Mistral are good bags. I happen to have a couple of the Mistrals. Definitely good bags and certainly can't beat the price online or at Sportsman's Warehouse.

I've had good luck with REI brand stuff in general, you typically get a lot for your money. The Marmot and North Face mentioned are also good options, good reliable brands in general. No experience with Kelty bags, but their other stuff is pretty good bang for the buck.

OP
S
Kelty Tuck and Kelty Mistral are good bags. I happen to have a couple of the Mistrals. Definitely good bags and certainly can't beat the price online or at Sportsman's Warehouse.
The Kelty Mistral 20 is one I have my eye on now. Its between that and the ALPS Blaze 20 which I found a good sale on a blemished one.

Geez I wish they still made it but Many years ago I picked up a 25 degree cabelas branded bag. Super light and packable for like $89. I just use a liner and sleep in my base layer and it has been plenty warm for me for late sept hunts in CO. I know it doesn't help, but that was a great bag for the money.

That said, my wife and son have REI branded bags that are similar and they seem pretty decent.