Need advice

I have a paid off 2104 Ram 1500 Big Horn with 102k that I love. My son just went into the Navy and with the pay cut he is experiencing it looks like I am going to have to start paying his loan on a used 2013 Ford F 150 Crew Cab with the 3.5 twin turbo. I think he has 3 years left on the loan but I need to confirm. This was his first purchase and I co signed the loan when he first bought it. After making enough payments he refinanced it in his name but didn't get Gap Insurance like I told him. I am thinking of selling my Ram to pay to pay off his truck since I am afraid with it having 130k on it and the amount of time before it's paid off I could potentially be on the hook for a worthless truck.

Before he went into the Navy I was thinking about selling my truck and putting additional money down to step up to a Ram 2500. I would still like to do this but and wondering after reading a friend comment about he reliability of the big 3. I am looking for an unbiased as possible source on the reliability of Ram, Ford and Gm trucks. My friend had said that he bought his Ford F 250 because they were the most reliable overall with some issue mechanically but the best reliability with the electronics, he said the GM trucks were in the middle of the pack with both mechanical and electronic issue and Ram was the best mechanically but the worst with electronics. This got me thinking about my own experience and I was a die hard GM guy before I got my Ram. I had a 75 and 86 K5 Blazer, a couple Oldsmobile's, a Venture van, a Trailblazer and a Yukon XL. The Venture cam snapped at 65k just outside of warranty and they wouldn't do anything. My 2007 Yukon XL with the 5.3 l engine had the issue of burning a quart of oil every 1000 miles once it hit about 35k. At 100K I thought I blew the engine but it slugged from the oil burning with the MDS shutting down and not burning off the carbon. I have never owned a Ford but my daughter owned a Focus and that was the least safe vehicle with the transmission issues I have ever seen. They had a known issue and wouldn't cover it under warranty. When I bought my truck in 2016 the rep suggested getting the extended warranty because of all of the electronics in the newer vehicles. I turned it down and the sensor for the windshield washer fluid went within 6 weeks. When I went in for my first free oil change I asked them to fix it and when they told me it was going to cost $300 I said don't fix it for something so stupid. I then had issues with my transmission slamming into a lower gear while at highway speeds and they wouldn't replace it because it didn't throw a code. I had it in and out of the dealership 4x for that and each time they wouldn't do anything about it except flash the computer. On my last time there someone overheard my conversation and told me to call Ram and they made a case and assured me that if the transmission went on me within 100k they would replace it free of charge. I have had the transmission drop in gear only 2 more times in the last 3 years but now I am over that 100k.

So what would you do in my position and is there an unbiased source on the reliability of the big three trucks?

Thanks in advance!

Dunndm

WKR
I personally had 2 F150s and 1 F250. They all sucked for different reasons. The 150s both had transmission problems, and the 250 was leaking coolant and I was refilling it all the time. Took it to multiple shops and no one had answers. I was a pretty die hard Ford guy and probably won’t buy a Ford anytime soon. The 3 trucks all had 70-90k miles on them. Was religious on my oil changes, fluids in general etc.

I recently got a Nissan Titan, so far it handles great. Drives great and I’ve had no problems as of yet (it’s a used 2017). Has 74k miles on it…

So I guess what I’m getting at, is Ford hasn’t treated me that well. Hopefully this truck will be better, if not… guess I’ll try something different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rlmmarine

WKR
I have a ford 2000 f350 withthe 7.3 with 370k it saw its first repair shop in 10 years last month for a bad dip tube in the tank. I love it. I think about getting a new truck been then ask why. This 9nes paid for and gives no problems. My other truck is a v10 excursion with 265k. Its had a few problems blowing spark plugs out and cracked vacume lines but still runs great. And i just gotvback from a 6k road trip with it and love it.
Ive had them all and they all have their quirks. Find one you like and go with it not one is truly better 5han another.

bsnedeker

WKR
Here's my opinion as someone who was recently shopping for new trucks:

GM: Best transmission of the big 3. Motor seems a bit less than the others (I'm talking diesels here)
Ram: Best motor, worst transmission
Ford: Right between those two.

It's kind of a mama bear, papa bear, baby bear thing. I think the Ford is just right. That's where I put my money.

You can't go wrong with any of them at the end of the day in my opinion.

isu22andy

WKR
Until the other auto makers start making aluminum bodies that don’t rust in 5 years here in the salt belt , I’m sticking my bets with Ford …

NoWiser

WKR
Until the other auto makers start making aluminum bodies that don’t rust in 5 years here in the salt belt , I’m sticking my bets with Ford …

That's how I feel and is why I switched to Ford a few years ago. I take very good care of my vehicles and it sucks to have a mechanically sound engine with the body rusting out after 6 years. Heck, my 2008 Chevy had rust spots on the bumper after it's first winter. I'm very happy with my 2016 F150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost. Knock on wood, not a single mechanical issue with 115k miles on it and not a single spec of rust or corrosion.

If your son can't afford his truck, he needs to sell it.

Could be to you, could be to someone else.

Used vehicle prices have exploded in the past year. It is a sellers market.

After he gets his finances back in order, he could look into the various military discounts.

Sounds like you are ready for an upgrade. If your finances are in order, go for it.

Ford has been very good to me and my family. My wife's car was two weeks out of warranty when some wires shorted in a harness, and took down all the electronics between the console moon roof.

Upon advice from the dealdrship, we called corporate; they authorized the repairs and offered to cover 95%.

They started taking it apart and found the one wiring harness had melted into two others.

The entire cab interior was eventually pulled down to the metal. All interior wiring replaced. New electronics console.

It ended up being a $10k-$12k repair. They only billed us for 5% of the original estimate. A few hundred bucks out of pocket.

So we will be sticking with Ford and the O'meara dealership.

Deadfall

WKR
If you want reliability out of any of them...well go get a Gen 1 diesel. None of them are very good after 2003.
I'm a chevy guy. 03 duramax with 500k on it, still going. 14 Silverado 1/2 ton gasser with 82k.

The 14 has that part time v8 nonsense. Eventually atleast one of the cylinders will gum up and stop working. Delete the truck.

They are all junk these days!

I've been looking for along time for a 10 yr or beyond rig. For that you will either have to go older then 03 or move to a titan/ Toyota.

Titans and Tacoma are toughest most reliable on market. If you can find a used one the price is stupid.

Good luck you'll need it

Geewhiz

WKR
I would also say that if you son can’t pay for his truck it needs sold..

Don’t have a heck of a lot of experience with very many different trucks but I’ve got a 17 ram 2500 6.4 with about 35k miles and it’s given me no grief so far.

Do you actually need a 3/4 ton?
The vehicle market is terrible inflated I wouldn't buy anything unless you had to.
That being said both trucks should sell quickly.

Id have your son sign a power of attorney and sell the 150 for him. Pay off the loan and put the rest in savings for him.

In not to up on new truck research but Tundra would be #1 Followed by F350 with 7.3 Gas

With how far gas has come i don't consider diesel cost bais worth it any more.

I agree with the above. He is a grown man so he need to learn that responsibility and sell his truck. No reason he can’t sell it in this market for good money. Hope you have learned your lesson with co-signing. Terrible idea.

I have three boys and tell them often, some times I need to love them enough to let them have problems. Otherwise they won’t know how to deal with stuff when Dad isn’t around to bail them out.

As far as the trucks go, it really depends on which one matches your needs and style. They all have their good and bad stuff to them

After using gasser F250’s and diesel Ram 3500’s for work I will take the Ford.

These are used in the oil fields. Usually driven 140-250 miles round trip, then they sit there and idle all day. Some of our Fords had 200,000+ miles on them with about triple the hours they should. The Rams had lots of electrical issues and just seemed like a pos.

Rich M

WKR
Too diff to read a giant paragraph.

You gotta pay for something and it looks like you need 2 trucks, one for you and one for kid in service.

Buy a couple toyotas and drive trucks that dont break.

I was a chevy guy. Had ford and it let me down. We use toyota as fleet trucks, replacing the fords that break by 180k. One guy likes Dodge but rest cant keep em running as long as fords. Toyotas are over 200k and no major fixes.

Good luck.

Buck197

WKR
It's kind of a rough time to be buying a 3/4 ton. They are selling alot of times for more than they are worth...I'm actually hearing people say I sold it for more than I paid left and right, true or false, I don't know. I bought a powerstroke in July, my 4th one and I swear by it. I think that Cummins is good as gold as well. When you really get down to it there's ford folks dodge and Chevy folks, but the trucks themselves are more or less comparable. They 3ach have strengths and weaknesses, but they'll all do everything you need em to within reason if you take care of em. That said, I pull a horse/cattle trailer, but I'm thinking of buying 1 of the new tundra just as a hunting piddling rig..Everything over read of em on here those things are the boss.

hodgeman

WKR
Let junior take care of his own truck...if he can't swing it, sell it. If you want to sell yours to pay off his, call it a gift and be done with it.

As far as new 3/4 tons, I've had all of them in fleets...and they all suck in one way or another. You couldn't give me a new diesel unless I pulled a horse trailer everywhere and I'm not sure even then.

I'd buy a Toyota and call it a day.

Chaseum

FNG
Here's my opinion as someone who was recently shopping for new trucks:

GM: Best transmission of the big 3. Motor seems a bit less than the others (I'm talking diesels here)
Ram: Best motor, worst transmission
Ford: Right between those two.

It's kind of a mama bear, papa bear, baby bear thing. I think the Ford is just right. That's where I put my money.

You can't go wrong with any of them at the end of the day in my opinion.
I second this

Brooks

WKR
I have a 2014 Ford F-350 6.7 diesel it has been a great truck never been back to Ford except when they recalled the def heaters. 200,000 plus miles on it hauling heavy loads all the time. I would buy a new Ford Superduty now but not at the price they are at now. I have a 2022 Toyota Tacoma also,great little truck but my F350 gets better fuel mileage than the Tacoma does.

Tmac

WKR
I’d go Tundra. A low to moderate mileage 16-18 SR5 or above to keep the tranny cooler and get the 38 gallon gas tank. It’s as or more American made than the big three as far as I know.