Need Advice on Crossbow

EdP

WKR
I'm a longtime rifle and muzzleloader (flintlock) hunter considering a crossbow, but I have no experience with them. Eastern whitetails is what I would be using it for mostly but might consider other game in the future. I don't want something that I have to take to someone else to get tuned or something that is fickle and easily put out of good working order. Something that is pretty quiet at the shot is important too, and I'd like to have an effective range out to 50 or 60 yds. The Excalibur Assassin 400 TD is looking good to me right now but I sure could use some input from experienced hands. Is my wish list reasonable? Would you recommend the Excalibur or something else?

Thanks for your input.

Tod osier

WKR
Not many out in the open crossbow hunters here. The Excalibur will do most of what you ask. They will have all the accuracy you need at 60 (mine has group sizes sub 2" at 60 for as many shots as you like), you have to decide what travel time from release to impact is acceptable to you more so than accuracy. No tuning to be done. Warranty is good.

They are loud, a heavier string and arrow and cat whiskers make a difference, but they are louder than a compound.

Augie

Lil-Rokslider
What's the purpose of buying a crossbow instead of a compound, recurve, or longbow?

I've got some family members that are exclusively crossbow hunters, and use exclusively the cheapest bows/bolts they can find. The stacks of deer they have killed with them have me convinced that there is no need to spend big on a crossbow, but you do need a really sharp broadhead and good shot placement to avoid a rodeo (just like any other bow variant).

That being said, I'll be using my compound bow barring an injury.

What's the purpose of buying a crossbow instead of a compound, recurve, or longbow?
physical limitations, my dad has to use one because he can't pull his compound anymore. After pulling wrenches for over 45 years his shoulders, elbows & wrists are completely shot

OP
E

EdP

WKR
Augie said:

Accuracy, transferable skill from rifle, and although I'm still fit and agile I'll be 68 this coming deer season. I want to take advantage of the archery deer season here and the increased opportunities it gives to put deer in the freezer, but I don't want the learning curve of a compound or a totally new hobby.

Wheels

WKR
In my opinion, crossbows are a 40 yd and under weapon. They are loud and definitely get a reaction from the game you are shooting at. They are very accurate but if your quarry isn’t where you shot at it when the bolt gets there, then you are asking for trouble.
My son shoots one and we have attempted the 50-60yd shots at game, had a doe that came unglued and was 8 feet from where she was feeding contently by the time the bolt arrived exactly where she used to be.

I used one for a while before I was more confident with my compound. It’s a Centerpoint Sniper 370. My dad bought it for me when I was younger and still in school and it worked great. The scope that came with it was messed up, but they sent me a new one for free and haven’t had another issue. The scope has a reticle for out to 45 yards with a standard bolt set up and I learned I couldn’t shoot at the same spot out to that distance so I’m sure I could take it farther. Killed a couple deer with it, a doe at about 35 yards and a buck at maybe 10. Don’t have experience with the more expensive ones but I’m sure they’re even better (faster for sure, quieter, maybe more accurate?). Lots of videos on YouTube on this model, and plenty others.

My advice is to get as much speed and maneuverability as you wanna pay for. The new models that are real narrow would be much less cumbersome in a deer stand. Those are the two features I’d pay for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
E

EdP

WKR
If you get one, spend the money and get a Ravin if its within your budget...,
I could consider the Ravin 10x price wise. I definitely like the compact design. Why a Ravin over the Excalibur?

Well to be fair, I have never tried an Excaibur...but I used my buddies Ravin on our lease for a few weeks and fell in love with it, from cocking it, the accuracy, quietness, and speed everything was top shelf and made mine feel like something from the dark ages. Its not within my budget for now, if FL would allow crossbows during archery for WMA's I would find a way to make it work.

WKR
Regarding noise, I had been curious about the actual difference between crossbow and compound so I just measured it.

Excalibur 340 td. 81 decibels, around 310 fps, 441 grain arrow weight

Bowtech Realm X. 75 decibels around 280 (guesstimate) fps, 515 grain arrow weight

I controlled for distance from the microphone and used a simple app on my phone as the measuring device.

Interpreting decibels is a bit challenging as it is a logarithmic scale. Roughly, for every 10 dB increase, the perceived "loudness" doubles.

So, my crossbow is approximately 1.6x as loud as my compound.

Last edited:

JjamesIII

WKR
I'm a longtime rifle and muzzleloader (flintlock) hunter considering a crossbow, but I have no experience with them. Eastern whitetails is what I would be using it for mostly but might consider other game in the future. I don't want something that I have to take to someone else to get tuned or something that is fickle and easily put out of good working order. Something that is pretty quiet at the shot is important too, and I'd like to have an effective range out to 50 or 60 yds. The Excalibur Assassin 400 TD is looking good to me right now but I sure could use some input from experienced hands. Is my wish list reasonable? Would you recommend the Excalibur or something else?

Thanks for your input.
This is the archery forum, you might get more replies in the gun section 😜lol, just bustin’ on you

msalm

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Mission SubMOA that impresses me. I also shoot training wheel AND a custom recurve. Whatever floats your boat. IMO the Mission is like a precision custom rifle vs a remchester/savage type rifle.

Augie

Lil-Rokslider
Most that I know that hunt with a crossbow punch a tag way before most with a recurve or longbow.
Most that I know who rifle hunt punch a tag way before most anyone who use archery equipment. Poor comparison IMO. Ease of use is not the purpose of hunting, if it was then we wouldn't bother with hunting and just pay for meat at the grocery store like everyone else . The statement you just made adds to the point that crossbows should not be considered as part of "archery" season, but instead should have their own short season like muzzleloader since they are more efficient providing you more opportunities.

2muchhp

WKR
Read into it as you may a comparison or whatever.
Or read it as it was intended, a simple and true answer to a question.

Dented

WKR
I looked at the Excalibur take down, really liked ot but I went with a Ravin. First, damage to my shoulder precluded using my bow. The ease of cocking with the crank was worth the cost. Second, the Ravin was narrow. I don't think any crossbow will be a truly feasible weapon past 40 yards until the bolt speeds approach 1000 fps. It's sound speed vs. arrow speed. Just 1 guys uneducated opinion. I just get closer.

That being said, a sharp fixed blade broadhead has worked wonders for me.

I've got a used Scorpyd deathstalker 420 that continues to impress.

Not the first owner. Completely trouble free. Fast. Stupid accurate. As quiet as any ravin or tenpoint. Can work on it without a press. Like swap cables and string without a press.

Completely drama free. Piles of deer in the fridge with it.

And when the time comes. Will resell for what I paid or more.

Downside. No crank.