Need advice , my pup is getting aggressive ..

OP
CRJR45

CRJR45

WKR
Thanks everyone . I ordered a heavy duty crate , he destroyed the first one . I got rid of all the treats and I'll start feeding him once a day . I'll stop letting him get away with the dumb stuff also .

Maybe its how its sounds but beating has a different meaning than a physical correction. Grabbing them by the scruff, a heeling stick or prong collar, flipping them over and holding them down all forms of physical pressure that i use but when I hear some one say beat the dog it makes me picture them cowering in the corner out of fear not out of learning what you want to teach them. I suppose I assume the worst in people but an ass whopping is warranted some times you just have to have the restraint not to go to far.
Great point…

Also, if you are going to pin them down, I would hold their mouth shut so they can’t nip or bite. If you are going to apply physical pressure to assert dominance, you have to anticipate they will fight back. Holding their mouth shuts ensures it won’t escalate past the point of no return.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Also, if you are going to pin them down, I would hold their mouth shut so they can’t nip or bite. If you are going to apply physical pressure to assert dominance, you have to anticipate they will fight back. Holding their mouth shuts ensures it won’t escalate past the point of no return.
I was going to say similar. Be real careful biting their ears or lips. Make sure you have a good grip on their muzzle. They can be lightning quick and it’s amazing how bad a dog bite can be!

Getting to this thread a little late. I am on my 4th weim to this date having lived with them the past 25 years. Your pup looks like a blue. They are another level of energy in my experience. Maybe even a little neurotic at times. Weims will try to run the show in most cases. They are an alert dog that always feel responsible for the house and family. They don't respond well to verbal reprimand in my experience. They are however extremely easy to train. Your dog seems to be food driven. That makes training even easier. The basics of come, sit, down, and most of all drop. As mentioned above, he does not eat until given "ok". He does not ever go out a door first. Get the rib bones after a few weeks of consistency. Lay them on the ground. After you ok him, go to drop. Repeat until it becomes boring. When it comes to a physical correction. I will not ever strike a dog. A quick snout clamp with the word "out" usually works. I had a rescue weim growl at my young daughter once upon a time. He went on his back very swiftly and held there for a few seconds. Never ever had an issue since. I would exercise the hell out of him and work obedience a minimum of 30m a day. That should ease his mind and help ya both. Feel free to PM if I can help anymore. Weims are a special breed in my opinion. They take time to learn but they are worth it.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Thanks everyone . I ordered a heavy duty crate , he destroyed the first one . I got rid of all the treats and I'll start feeding him once a day . I'll stop letting him get away with the dumb stuff also .
This thread will be very interesting. Please keep us updated every few days and let us know how it’s going.

All that being said, I NEVER trust a dog around little kids. I assume this goes without saying but I’ll say it anyway. Even if you are able to completely fix the attitude, never trust him with kids.

24/7 food access, treats, being near you guys when you’re eating. All a recipe for disaster. You let him on your bed and on furniture too? If you’ve been doing this for more than 2 years (way beyond it being a “pup”) then I think he has you guys pretty well figured. Good luck

OP
CRJR45

CRJR45

WKR
This thread will be very interesting. Please keep us updated every few days and let us know how it’s going.

All that being said, I NEVER trust a dog around little kids. I assume this goes without saying but I’ll say it anyway. Even if you are able to completely fix the attitude, never trust him with kids.
I agree about never trusting a dog , I've seen it first hand . Strangest thing ever , my GF's son was petting a dog , my sisters dog , and it just turned and bit him on the face , out of the blue . It was 35 years ago , and I still think about it .

OP
CRJR45

CRJR45

WKR
24/7 food access, treats, being near you guys when you’re eating. All a recipe for disaster. You let him on your bed and on furniture too? If you’ve been doing this for more than 2 years (way beyond it being a “pup”) then I think he has you guys pretty well figured. Good luck
Yeah , I'm the problem here . He lays at my feet when I eat and sets on my lap if I'm watching TV , but not on the bed or the furniture . Thanks

tboltz34

FNG
Beating and correction are two separate things. Corrections can be with force, like how a mother dog would approach. ECollars, prong collars, healing stick, pop of the leash are all corrections using force. These are tools to TEACH your dog.

Beating can create hostility and can lead to more aggression in different environments. You don't want your dog to only listen and respect you. It should be TAUGHT the correct behavior. What happens when you're out of the picture and the dog confronts a new individual it has not submitted to?

They will learn their place when all things are through you/humans- rewards and correction. A dog is a dog and it needs to know who is in charge. Leader exercises should be practiced the day they are brought home, even without signs of aggression. Beating and killing your dog is for people that have failed to socialize and establish leadership.

Everyone is a dog expert and online is not the place for advice. Contact a reputable professional that you can trust.

OP
CRJR45

CRJR45

WKR
Getting to this thread a little late. I am on my 4th weim to this date having lived with them the past 25 years. Your pup looks like a blue. They are another level of energy in my experience. Maybe even a little neurotic at times. Weims will try to run the show in most cases. They are an alert dog that always feel responsible for the house and family. They don't respond well to verbal reprimand in my experience. They are however extremely easy to train. Your dog seems to be food driven. That makes training even easier. The basics of come, sit, down, and most of all drop. As mentioned above, he does not eat until given "ok". He does not ever go out a door first. Get the rib bones after a few weeks of consistency. Lay them on the ground. After you ok him, go to drop. Repeat until it becomes boring. When it comes to a physical correction. I will not ever strike a dog. A quick snout clamp with the word "out" usually works. I had a rescue weim growl at my young daughter once upon a time. He went on his back very swiftly and held there for a few seconds. Never ever had an issue since. I would exercise the hell out of him and work obedience a minimum of 30m a day. That should ease his mind and help ya both. Feel free to PM if I can help anymore. Weims are a special breed in my opinion. They take time to learn but they are worth it.
This is my 4th Weim , the first two were great hunting dogs and phenomenal pets . The third was a nut case , but very sweet .
This guy is smart and minds great , although a little stubborn . And yes , he is a Blue . He has all the basic's down and is smart .
Lots of good stuff here , thank you .

Austink47

WKR
I had a very hard headed plot hound for 17 years. He was a great dog but he would occasionally get the notion that he was the boss. Anytime he showed any aggression I put him on his back and pinned him by the neck until he 100% submitted. Most of the time I would instigate the situation by taking food away from him or taking over his bed.

I would also stop free feeding and 100% cut his balls off. The latter is just on general principle for snapping at my wife.

Good luck.

KsRancher

WKR
I wouldn't think twice about putting a bullet in a dog that needed it. But dang, I feel like some of you guys are getting an itchy trigger finger on this one. I have never had an inside dog. Only 2 outside farm mutts. They just run loose and have been the best dogs. My daughter could do anything to and around those dog and it would do a thing to her. When she is outside playing it follows her around and just sits down by her and watches. I don't have much advice for you though. Good luck.

Anyone ever grab a dog by the back of the neck and back hide and lift them off the ground ? I read somewhere that that is even more dominating than flipping them on their back and grabbing for the throat . Curious if anyone has ever heard of this or used this method of correction

Drenalin

WK.R
Anyone ever grab a dog by the back of the neck and back hide and lift them off the ground ? I read somewhere that that is even more dominating than flipping them on their back and grabbing for the throat . Curious if anyone has ever heard of this or used this method of correction
I tried it on a 60 pound pit once…she was a handful once her feet left the ground.

BravoNovember

Lil-Rokslider
Full disclosure didn’t read the entire thread, so sorry if there is redundancy.

I had a chessy that got aggressive over a bone, he got a couple swats and put into a bathroom for 20-30 min and was never an issue again. I have watched a GSP get aggressive at a training day and the trainer put him on his back and held him until he completely submitted. I currently have a GWP, though not aggressive, she will get into stuff and wonder out of the yard, I could beat her but would do no good, but a stern voice will essentially shut her down.

Long story short, I’m not into harsh punishment of any kind (dogs or kids) but you gotta set priorities/boundaries and if they are crossed you have to fine out what makes the dog realize you are the alpha and not them and have them submit to you. And if it hasn’t already been said, you can also just remove the trigger (bone,ball, food)

ODB

WKR
Bite his ear.
Nothing will get a dog's attention for reprimand more than that

Squeezing the web in front of the back leg also gets attention.

The first time I met my brother's dumb lab he was a jumper and annoying as hell. I put my hand on his face and pushed him down until he was on the ground saying no all the while. Whenever he lifted his head i'd push it down until he gave up. Then he just laid there until i petted him and let him sit up. If he got stupid it was hand in the face to the floor.

Flash forward almost a year and I go visit and asd I walk in he's jumpoing on everyone and barking until he gets to me. Then he shuts up, lowers his head, and looks at me out of the corner of his eye. Not once does he think about jumping on me. Everyone is stunned.

The lesson is dogs are like kids and vice versa. They need boundaries from day one. And they do not necessarily transfer those boundaries from person to person.

For older dogs I have not seen much that works other than total domination, and sometimes that looks awful because they are so far along.

Pdzoller

WKR
Looks like you’ve gotten all the professional help you need from the RS team. I haven’t read everything but figured I’d throw in my two cents.

I’ve raised several “aggressive breed” males and have found that meeting aggression with aggression fails more often than not. If you don’t intend on breeding him then you are doing him a disservice by keeping his nuts. As has been stated, cut off 24/7 feeding and control the situation in which food and treats are delivered. No ruff housing beyond the point of normal play. Walk, talk, be dominant without question or having to resort to violence.

If the behavior continues then consult an accredited professional trainer that specializes in your type of dog/lifestyle.

Good luck!