Need a new scope, looking for input

I just traded away my Tenmile 3-18x50 because it was my only MIL scope. Looking to replace it with one of the following:

NXS 2.5-10x42
NX8 2.5-20x50
Tenmile 3-18x44
ATACR 4-16x42

Going on a Ridgeline FFT 280 AI. It currently has Hawkins Hybrid rings which I really like, just a clean look. The tenmile and maybe the NX8 are the only scopes I could use my current rings with. I would have to use a rail for the NXS and would have to get new rings for the ATACR anyway. Weight is a consideration, but not the most important. I think the tenmile that was on it weighed 26oz and the rifle was still really light compared to my other rifles. I haven’t personally owned or looked through these specific scopes, I do have a 5.5-22 NXS and a 4-32 NX8. What are your recommendations?

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
tenmile to use the current rings
atacr if you dont mind buying other rings. IMO its a better scope.

The other 2 options will need a rail and pic rings to be able to get adjusted in the correct place I think based on the long action.

MILS ALL THE WAY :D

ManBun

FNG
ATACR all they way with those choices. I have both the NX8 4-32x50 F1 and the ATACR in 4-16x42 and I use the ATACR a lot more. The extra 2oz weight on the ATACR is worth it.

rootacres

WKR
I recently went down a similar road too. The input I received by the end of it was the NX8 has a finicky eye box. I guess that's what you get with an 8x system. So from there it left me the ATACR and Mark 5 HD. There's a lot of love on this forum for the ATACR, that's probably for good reason. There are also a lot of folks that are big fans of the Mark 5. I am now in that club. The 3.6-18x44 was the right call for me. I went with the Hawkins rings that have the integrated level.

The Mark 5 HD now has a 2-10x30 and 3.6-18x44 to go along with the big 5-25x56 and 7-35x56.

OP
PredatorSlayer
I recently went down a similar road too. The input I received by the end of it was the NX8 has a finicky eye box. I guess that's what you get with an 8x system. So from there it left me the ATACR and Mark 5 HD. There's a lot of love on this forum for the ATACR, that's probably for good reason. There are also a lot of folks that are big fans of the Mark 5. I am now in that club. The 3.6-18x44 was the right call for me. I went with the Hawkins rings that have the integrated level.

The Mark 5 HD now has a 2-10x30 and 3.6-18x44 to go along with the big 5-25x56 and 7-35x56.
I am not opposed to going with a Mark 5 HD, but I had several VX5hds and VX6hds that had the zero shift from traveling. If the MarkV holds zero and tracks, I am all in.

rootacres

WKR
I am not opposed to going with a Mark 5 HD, but I had several VX5hds and VX6hds that had the zero shift from traveling. If the MarkV holds zero and tracks, I am all in.

I think it will be one of those things that works great until it doesn't. I hope it works great indefinitely but who really knows. Ive only traveled once with the MK5 so far, no issues. I will be traveling again in the fall, fingers crossed that goes well. It's strange because you can find people that have had issues with all of them. Who knows if it's always the scope, could be rings or user error of some kind. I had a Razor LHT that traveled with me all over the place, I fell on it once, never got knocked off. But when you read some folks hatred for Vortex on here I should have had issues with that scope just by walking to parking lot. I think you just have to do as much research as possible, try to buy the right tool for your task and hope it works out.

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
Out of those choices, I would go with the ATACR. On my FFT, I wanted something a little lighter than the ATACR, but still solid for dialing. I went with a Zeiss V6 in some Hawkins UL's and a 20 moa rail. Probably one of my favorite scopes I have owned. I really put value on lightweight and good glass. I know some rank the quality of the glass low on the priority scale, I tend to put it #2 or #3 priority when looking for a scope.

OP
PredatorSlayer
Out of those choices, I would go with the ATACR. On my FFT, I wanted something a little lighter than the ATACR, but still solid for dialing. I went with a Zeiss V6 in some Hawkins UL's and a 20 moa rail. Probably one of my favorite scopes I have owned. I really put value on lightweight and good glass. I know some rank the quality of the glass low on the priority scale, I tend to put it #2 or #3 priority when looking for a scope.
I have owned a V4 (4-16) and a V6 (5-30). I liked them both, a lot. If I had to rank my priorities

1. Zero retention
2. Tracking
3. Weight
4. Glass

Neither of my zeiss had issues, but neither of them were asked to do more than a couple range trips.

davsco

WKR
I just bought an NXS 2.5-10x42 that would be my vote
yeah that is a sweetazz scope, if you can live with 10x max. it is sfp but being that you'll prob be at 10x for any distance shots, no issues holding over and certainly no issues if you dial.

also i generally prefer 50mm objectives just for more light, but at 10x max mag, it's still very bright. of course not as bright as a 4-16x50 at only 10x mag.

yeah that is a sweetazz scope, if you can live with 10x max. it is sfp but being that you'll prob be at 10x for any distance shots, no issues holding over and certainly no issues if you dial.

also i generally prefer 50mm objectives just for more light, but at 10x max mag, it's still very bright. of course not as bright as a 4-16x50 at only 10x mag.
Yeah I mean I plan to dial everything over 200. 10x is actually pretty good because even at closer shots dial to 5x and all wind holds are just halved. As for 10x if max distance is 500/600 some where between 8-10x is where you probably want to be so you can spot impacts and be able to get back on in case you need a follow up shot

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
I have owned a V4 (4-16) and a V6 (5-30). I liked them both, a lot. If I had to rank my priorities

1. Zero retention
2. Tracking
3. Weight
4. Glass

Neither of my zeiss had issues, but neither of them were asked to do more than a couple range trips.
The biggest benefit I've seen in upgrading to the Atacr over nxs & nx8, is the glass. If it's low priority for you, why spend the extra $$. Go with a NXS or Nx8.

WKR
I'd go seekins rail, seekins or ARC rings, and the ATACR. Which is what I have on my lightish 6.5-284. Seems very solid to me. I have the 2.5-10 on my 6.5x47 and its a very nice setup too.

I take the extra step to bed the rails to the receivers to do everything I can to avoid zero shifts on drops or falls in the mountains.

So many good scopes out there these days. Good luck.

I’d think the NSX compact would be pretty short for a long action. They fit perfect on a short or medium action though.

Post 21 of this thread has a picture.

Last edited:
I’d think the NSX compact would be pretty short for a long action. They fit perfect on a short or medium action though.

Post 21 of this thread has a picture.

Yes that need to be a consideration for sure

DosAmigos

FNG

Spot on. I went down the same road. Settled with 3.6-18x44 MK5 & the 5-25x56 MK5 out of the two I prefer the 3.6-18x44. That being said I’ve been playing with the trijicon Tenmile and it’s built solid and tracks great.

Wright406

WKR
I know its not on your list but the Maven RS3.2 may meet your requirements. I'm a fan of mine.