Need a new pad

SDHNTR

WKR
Well after about 5 yrs my Big Agnes insulated air core pad took a dive on me this weekend. So do I replace it with a new one? Or is there something better out now? It needs to fit into a BA bag's rectangle sleeve and be insulated. Lighter and more compact would be a plus. What say y'all?

I just sent a Neoair Xtherm (that was several years old), back to Thermarest for a small leak repair and they just sent me a new one. No questions asked. Big Agnes may do the same, I would at least give it a try and see what they will do for you. Otherwise, I have a small Xlite (7.5 oz.) and a regular Xtherm (15 oz.) that I use for different situations and I would highly recommend either one. A lot of folks have a hard time dealing with the "noise" that you get when moving around on the Xtherms, it's never bothered me though, I tend to go to sleep pretty quickly as I am usually pretty tired by the end of the day.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I have had good success with Big Agnes warranty on their pads in the past. Have sent a couple in over the year and always promptly resolved the issue.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
I have had good success with Big Agnes warranty on their pads in the past. Have sent a couple in over the year and always promptly resolved the issue.

Yeah, I suppose I could do just that. I'm not sure where it's leaking. It's a slow leak that I'm honestly a little too lazy to chase down.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Ha. You know though, I wouldn't mind self inflating. After a hard day I hate having to blow that dang thing up. I wouldn't mind something entirely new.

I have heard the same about BA; if they do charge you for a repair it will be minimal. Having said that, it sounds like you are in the market for an upgrade if there are significant improvements; and I would say that it's a matter of preference.

I have a BA Q-Core that I can bring if I need light weight insulation, but I much prefer my Nemo pad. I could do without the integrated pumps that Nemo and Exped insist on; they are added bulk and weight for convenience. The horizontal baffles help sliding on hills and just plain feel more comfortable compared to the vertical ones on the BA and the pillow baffle, which isn't big enough to solely act as your pillow, does help get some loft and keep your real pillow in place. For full disclosure, I did switch to the 25" for the Nemo as my shoulders are too broad for a 20" pad and my arms hang over onto the ground. Unfortunately Nemo doesn't offer a 20" tall if that's what you need, but the regulars are 20".

Was at REI the other day and I was checking out the new pads. I was interested by the S2S pads, but they aren't really thick enough to work as well as the 3" pads for a side sleeper. The REI pads are interesting, but again thin. The NeoAir pads are just plain loud and again, thin. So if you're a back sleeper there are a lot of options out there, but side sleepers don't have as many. It's a little on the heavy side, but the REI Cirrus is worth a look and very similar to the Nemo Astro Lite. Exped makes a great pad, but I've read a lot about internal baffle failures on the LW models, which happen to be the ones without the stupid pumps; so thats what ruled them out for me.

Ha. You know though, I wouldn't mind self inflating. After a hard day I hate having to blow that dang thing up. I wouldn't mind something entirely new.

BA offers the pumphouse, which is simply a stuff sack that will attach onto your bag for blowing it up. If you go the Exped route, they have multiple pump options including a bag or a foam pump that doubles as a pillow. If you want an integrated pump, it is offered in some models by Exped, Nemo and REI.

edg1967

WKR

Check out the Microburst pump out...

https://www.camp-tek.com/

They won't get it all the way inflated, but you can get it most of the way there & finish it off with a few extra blows. Best of all, you can be doing other things like setting up a tent or cooking while they are filling. The 2-3 oz penalty is worth it IMO for the convenience & time saving factor.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Very cool TAK!! Makes me wanna give one a whirl! Interesting concept for sure. Maybe when my neo air finally dies. It's been 5 years and well over 200 nights on it and the dang thing won't quit. But when it does I may have to spring for this one!

Lil-Rokslider
I just picked up a Exped Winterlite LW to use in my floorless tent. It weights a little more but extra thickness should be worth it to me and my bad back. I haven't used it yet so I can't say for sure how it will work or last.

I just picked up a Exped Winterlite LW to use in my floorless tent. It weights a little more but extra thickness should be worth it to me and my bad back. I haven't used it yet so I can't say for sure how it will work or last.

I hadn't seen that one yet, looks awesome! Great warmth to weight ratio. Don't know how well a tapered mat would work in a BA bag like the OP has.

jm1607

WKR
I tried the Winterlite and I just couldn't do it because of the shape.. I sleep on my stomach and kick my knee out at night.. I ended up returning it and ordering Thermarest Neoair X-therm MAX.. Seems to be the best (weight/R-value ratio) semi-rectangular pad on the market (or at least if you're shopping for L/W pads).. And it's made in the USA! Still waiting for it to come in the mail but I think I'll like it.. Heard they are a little noisy but I'll have to wait and see for myself.. Noise is pretty subjective

I think if you sleep on your back or are fine with the tapered mat style the winterlite and downlite are both unbeatable.. It's just not for me!

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
How does the Neoair semi rectangle shape fit into a Big Agnes sleeve? I'm concerned that the voids would make cold spots.

charvey9

WKR
I just sent a Neoair Xtherm (that was several years old), back to Thermarest for a small leak repair and they just sent me a new one. No questions asked. Big Agnes may do the same, I would at least give it a try and see what they will do for you. Otherwise, I have a small Xlite (7.5 oz.) and a regular Xtherm (15 oz.) that I use for different situations and I would highly recommend either one. A lot of folks have a hard time dealing with the "noise" that you get when moving around on the Xtherms, it's never bothered me though, I tend to go to sleep pretty quickly as I am usually pretty tired by the end of the day.

That's good to know. I use a NeoAir Xlite most of the time, but have had a Pro-lite plus for several years I use for car camping. Just developed a pin hole somewhere on my last trip, and thought I was going to have to get rid of it.