Neck roast - French dips

Harvey_NW

WKR
Recently experimented with a neck roast recipe, and man was it one for the books! I consider myself a French dip connoisseur, and these were by FAR the best I've ever had. In the past I have never had the silver skin break down and usually end up with some of the chewy bits, and the meal is pretty mediocre. This time, I let it go the full length, and everything was dissolved and the meat was fall apart butter tender. The ticket to this was adding a little bit of liquid, it made for the flavor and juiciness of the dip, but the au jus was built in and you don't actually have to dip.

Ingredients:
1 neck roast, the one I did was probably 2lbs - makes for 2 well packed sandwiches plus a leftover.
4-6 medium sized mild pepperoncini's sliced up. Add the juice and seeds, or you can leave them whole.
Hidden valley ranch dressing mix
French onion soup mix
Johnny's Au Jus seasoning
Just enough beef broth to cover the bottom for the peppers to simmer in,
1/2 stick of butter
Pepperjack cheese
Sourdough hoagie buns

Sear all sides of the roast in a cast iron on medium high heat with a layer of beef tallow. Toss into the crock pot, add liquid, and season up (I have the seasonings pre mixed equally in a shaker so adjust accordingly. I'm all about eyeballs and dashes). Put butter on top, and cover. Low for 7 hours, shred meat, leave for 1 more hr. Turn off heat. Butter buns and lightly toast under the broiler. Stir well and load sammi's. Melt the cheese under broiler. Enjoy about 6 minutes of food euphoria!

received_842750667478001.jpeg20230520_190215.jpg20230520_203754.jpg

roast in the crock pot
2v au ju packets
1 brown gravy packet
1 onion soup mix packet.
can of light beer

put in crock pot and cook for 8 hours. break apart and put on bun. really good and easy.

LostArra

WKR
Thanks for posting the recipe.
Sounds like a variation of the Mississippi Pot Roast which is always good.

Another good neck or shoulder roast recipe is Hank Shaw's Barbacoa. Simple and tasty

Thanks for posting the recipe.
Sounds like a variation of the Mississippi Pot Roast which is always good.

Another good neck or shoulder roast recipe is Hank Shaw's Barbacoa. Simple and tasty

One of my favorites

OP
Harvey_NW

Harvey_NW

WKR
This is possibly the BEST idea for a neck roast I've ever head of!! Thanks for sharing!!
You betcha! I try to utilize everything so I'm starting to get some of the unpopular stuff dialed in. This is by far the best use of the neck I've found!

Nice! I’m going to try this! I do something similar. In a crockpot take a neck roast with silver skin removed, add three cans cream of mushroom or your preferred cream of whatever, two packs Lipton onion soup mix, one packet of ranch mix, then add a bunch of little potatoes and I sometimes add some mushrooms! Let it go all day till it shreds apart and I like it over rice! Everything comes together and makes a great gravy. Can’t beat it as far as comfort food.

You betcha! I try to utilize everything so I'm starting to get some of the unpopular stuff dialed in. This is by far the best use of the neck I've found!
This. I've found through experimentation that the neck is best used for roasts where the final presentation uses shredded meat. Sure beats spending a ton of time cutting and trimming all the sinew and everything else out of it. just divide into equal 2lb pieces and done with it.