Natural Lawn Recommendation - Montana

treillw

WKR
Looking for some ideas for a lawn/grass for my house. Located at 5400' in the MT mountains. Aspens, lodge pole, fir, and one or two ponderosas grow nearby with lots of wild roses and flowers. Typically 10 degrees cooler than the nearby valley floor and we get more moisture - it stays green into August and even September.

I don't want to spend my life mowing grass. Don't want a golf course lawn. Don't want 12" tall grass infested with ticks.

I was hoping to find a grass that grows somewhere in the 4" tall range that I could kind of just let go - maybe mow it once or twice a year. Mix in some native wildflower seeds and call it a day.

Not sure what a good species of grass is to use though. The local seed store said that creeping red fescue would fit the bill, but depending on what I read online, it seems like some of it can grow pretty tall.

Anybody been down this road? Grass type suggestions?

Thanks!

bluumoon

WKR
Try giving South West Seed in Dolores CO a call. They pointed me to sheep fescue, I wanted low maintenance and drought resistant. Way different climate than you though.

Voyageur

WKR
Buffalo grass is the first thing that came to my mind as well. I would check to see if it is compatible with your area.

Looking for some ideas for a lawn/grass for my house. Located at 5400' in the MT mountains. Aspens, lodge pole, fir, and one or two ponderosas grow nearby with lots of wild roses and flowers. Typically 10 degrees cooler than the nearby valley floor and we get more moisture - it stays green into August and even September.

I don't want to spend my life mowing grass. Don't want a golf course lawn. Don't want 12" tall grass infested with ticks.

I was hoping to find a grass that grows somewhere in the 4" tall range that I could kind of just let go - maybe mow it once or twice a year. Mix in some native wildflower seeds and call it a day.

Not sure what a good species of grass is to use though. The local seed store said that creeping red fescue would fit the bill, but depending on what I read online, it seems like some of it can grow pretty tall.

Anybody been down this road? Grass type suggestions?

Thanks!
Anyone local to you sell 'native seed mix?' My local feed and seed had a mix that includes low growing drought tolerant grasses and a low percentage of wildflowers. It was more expensive compared to regular bluegrass seed and it takes longer to establish but it sounds like what you want.

TSnave

FNG
Maybe check with your county Conservation District? If they don't know, they can probably point you towards someone who does.

As someone engaged in a similar project in a very different climate and ecosystem...

Every option has already been listed.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Bump? People have you suggestions and you don’t like them is my guess? I’d now recommend doing whatever you want, you will anyway.
I'll never understand why people take time to make posts like this. What's the point of complaining on the internet if you don't like something somebody does? Maybe you're misunderstanding them.

Maybe I bumped the post because about 1% of the members on Rokslide have read this and I'm sure there are still some people out there who have valuable information who would actually like to contribute to the forum.

Thanks for your two cents.

SWOHTR

WKR
I'll never understand why people take time to make posts like this. What's the point of complaining on the internet if you don't like something somebody does? Maybe you're misunderstanding them.

Maybe I bumped the post because about 1% of the members on Rokslide have read this and I'm sure there are still some people out there who have valuable information who would actually like to contribute to the forum.

Thanks for your two cents.

You’re welcome! Have a good day and post pictures of whatever you end up doing.

As mentioned before, your local Conservation District can be a great resource. Often times they have native plants sales and such. Otherwise I’d call a local landscaping outfit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ralphie

WKR
Xeriscape it with a big gravel bed. Throw out half barrels with potting soil and whatever flowers you want.