NAP Spitfires

Cabela's has a sale going on, so I picked up two packs. They are the compound bow option. For those that have used them, did you get any kind of entry hole with them? I shot them into a foam target, and the entry hole is the size of the head closed. No expansion at all until it went through the first layer (about 1 inch). How does that translate on animals? You can't guarantee an exit, so the entry is important. It's worth noting the blades do seem a bit stiff to open.

Jbogg

FNG
I shot a lot of Whitetails with the Spitfires over the years with good results. They were razor sharp, fly well, and no O rings required. I usually got a complete pass through unless I hit to far forward. I can’t comment as to how they would perform on elk size game.

Felix40

WKR
I’ve only shot a couple animals with them but what you are seeing in the target is what I saw on animals. I have no issue with it because of how sharp they are and how well they work.

Super 91

Lil-Rokslider
I always had a decent sized entry, as if the blades flew back as the ferrule entered the body of the animal, enough so that the entry wasn't the full cutting diameter all the time, but plenty enough to give a good blood trail. I always had great success with them.

Agree with all so far and have had the same experience. There's a reason why they were one of the first and longest lasting mechanicals on the market. They fly like field points, require very little if any tuning, and put big holes in deer. I used them with my bow and since shoulder surgery have been using them with great success out of my xbow. The blades are also thick enough to be sharpened and can also easily be replaced.

OP
C
Thanks guys. I'm looking at the 1.5inch cut models. The blades seems a bit harder to open, but they should work. Mainly want them for deer, antelope, and bears, but I may try them on a cow elk.

I generally had better entry than exit holes. Like the blades opened, and cut to max height instead of the width when laid all the way back.

Try some dense cardboard/paper or something a little thicker and put it over the target. Any reasonably thick hide will open those bladed before they enter.

The one thing I'd say is try to avoid hard quartering shots. Slight quartering away/to is fine, but like any mechanical, they can get a little wonky on hard angled shots.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I shot a bull with one from 59 yards on a hard quartering away shot that buried in the offside shoulder. So no exit, entry hole was about 1" wide, and this is one of the 4-5 streams of blood that were on the ground after he ran.
Blood.JPG

I shot a bull with one from 59 yards on a hard quartering away shot that buried in the offside shoulder. So no exit, entry hole was about 1" wide, and this is one of the 4-5 streams of blood that were on the ground after he ran.
View attachment 444386
NICE!!! My recommendation was based on potential deflection from the rib cage, especially on the broader and heavier elk ribs. If you can tuck it in behind the ribs shouldn't be an issue. Well done!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
NICE!!! My recommendation was based on potential deflection from the rib cage, especially on the broader and heavier elk ribs. If you can tuck it in behind the ribs shouldn't be an issue. Well done!
Deflections have always been my only worry on these over the top heads, but I know Wapitibob has shot a lot of elk with Spitfires over the years without any issues. I've also used the Grim Reaper Fatal Steel heads with success as well. I have both in the quiver this year, along with my Exodus swept heads.

I've had a Zwickey Delta fixed 4-blade head deflect on whitetail ribs on a downward shot from a tree...did not hurt the buck. Also an elk rib deflection with the same head but forward into the front of the chest and short recovery...so fixed are no guarantee against a rib deflection.

I have had good success with the 1.5" Spitfires over the past 6 bow seasons. Did have one slip along the ribs between a bear's ribs and front quarter on a severely quartering away shot....excellent blood trail and a recovered bear. Was stalking him and he turned away as I shot, otherwise I would not have taken a very strong quartering away shot.

cman79

FNG
After tuning issues with muzzy fixed blades I switched over to spitfires a few years back. I’ve found them extremely accurate and so long you stay off the shoulder they produce nasty blood trails with deer crashing where I could hear them. My only complaint is I’ve found trying to reuse them after recovery is hit / miss. Blades can be re-sharpened if straight but things bend easy and the flat spring detents wear out. Make a good shot and you’ll have an easy tracking job just consider that BH spent afterwards and your good.

Dunndm

WKR
Haven’t read the other comments, but I have had one crazy good experience and 1 terrible.
Crazy good: small entrance wound about a 5-6” exit.
Crazy bad: never opened. Still recovered the deer, but it was pretty sad. Good, not great shot placement and it still took way to long to expire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk