Nalgene holster question

gostovp

WKR
For those running a nalgene holster/ holder on your belt, do you find that it gets in the way when walking or shooting a bow? It’s it awkward at any time? Like when it’s only 1/2 full (water sloshing, etc). I’ve used a bladder and hose the last two years and it’s been ok…just wondering if there is a better way…

Mark.c

FNG
I have had bladders fail so I always carry a 1L Nalgene as a back up. Any of the Nalgene holsters work fine. I attach it to the left side of my pack since I am right handed. You can get a metal cup that nests with the Nalgene bottle and holster which is a nice space saver. The Nalgene also works with my MSR ceramic water filter. As for sloshing, the Nalgene can be kept either full or empty (transferred into the bladder) to prevent that. I have not had much of an issue with that while hunting however.

I am not a fan of bladders, never have been. A few years ago I switched from 32oz Nalgene bottles to 20oz bottles. I have one on each side of my belt, right where it meets the frame. I can get them out, but them in and they are out of the way.

OP
gostovp

gostovp

WKR
Thanks. I’m trying to decide how I want to rig my pack this year. We won’t be in grizz country this year so I likely won’t carry a pistol. Trying to decide if I want the nalgene holster or not, and if I even want a small accessory pouch on my pack’s belt… I’m trying to remember how much i actually used the belt pouch last year. I have an Alaska guide creations bino harness that holds my headlamp and some other basics in the small pouches…. Gloves and a beanie maybe in the belt pouch?

Mark.c

FNG
The belt mounted Nalgene pouches work great. Pick whatever works with your pack belt. Always suggest carrying a back-up pistol when legal.

BC97

FNG
I dumped hydration bladders a couple years ago and got the stone glacier hydro holsters. They fit on any hip belt and if you mount them close the pack they won’t be in your way as your hiking or anything. I have one on each side of my belt and it leaves the elastic pockets on the sides of the pack itself open for buttstocks, tripods, trekking poles, etc.

IMG_8558.jpeg
This is how mine are set up on my MR frame. They are far enough back that they don’t interfere with walking and my arms swinging, but I can still get to them.

I prefer a 3L bladder with a quick disconnect. If I plan to spike out I will carry an empty 32 oz Nalgene as backup and for additional water for coffee and Peak Refuel. I place the full Nalgene in a holster on the left of my backpack hip belt, if empty it goes inside of the pack. Works for me.

Last edited:

strongarm

FNG
It really depends on your pack and belt setup/options and anatomy. I put 32oz Nalgenes with Humangear Cap Caps on both sides of the belt, tucked in the rearmost position possible. Will your arms still hit them when walking? Sometimes. I don't notice it other than when navigating through technical terrain, but even then doesn't bother me. One or two MOLLE channels forward, however, and it's more noticeable. When I'm pack training with my dog in warm summer months I'll often carry a 48oz for him in one holster. That one I notice more arm contact, but it's not a huge deal for those instances.

For a shooting bow, it would be personal preference to have one one your bowside or not. I usually have a partial Nalgene with electrolyte mix on one side, water on the other. Never bothered by any slosh.

There is an outfit that has an option for running a hose out of a Nalgene, making it a "bladder" with hose access which I've been intrigued by, but never tempted enough to try out. That would allow the bottle to be just about anywhere with inside or outside the pack but not have the downsides of a bladder (potential breakage, leakage, etc.).

I usually run a bladder during hunts, too, but I'm still a bottle guy. Bladder just helps keep me more consistently hydrated during the hike in and pack outs vs. stopping and inevitable gulps when working hard. Filling bladders in the field can be a bit of a challenge; always feels like you need a third hand, and esp. tough on the fingers when below freezing. I usually filter into a Nalgene and refill the bladder from that. I run Playtpus Big Zip EVOs and they are taste-free, easy to clean, and I've never had one break between my hard use and those of my kids. Just gotta be sure to confirm the zipper is closed 100% before installing the zipper slide. Quick disconnect is sort of the standard now and a key feature for any bladder which has made them more useable vs. old school rerouting at every refill.

I have my Nalgene mounted on my left along with a fixed blade knife. Then the right side has a large xpac pouch and a pistol holster sandwiched behind it. No issues with bumping it while walking and it doesn't make it off balance. I haven't had an issue with shooting my bow with my pack on.

OP
gostovp

gostovp

WKR
Well I tried a SG Nalgene Holster on my Sky 5900 pack and really didn’t like it. I’m pretty wide in the torso and found my arm hitting it constantly. Gonna use the hydrosleeve in the pack and I’m seriously considering getting the Hardside Hydration Swig Rig instead of a bladder . I do like drinking from a bladder as I feel for me it keeps me more consistently hydrated.

Gseith

Lil-Rokslider
On my SG 6900 I put the nalgene holster on the belt per the instructions and hated it. My arm was always hitting it.
I took it off the two 1” straps and installed it using only the Velcro/belt loop strap on the holster so I could slide as far back as possible. Works fine and stays very secure.
Sloshing never bothered me. Doesn’t seem loud. I like being able to refill my water quickly.

OP
gostovp

gostovp

WKR
On my SG 6900 I put the nalgene holster on the belt per the instructions and hated it. My arm was always hitting it.
I took it off the two 1” straps and installed it using only the Velcro/belt loop strap on the holster so I could slide as far back as possible. Works fine and stays very secure.
Sloshing never bothered me. Doesn’t seem loud. I like being able to refill my water quickly.
Thanks! I’ll give that a try and see if I like it better.

Gseith

Lil-Rokslider
Something else to try, you can also still buy the hydro sling made by stone glacier.
I bought one right after I installed the bottle holster, but after I moved it I decided to leave it on. It looks convenient, I’m not sure why they stopped making them. I plan to try it and use the one I like best.

I went with Hardside Hydration. Carry one Nalgene with the quick disconnect and drinking hose. Another bottle just by itself. Switch the caps and straw over when the first is empty. Best system I have ever used when you want to drink from a hose and not have a bladder. I never worry about water sloshing in a bottle. The noise it makes is nothing compared to footsteps, pack zippers, accidental metal clanks, coughing, sneezing, etc. I’ve never had an animal hear me from a little water sloshing around. I think it’s more of a personal irritation for some when they hear it. Which is fine if it bothers them.