Mystery ranch, which pack?

Mbagwell

FNG
I’m new to backpack hunting. I am going to be doing a 9 day whitetail hunt in Michigan next year and then planning some western hunts. I was looking at the metcalf or the Marshall. I want to be able to haul meat out comfortably and carry all my gear. I was wondering which one and why? First hand accounts please? Thank you in advance.

Brett8133

Lil-Rokslider
I have a metcalf I will sell you it’s been used a total of about 3 weeks no blood stains in excellent shape . Great pack it just doesn’t quit fit me the way I would like .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a MR pack fetish of sorts. Among others, I owned a .mil version of the marshal, a Metcalf and now a beartooth.

The Marshall is a huge pack. I think it is more bag than most need for less than 4-5 days. The Metcalf is great. At 70 liters it does fine as a day pack when empty but packs 3-5 days of gear easily and can do more with the right loading. Beartooth is roughly the same size but you give up the snow collar as a loading option.

Unless I was going to make a habit of 5-7+ Day trips, I would think the Marshall is a little too much volume. The difference between 3 days and 5 or more days is mostly food and consumables so I tend to pack those on the meat shelf or strapped to the outside of the pack as needed for longer trips.

OP
M

Mbagwell

FNG
I have a MR pack fetish of sorts. Among others, I owned a .mil version of the marshal, a Metcalf and now a beartooth.

The Marshall is a huge pack. I think it is more bag than most need for less than 4-5 days. The Metcalf is great. At 70 liters it does fine as a day pack when empty but packs 3-5 days of gear easily and can do more with the right loading. Beartooth is roughly the same size but you give up the snow collar as a loading option.

Unless I was going to make a habit of 5-7+ Day trips, I would think the Marshall is a little too much volume. The difference between 3 days and 5 or more days is mostly food and consumables so I tend to pack those on the meat shelf or strapped to the outside of the pack as needed for longer trips.

So you can do a 9 day hunt with the metcalf as long as you pack it right? I have a while to get it right. This year I am going to be doing 2 5-day scouting trips to the island I am going to be hunting. I will be running the same pack for that so I can get an idea of how I want to pick everything.

OP
M

Mbagwell

FNG
I have a metcalf I will sell you it’s been used a total of about 3 weeks no blood stains in excellent shape . Great pack it just doesn’t quit fit me the way I would like .

I am interested in getting the metcalf from you. I can’t message yet or at least haven’t figured out how to. What size is the pack?

I had a Marshall, sent it to a new home. I also have a crew cab and a custom 3500 cubic inc pack that is currently on my guide light frame.

the Marshall was huge, I had a tendency to overpack with it. The crew cab is used mostly in the winter for snow shoe trips while the custom 3500 covers everything else I may do.

Mt Al

WKR

^^^ What he said. I have the Selway and would gladly use it for 3 - 5 days with some external pouches, the Metcalf is optimal, IMHO and the Marshal too large.

OP
M

Mbagwell

FNG
I think I'm going to go with the metcalf and use an external dry bag for my food that way i can pack enough for 9+ days. Any thoughts or direction on that would be great.

NDGuy

WKR
I have the Sawtooth and I enjoy it a lot. Hauled out my brother's deer with it and it carries a bow nicely. I liked they got rid of some of the excess buckles but some people may not enjoy that. I think the frame is much improved over the original guidelight. Better belt, padding and comfort IMO.

THBZN

Lil-Rokslider
Get the Beartooth for the out West hunt where you need more room, etc., and pick up the Mule as a bag only option for day hunts in MI, deer, etc. where you don't need the same volume. Just a thought. Both will fit on the GuideLight MT frame (2020) so you will have one frame and two bags.

Brett8133

Lil-Rokslider
Andy 57 sale is pending he ask me to hold it for a week so I am if it falls through I will post it for sale on here

I’m new to backpack hunting. I am going to be doing a 9 day whitetail hunt in Michigan next year and then planning some western hunts. I was looking at the metcalf or the Marshall. I want to be able to haul meat out comfortably and carry all my gear. I was wondering which one and why? First hand accounts please? Thank you in advance.
I’m sorry I can’t answer your pack questions but if you don’t mind where are you doing a 9-day hunt? Are you going to manitou Island? Is it gonna be a backpack style hunt or will you set a base camp up? I am from south east Michigan myself and we hunt the pigeon river country. If you have a post about it link it and we won’t clutter this thread up