Mystery Ranch sawtooth 45

I've had my Sawtooth 45 going into it's 3rd season now. I have zero complaints and I won't be looking to replace it anytime soon. It's a tank! Its a very good size for use as a day pack, and allows for 2-3 days overnight, depending on weather conditions. You could also gain 700CI by adding the Hunter Day Lid. I have one but haven't used it yet. I store it between my bag and frame.

If I felt the need for a bigger bag, I would add the Beartooth 80, bag only, since the MR Guide Light MT frame is used for all the MR hunting packs, except the Pop Ups. It will allow for staying out more days, especially when more room is needed for additional cold weather gear. With the frame, Sawtooth and Beartooth bags, you would be set for any situation. I believe the frame is rated for 110lb loads. Being 66 y/o, I keep my loads around 60-65 lbs even if it means an extra trip. I find it to be as comfortable as a load of meat can be.

I've heard of a few users experiencing a squeak in their frame, but neither I, nor my buddies, have had any such problem. The most important thing in the whole deal, is making sure that the frame fits well and that you are comfortable.

Too bad you didn't decide on this a bit sooner. Multiple outlets just had great Labor Day sales at 25% off. Keep watching BlackOvis and Camofire for more sales.

Last edited:
i run a sawtooth exclusively, from squirrel open to close, meaning squirrel and all seasons and species in between + fishing.

my pack base, what always is in it that is from bottom to top:
20* bag in the bottom inside
1.5l pot with 2 days food nested inside, atop sleeping bag:
-tuna packets, pb&chocolate granola bars, shelled pistachios, oatmeal, ramen.
220g fuel
game bags in drysack between fuel and pot (prevent rattle)
pillow tucked in some crevice
socks tucked in some crevice
2l bladder in bladder pocket

this takes you about the middle of the pack height wise

in the uzip pockets, 1 has first aid kit + epipen, the other has small battery bank, paracord, charge cord, homemade firecord, stakes, water system and backup flashlight.

the lid pocket top exterior has my kill kit (game shears, fixed and folding knife, sharpener, gut/skin knife)

tent poles in one ext side pocket. tent rolled up tight, wrapped shut like youre trussing a roast with paracord stuffed in a cylindrical drysack strapped under top buckles.

sometimes ill toss my pad on the uzip straps, small waterproof container with tackle (bout 3-4 cell phones high, a cell phone long) and fillet knife may occupy interior space.

edit, my only want/wish/change would be if the bag was not attached to the loadshelf, instead it went frame-loadshelf to backstrap pack and the bag attached to that. im sure it could be done, but if it came standard, thatd make it truly convertible IN the field

i have my light carabinered into the other ext side pocket, i have my game chokers carabinered off the back.

that setup allows me to pack more bricks of food and layers situation dependent. be exceptionally mobile for dropping camp and/or bag, again, game dependent. 4-5 days has been done without much in the way of cumbersome or wishing for more. base weight is 30# with 0% of my gear being "lightweight" by any stretch, no pockets or accessory lids and not utilizing the load shelf.

ill snap some picks over lunch. youll definitely want to put in some hikes/walks/camps/hunts to get YOUR system down though. i would be way to distracted if hunt day 1 i was messing with pack load and organization.

Last edited:
OP
R

Robbie928

FNG
i run a sawtooth exclusively, from squirrel open to close, meaning squirrel and all seasons and species in between + fishing.

my pack base, what always is in it that is from bottom to top:
20* bag in the bottom inside
1.5l pot with 2 days food nested inside, atop sleeping bag:
-tuna packets, pb&chocolate granola bars, shelled pistachios, oatmeal, ramen.
220g fuel
game bags in drysack between fuel and pot (prevent rattle)
pillow tucked in some crevice
socks tucked in some crevice
2l bladder in bladder pocket

this takes you about the middle of the pack height wise

in the uzip pockets, 1 has first aid kit + epipen, the other has small battery bank, paracord, charge cord, homemade firecord, stakes, water system and backup flashlight.

the lid pocket top exterior has my kill kit (game shears, fixed and folding knife, sharpener, gut/skin knife)

tent poles in one ext side pocket. tent rolled up tight, wrapped shut like youre trussing a roast with paracord stuffed in a cylindrical drysack strapped under top buckles.

sometimes ill toss my pad on the uzip straps, small waterproof container with tackle (bout 3-4 cell phones high, a cell phone long) and fillet knife may occupy interior space.

edit, my only want/wish/change would be if the bag was not attached to the loadshelf, instead it went frame-loadshelf to backstrap pack and the bag attached to that. im sure it could be done, but if it came standard, thatd make it truly convertible IN the field

i have my light carabinered into the other ext side pocket, i have my game chokers carabinered off the back.

that setup allows me to pack more bricks of food and layers situation dependent. be exceptionally mobile for dropping camp and/or bag, again, game dependent. 4-5 days has been done without much in the way of cumbersome or wishing for more. base weight is 30# with 0% of my gear being "lightweight" by any stretch, no pockets or accessory lids and not utilizing the load shelf.

ill snap some picks over lunch. youll definitely want to put in some hikes/walks/camps/hunts to get YOUR system down though. i would be way to distracted if hunt day 1 i was messing with pack load and organization.
I appreciate that breakdown that really helps! I plan on picking up ether the saw tooth or Metcalf in the next couple weeks so I can start doing hikes with it and getting a system down

I appreciate that breakdown that really helps! I plan on picking up ether the saw tooth or Metcalf in the next couple weeks so I can start doing hikes with it and getting a system down
20220921_210548.jpg
Side shot loaded for 2 days minimum.

20220921_210644.jpg
Top down with homemade gamechoker/paracarod quick ties.

20220921_210706.jpg
Carabiner +key ring + cowhitch knots to noose at keyring bottom. There's three sets there, so basically noose and key ring at each end of paracord, hitched in the middle around a keychain. Can use as a choker Keychain. Un hitch one for tarps, hanging meat, tiedowns, etc. Usually make a new one each year as grime works its way into the cord.

20220921_210732.jpg
Yellow is tent+tarp. Bottom of the bag is an ascend 20* long/wide mummy bag. The 1.2l Stanley stove has 2 days food nested. Blue bag is 5 or 6 polypropylene meat sacks (think potatoe sack meets tarp). Small dark blue is pillow. Behind that is a 440g iso fuel. Behind them is the 2l bladder.

20220921_210746.jpg
Extra paracord 1, battery bank, charge and fire cord. Stove and tent stakes.

Next zipper up is first-aid +epi+water system

20220921_210751.jpg
The lid zipper has my kill kit, game shears, fold, fixed and a gut/skin knife, knife sharpener too.

20220921_210801.jpg
Food nested.

20220921_210848.jpg
*important side shot*
Flashlight on left, choker bottom. The lid I fold back inwards to form a box top (given plenty of smpty space inside) and put the tent+tarp+trussed paracord to keep tight on top.

20220921_211007.jpg
Packed up.

20220921_211002.jpg
Packed up. You can see on the right my tent poles. No the chokers don't ever get hung up, whether in use, or stored as seen.

I'd guesstimate I have roughly 1/3-2/5 capacity to fill without getting creative. None of this is UL stuff and many things are budget friendly for the most part.

Only thing not pictured is my mat (straps on back where choker is) or sleeping pad or canvas blanket (3x7). Rarely if ever all three.

If I HAD to get creative, I'd just dump the tent and poles, and just run my tarp. As measured, this would be 30# with full bladder and 2 500ml water bottles inside.

Last edited:
Keep in mind, in these conditions :Screenshot_20220921-215531_Gaia GPS.jpgScreenshot_20220921-215755_Chrome.jpg

I'm wearing long john top with a long sleeve shirt, stocking cap, long under and duluth trading whaleback pants, danner skyridge and wool socks, and a wool sweater tucked in my pack with thinsulate leather gloves in case of an emergency. Can't remember the total, but it dumped maybe 4-5" of snow the day/night before?

And I contemplated taking off my long sleeve shirt I was almost too warm, I had to slow down my pace.

OP
R

Robbie928

FNG
View attachment 454685
Side shot loaded for 2 days minimum.

View attachment 454686
Top down with homemade gamechoker/paracarod quick ties.

View attachment 454688
Carabiner +key ring + cowhitch knots to noose at keyring bottom. There's three sets there, so basically noose and key ring at each end of paracord, hitched in the middle around a keychain. Can use as a choker Keychain. Un hitch one for tarps, hanging meat, tiedowns, etc. Usually make a new one each year as grime works its way into the cord.

View attachment 454698
Yellow is tent+tarp. Bottom of the bag is an ascend 20* long/wide mummy bag. The 1.2l Stanley stove has 2 days food nested. Blue bag is 5 or 6 polypropylene meat sacks (think potatoe sack meets tarp). Small dark blue is pillow. Behind that is a 220g iso fuel. Behind them is the 2l bladder.

View attachment 454704
Extra paracord 1, battery bank, charge and fire cord. Stove and tent stakes.

Next zipper up is first-aid +epi+water system

View attachment 454705
The lid zipper has my kill kit, game shears, fold, fixed and a gut/skin knife, knife sharpener too.

View attachment 454706
Food nested.

View attachment 454707
*important side shot*
Flashlight on left, choker bottom. The lid I fold back inwards to form a box top (given plenty of smpty space inside) and put the tent+tarp+trussed paracord to keep tight on top.

View attachment 454708
Packed up.

View attachment 454709
Packed up. You can see on the right my tent poles. No the chokers don't ever get hung up, whether in use, or stored as seen.

I'd guesstimate I have roughly 1/3-2/5 capacity to fill without getting creative. None of this is UL stuff and many things are budget friendly for the most part.

Only thing not pictured is my mat (straps on back where choker is) or sleeping pad or canvas blanket (3x7). Rarely if ever all three.

If I HAD to get creative, I'd just dump the tent and poles, and just run my tarp. As measured, this would be 30# with full bladder and 2 500ml water bottles inside.
Wow, thank you so much for putting all that effort into making That post! You definitely have your system down