Mystery Ranch Pop Up 38 Noise

For anyone that has the Mystery Ranch Pop Up series packs, does the fabric get any quieter with use? I am looking at picking up a Pop Up 38 for whitetail hunting but concerned with how noisy the fabric is. Other than the noise it seems like a great whitetail pack.

I'm a NE woods stillhunter. I've owned a Pop Up 28 going into my 4th season, now. I blow out deer, now and then, on occasion. But I wouldn't say that the frequency of those occurrences has increased since I've owned the pack. It must be pretty quiet, since I have no recollection of ever making note, that it was being noisy. Just my experience.

Bullet proof pack, BTW. Very pleased with both, the PU28 and a Sawtooth 45. Most important is whether or not the frame fits your body shape

TheHammer

WKR
I own a handful of mr packs, the only noise complaint I have is in regards to the plastic that is used to release the Velcro while resizing the OAL. Once I’m confident the pack is adjusted correctly I remove the plastic piece. I do not believe it is that structurally important and it is definitely annoying listening to it rub. Seems the pack is a little more comfortable as well. Anyone who has an mr pack knows this noise.

OP
T
Thanks that helps a lot. Im going to pull the trigger on the PU 38. I think it will fit my whitetail hunting needs perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SoCalDeer

FNG
Quick question on the pop up mr. I’m considering buying this bag but I’ve seen reviews stating that the bag doesn’t cinch up well. According to these reviews is states that an empty or lightly packed bag will bounce around off the frame.

Does anyone know if this is still the case?

TheHammer

WKR
I have a 28 for my whitetail setup, which is similar, I can’t speak directly of the 38. I understand what the concern is. It’s not tight like the guidelight MR packs. But I also don’t find it a concern. If so and you have a glassing pad or extra clothing to put in the load shelf (area between), guys put their stands in there, I strap my sticks on the side not between and don’t have any noise issues.

Frazier92

FNG
I have been using my Pop up 38 for 2 seasons. I haven't had any issues at all with noise. It took me a while to figure out how to use all the space without over packing though!

Have used a pop up for 3 seasons. I wouldn’t say it is any more noisy or quiet than other nylon offerings (It is quieter than those whacky ultralight packs). Very happy with mine. Have carried 4 whitetails out of the woods with mine as well as hauled corn in the off season.

Longrifle

Lil-Rokslider
Quick question on the pop up mr. I’m considering buying this bag but I’ve seen reviews stating that the bag doesn’t cinch up well. According to these reviews is states that an empty or lightly packed bag will bounce around off the frame.

I have the PU 28 and it is "loose" when empty with the straps completely cinched. However, I've never noticed it moving and if you put anything inside the pack at all, it tightens quickly.

Drenalin

WKR

I don't own this pack, but remember seeing a review where the guy wrapped the straps - maybe around the "popped up" frame - that pulled it tight enough to solve the issue for him. It was either here or on MR's website.

WTSN

FNG
i had the same concerns about the pop up series and steered away from the b/c of that. I already had the sawtooth on the GL mt frame so I went with the Mule bag instead

Matt G.

WKR
I have been using the pack for 3rd season now. i am one of those that sandwiches the lw climber or sticks/ platform between bag and frame. Without pack full, bag can be slightly sloppy but doesn't add any extra noise. i usually have additional layer shirt so that takes up some of it. if sticks or stand there no issue. fabric is a little noisy but once set, your fine. i use to pocket for immediate stuff and leave zipper open.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Bearfunk

FNG
I’ve used this pack for 3 seasons and want to love it, but it’s simply too sloppy when lightly loaded, sags and cannot cinch tight. You can run straps over to the other side, but then it’s difficult to access the pockets and defeats the purpose of a day pack. Once loaded up it’s great. It’s fairly noisy as it’s cordura fabric, great for durability on these western hunts but wouldn’t be my first choice for stalking through whitetail woods.

I believe the pop up is a very niche design, and works better than anything within the small niche they are perfect for. They are a little sloppy when not full, I have the 18, so filling it has never been an issue.

The material seems like it would be loud, but in my experience, it’s not as loud as cordura while being worn, like going through brush, it’s quiet, it’s a more slippery material than cordura… neither bother me and I can keep them quiet when necessary

It’s almost like the pop up was custom made for chasing roosies with a bow, that’s their shining moment, very cool pack for that. Also a nice pack for calling lions in decent weather… run out of room quick with extra layers of clothes

It’s awesome in the brush, not getting hung up on your frame non stop, and can turn into a useful load hauler in seconds.

I wish they had more compression options, that’s it’s biggest downside for hauling meat, have to be careful loading the pack so meat isn’t able to squirt out the sides between compression straps

Tried my best to own a Pop Up 28 and a Pop Up 18 for bowhunting with a CatQuiver attached. As much as I liked the PU concept... was torn during ownership, just never able to get my head around the noise caused by the material's surface and stiffness. Am not knocking MR, just seems that minimizing noise is becoming less a competitive advantage for gear and hunt clothing makers. No wonder guys think they need to be tipping game at 1,000 yards.

Sold both packs, never looked back.

Oh, to OP's question about "quieter."

No, I gave up on trying to help the material soften, whatever. Literally hung the packs in my backyard for at least 12 months each. Didn't phase - the material is tough as nails/durable for sure!

I own a handful of mr packs, the only noise complaint I have is in regards to the plastic that is used to release the Velcro while resizing the OAL. Once I’m confident the pack is adjusted correctly I remove the plastic piece. I do not believe it is that structurally important and it is definitely annoying listening to it rub. Seems the pack is a little more comfortable as well. Anyone who has an mr pack knows this noise.
A fix i found for that instead of removing it, is to cover the entire thing in a single layer of duct tape. Fixed the squeek for me

D3Smartie

FNG
Tried my best to own a Pop Up 28 and a Pop Up 18 for bowhunting with a CatQuiver attached. As much as I liked the PU concept... was torn during ownership, just never able to get my head around the noise caused by the material's surface and stiffness. Am not knocking MR, just seems that minimizing noise is becoming less a competitive advantage for gear and hunt clothing makers. No wonder guys think they need to be tipping game at 1,000 yards.

Sold both packs, never looked back.
what did you end up with? I am torn on this very issue

For haulers, typically use my SO Revolution frame while rifle hunting. Preference is to use the load shelf and a sil nylon bag strapped in. Also like my KUIU carbon w 4000 LT bag.

The Pop-Up is unique as a compact hauler. For bow hunting I don't currently have anything like that.

...and for a bow pack I could stalk with + carry meat... could make something quiet and light with a KUIU carbon frame. Just add belt/suspension, load shelf, and figure out a quiet cargo bag.