Mystery Ranch Metcalf Dry Bag Combo

Bazookas

FNG
Hey folks, long time reader, first post. Planning a 5 day elk hunt to CO early September with some guys I served with back in the day. Unit 37. This is my first western hunt so I am trying to get geared up on a wife friendly budget. Was looking at the Besrtooth 80 or Metcalf. Beartooth would be great but it has limited use for me outside this trip. Metcalf seems to be a better option for me when I also hunt in TX. Was thinking about going with the Metcalf and using the load shelf with a dry bag for a little more capacity. My gear list is slim but my gear is not UL so the Metcalf may not be enough room for some of the bulk I can’t afford to replace yet. Anyone else have good luck with the Metcalf/dry bag combo?

Drenalin

WKR
It's not ideal, but it works. I haven't done it with the Metcalf specifically, but with smaller bags and it's just awkward. By using the meat shelf to carry in camp gear you're pushing bulk and weight further from your back which makes everything feel unbalanced. With the Metcalf, that's going to be 4,000+ cubic inches of bulk and weight you're pushing away from your center of gravity. Again, it's doable but it won't feel right. I'm assuming you're former military though, and if "back in the day" means early MOLLE or even ALICE days, it will be right in line with how screwed up you were used to carrying loads then.

You may consider just carrying food in the meat shelf. That's a substantial amount of your total weight, so good to get it close to your back and it will have presumably decreased in volume by the time you come out. Which gear are you concerned with being too bulky to go in the bag? You might also consider moving one or two things, like a tent, to the outside of the pack and using your compression straps to hold them on. It's a little Beverly Hillbillies, but it's been a better solution for me.

All that said, there's a good chance the Metcalf ends up being enough bag anyway. If you have a packing list, you can post it up and get some help trimming it down. I've gone from completely filling a 4800 ci pack to not even filling a 3600 ci pack over the last couple of years. Some of that's less bulky gear, some of it is just not packing so much stuff.

NB7

WKR
You should have no problem getting everything you need for a 5day trip into a Metcalf. You can always strap you tent or other gear to the bottom if you can't manage to fit it all in the bag.
Also on a side note, naming unit #s (for even innocuous reasons) on this forum is generally frowned upon, just a heads up going forward.

OP
B

Bazookas

FNG
Thanks for the feedback, was not my intent to share that for any reason other than reference. If I could edit it, I would but I think I still have training wheel restrictions in the forum.

Reactions: NB7
OP
B

Bazookas

FNG

I am a bit of a planner so I took some lists I found on this forum and built my own with the weight I could find for everything to estimate the packed in weight. Not all is owned but most is if I have it for whitetail. Most of the clothes I already own, just have to spring for the boots. Shoot holes all you want!

48 lbs. in pack (pack included)
40 lbs. in pack (excl pack)
62 lbs. Total (with bow)

Pack 7lbs

Backpack - MR Beartooth 80 or Metcalf - 112-ish
Rain cover - Pack Fly - 5

Sleeping Gear 9lbs
Shelter - something like the BA Copper Spur - 50
Ground Cloth - Polycro - 3
Sleeping pad - REI Helix (4.9 R value) - 21
Bag liner - S2S Reactor extreme - 14
Sleeping bag - REI Co-op Zephyr 25 - 43
Inflator - FLEXTAILGEAR Pump - 3.1
Pillow - TREKOLOGY Ultralight Inflatable - 3.9

Clothing (packed) 5lbs
Top (wicking) - BlackOvis Venture Hoody - 5
Bottoms (insulating) - Kuiu ULTRA Merino zip off - 5.5
Socks - Merino - 4
Hat - 2
Gloves - Mechanics - 2
Top (insulating) - Kuiu Peloton 97 - 5
Top (insulating) - BlackOvis Timber Creek - 17
Top (rain) - Frog Togg UL - 4
Bottoms (rain) - Frog Togg UL - 5.5
Top (puffy) - BlackOvis Anchor Point - 12
Top (wind shell) - BO Specter - 10
Boxers - FirstLite Merino Areowool 150 (2p) - 8
Beanie - Merino - 2.25
Neck Gaiter - Merino - 2

Clothing (worn) 5lbs
Top (wicking) - synthetic tee - 6
Bottoms (outer) - Kuiu Kutana Pants - 13.4
Socks - Merino - 2
Footwear - Crispi Lapponia II GTX - 38.4
Leg gaiters - OR Men's Helium Gaiters - 10
Belt - Marsupial - 3
Boxers - FirstLite Merino Areowool 150 - 4

Optics 3lbs
Binoculars - Vortex 10X42 - 21.3
Bino Harness - Marsupial - 15
Rangefinder pouch - Marsupial - 2.7
Rangefinder - Simmons 6X20 Venture - 4.7

Weapon 10lbs
Bow - Bear Legit - 57.6
Stabilizer - TG Cadence Stabilizer 8" carbon - 8.5
Arrows - Easton Axis 450g
Release - 5
Backup Release - 4

Gear 7lbs
Glassing pad - Thermarest - 2
Trekking Poles - Cascade Mountain Tech 100% Carbon Fiber Trekking Pole - 16
Archery backup - Allen wrench, tape, release, sight tape - 12
Stuff Sacks - Stuff sacks and organizers - 4
Wind check - 3
Knife - Havalon - 3
Game bags - Black Ovis elk bags - 16
Water purification - Swayer gravity - 8
Water Container - Sawyer extra container - 4
Water prefilter - eBay - 1
Water Backup - Sawyer Squeeze - 3
Extra batteries - AAA - 2.4
Battery charger - GoalZero Venture 35+ Nomad 10 Solar - 27
Dyneema - Amazon Dyneema - 2
Electricians Tape - Generic - 2

Cook kit 1lbs
Cook pot - Stanley - 6
Stove - MSR Pocket Rocket - 2.6
Utensil - Amazon cheap - 1
Fuel - Isobutane - 8
Ignition - Bic lighter - 2

Safety Gear 1lbs
Headlamp - Coast - 5
First aid kit - Custom - 12
TP - Generic - 6

Food & Water (packed in) 14 lbs.

Drenalin

WKR
A few things I would change, for me personally. Just my opinions, your mileage might vary, etc.

• I don't use a rain fly on my pack, unless the forecast is terrible. Cordura isn't easy to wet out.
  • I don't carry a ground cloth with a bivy or tent when I backpack. If I did, it would be for protection of the tent floor, and polycryo wouldn't be a great choice for that.
  • I would skip the bag liner and sleep in my insulated clothing if needed. I don't know how true to temp your bag performs, but that's what I do with a 30-degree quilt.
  • I probably wouldn't carry anything to inflate the pad with and just use my mouth instead, but I've never inflated that particular pad.
  • You're packing two fleeces (Peloton 97 and BO Timber Creek) that essentially do the same thing; I'd take the Peloton and leave the other.
  • I only take two pairs of socks - one pair on my feet, the other pair staying dry inside my pack, or hanging in camp getting dry.
  • At most, I'd carry one extra pair of underwear.
  • I never ever wear rain pants, but that's because I hate them. I'd ditch them and keep the gaiters.
  • Your rain gear can serve as a windbreaker, I'd leave the Specter hoodie at home.
  • Is the Havalon the only knife you're taking? I'd add a pocketknife for general use.
  • I'd pick one filter to take, and I'd leave the pre-filter. Boiling water can be your backup. If you've used those Sawyer bags and been okay with them, good. I found them to be a PITA to fill.
  • If you're using your phone just for navigation and photos, and that's all you'll need to recharge, you can keep it in airplane mode and probably only need to partially recharge it once. I'd leave the solar getup at home and just take the battery bank.
  • 12 ounces seems like a lot of 1st aid gear. I'd make sure you've got chapstick and maybe even sunscreen in there though.
You may also be able to split shelter weight with someone if you don't mind sharing a tent. I probably wouldn't, but it's an option. You can probably divide up game bags among your group and not take more than a couple of sets, depending on how many people you'll be with - the reality is, you won't all be successful and if you end up needing more game bags, you'll be humping meat back to the truck and can pick them up then.

The good news is, you shouldn't have any trouble getting all this into a Metcalf.

OP
B

Bazookas

FNG
A few things I would change, for me personally. Just my opinions, your mileage might vary, etc.

• I don't use a rain fly on my pack, unless the forecast is terrible. Cordura isn't easy to wet out.
  • I don't carry a ground cloth with a bivy or tent when I backpack. If I did, it would be for protection of the tent floor, and polycryo wouldn't be a great choice for that.
  • I would skip the bag liner and sleep in my insulated clothing if needed. I don't know how true to temp your bag performs, but that's what I do with a 30-degree quilt.
  • I probably wouldn't carry anything to inflate the pad with and just use my mouth instead, but I've never inflated that particular pad.
  • You're packing two fleeces (Peloton 97 and BO Timber Creek) that essentially do the same thing; I'd take the Peloton and leave the other.
  • I only take two pairs of socks - one pair on my feet, the other pair staying dry inside my pack, or hanging in camp getting dry.
  • At most, I'd carry one extra pair of underwear.
  • I never ever wear rain pants, but that's because I hate them. I'd ditch them and keep the gaiters.
  • Your rain gear can serve as a windbreaker, I'd leave the Specter hoodie at home.
  • Is the Havalon the only knife you're taking? I'd add a pocketknife for general use.
  • I'd pick one filter to take, and I'd leave the pre-filter. Boiling water can be your backup. If you've used those Sawyer bags and been okay with them, good. I found them to be a PITA to fill.
  • If you're using your phone just for navigation and photos, and that's all you'll need to recharge, you can keep it in airplane mode and probably only need to partially recharge it once. I'd leave the solar getup at home and just take the battery bank.
  • 12 ounces seems like a lot of 1st aid gear. I'd make sure you've got chapstick and maybe even sunscreen in there though.
You may also be able to split shelter weight with someone if you don't mind sharing a tent. I probably wouldn't, but it's an option. You can probably divide up game bags among your group and not take more than a couple of sets, depending on how many people you'll be with - the reality is, you won't all be successful and if you end up needing more game bags, you'll be humping meat back to the truck and can pick them up then.

The good news is, you shouldn't have any trouble getting all this into a Metcalf.
All great tips, thank you! On the sleeping bag, is a 25 degree bag with the insulated clothes enough for early September? Was told to plan for as low as 10 and up to 40. Is this a question for another category in the forum?

Drenalin

WKR
All great tips, thank you! On the sleeping bag, is a 25 degree bag with the insulated clothes enough for early September? Was told to plan for as low as 10 and up to 40. Is this a question for another category in the forum?
I haven't been to CO in September, so I can't say what temps you should plan for. There's a sleep system sub-forum though that will have everything you ever wanted to know and more about expectations for early September in CO - I'll paste the link below for you.

Do you already have that bag? If so, have you found it to be true to temp? If it's comfortable at 25 degrees, you can stretch it about another 10 degrees with your insulated layers relatively comfortably. I don't think you'd comfortably get another 15 degrees out of it though. If that bag is comfortable at 25 degrees, you can watch the forecast before you step off and potentially throw the bag liner back into your pack. Between it and the insulated layers, you'd likely be okay.

If that 25-degree rating is a survival rating, you're not going to sleep well if temps get down to 10 degrees, even if you have the bag liner and the insulated layers. If that's the case, you should be looking for a 15-degree down bag, or an insulated quilt to layer over your sleeping bag. I'll link another article below that talks about layering sleep systems and what you end up with for combined warmth.

Sleep Systems Sub-Forum

Quilt Layering Article

Also, check your PMs.

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
Your sleeping bag is rated to lower limit not comfort. Your comfort rating for the Zephyr is 38 degrees. Worst case scenario you could make sure to camp at lower elevations. Make sure you pack a beanie to keep your head warm, wear insulated clothes etc. September is not the coldest time of year in the Rockies. Eating before you go to bed can help generate a little extra heat. When you put your head to rest it very well may be 50 even 60 degrees, at 5 in the morning it might be 20 degrees. Honestly I prefer sleeping with warm clothes, it makes waking up much easier. Breckenridge shouldn't get much lower than 30 degrees at night in September. Elevation will affect temperature. If you plan on camping at max elevation it could get down to about 10 degrees on a colder night. What you were told is probably right, 10 - 40 degrees is well within reason, however it is Colorado the record low might be -15 lol. If you want a cheap, light weight bag look at UGQ. Id probably get a 0 degree if you ever plan on hunting later in the season, they rate their bags based on comfort but everyone is different, Id rather have too much bag than not enough. I think you can get one in the $200-$300 range, I found a coupon when I bought mine I think I paid $150 for an overstuffed custom 0 degree quilt. Not sure if you are tapped out but a good Quilt is awesome, you can use a cold weather quilt even in summer. I would also talk with the manufacturer, they can help you pick the right bag don't just guess. Quilt > Sleeping bag. They are lighter and more versatile. I remember a buddy of mine told me he had a quilt and I just didn't believe that it worked. Finally after multiple folks telling me "they are the best" finally got one. I will never use a bag again except below zero type stuff -20 or so. Honestly nothing is worse than waking up at 3 am shivering. I've done this before, no Bueno. I would look into quilts if I was you. Maybe the wife will give you a loan? Maybe you run a little hot and can make it work? I don't want to scare anyone into buy stuff they MIGHT not need. For the Rockies a good rule of thumb is be prepared for 10 degrees below what you expect. Also don't drink a lot of water before bed, try to stay hydrated throughout the day. Taking a piss at 11pm sucks and you might not warm back up if your bag isn't rated well.

Last edited:
OP
B

Bazookas

FNG
Your sleeping bag is rated to lower limit not comfort. Your comfort rating for the Zephyr is 38 degrees. Worst case scenario you could make sure to camp at lower elevations. Make sure you pack a beanie to keep your head warm, wear insulated clothes etc. September is not the coldest time of year in the Rockies. Eating before you go to bed can help generate a little extra heat. When you put your head to rest it very well may be 50 even 60 degrees, at 5 in the morning it might be 20 degrees. Honestly I prefer sleeping with warm clothes, it makes waking up much easier. Breckenridge shouldn't get much lower than 30 degrees at night in September. Elevation will affect temperature. If you plan on camping at max elevation it could get down to about 10 degrees on a colder night. What you were told is probably right, 10 - 40 degrees is well within reason, however it is Colorado the record low might be -15 lol. If you want a cheap, light weight bag look at UGQ. Id probably get a 0 degree if you ever plan on hunting later in the season, they rate their bags based on comfort but everyone is different, Id rather have too much bag than not enough. I think you can get one in the $200-$300 range, I found a coupon when I bought mine I think I paid $150 for an overstuffed custom 0 degree quilt. Not sure if you are tapped out but a good Quilt is awesome, you can use a cold weather quilt even in summer. I would also talk with the manufacturer, they can help you pick the right bag don't just guess. Quilt > Sleeping bag. They are lighter and more versatile. I remember a buddy of mine told me he had a quilt and I just didn't believe that it worked. Finally after multiple folks telling me "they are the best" finally got one. I will never use a bag again except below zero type stuff -20 or so. Honestly nothing is worse than waking up at 3 am shivering. I've done this before, no Bueno. I would look into quilts if I was you. Maybe the wife will give you a loan? Maybe you run a little hot and can make it work? I don't want to scare anyone into buy stuff they MIGHT not need. For the Rockies a good rule of thumb is be prepared for 10 degrees below what you expect. Also don't drink a lot of water before bed, try to stay hydrated throughout the day. Taking a piss at 11pm sucks and you might not warm back up if your bag isn't rated well.
I went ahead and rolled the dice on my marriage and ordered a Big Agnes Torchlight UL 20. I’ve got a BA Kings Canyon quilt I can layer over that if it gets crazy cold. The two together should suffice down to near zero and weigh just over 3 lbs combined.

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
I went ahead and rolled the dice on my marriage and ordered a Big Agnes Torchlight UL 20. I’ve got a BA Kings Canyon quilt I can layer over that if it gets crazy cold. The two together should suffice down to near zero and weigh just over 3 lbs combined.
That's a super nice bag. Enjoy! If you bought it at REI you can always take it back. Just pretend you didn't like it haha. They have a 1 year return policy. I actually bought an ultralight tent from rei and it had so much condensation so I took it back. Bought another tent no big deal.

I'm looking to downsize from a Metcalf to a day pack. Let me know if you're interested in a camo Metcalf that's 2 years old, excellent condition, no tears, blood stains. Planning to post in the next couple weeks. S/M frame. I'm 6'4" 200 lbs. Never packed out meat with it.

Windigo

Lil-Rokslider
Did a 10 day elk hunt in November with the metcalf, used the stone glacier dry bag in the load shelf for all the food. It worked, would probably have been better to put heavier stuff in the dry bag/load shelf as opposed to 40 liters of freeze dried food.

OP
B

Bazookas

FNG
That's a super nice bag. Enjoy! If you bought it at REI you can always take it back. Just pretend you didn't like it haha. They have a 1 year return policy. I actually bought an ultralight tent from rei and it had so much condensation so I took it back. Bought another tent no big deal.
That’s what I’m doing with the Zephyr. It’s a nice bag but it’s too smal
I'm looking to downsize from a Metcalf to a day pack. Let me know if you're interested in a camo Metcalf that's 2 years old, excellent condition, no tears, blood stains. Planning to post in the next couple weeks. S/M frame. I'm 6'4" 200 lbs. Never packed out meat with it.
thank you for the offer. I picked up a Metcalf recently on sale. So far I’ve liked it! Much more room than I was expecting.

pingsc

FNG
If you're former military, I'd check ExpertVoice or Guidefitter for Big Agnes stuff - I got pretty sweet deals on sleeping bags and a sleeping pad.

OP
B

Bazookas

FNG
If you're former military, I'd check ExpertVoice or Guidefitter for Big Agnes stuff - I got pretty sweet deals on sleeping bags and a sleeping pad.
That’s the program I used for the purchase