Mystery Ranch for the Shorter fellas/ gals

Ledanek

Lil-Rokslider
Once again, I'm having issue fit with my Pintler with Guidelight Frame.

I've changed the yoke and waist from Medium to Small already and even with the pack not loaded (under 20lbs), the waist STILL slips off my hips.

If I cinch too tight at the level of my belly button, it pinches a nerve by my sciatica and it's very uncomfortable.

I always have a theory that the GLF is too "tall" for me.
The tape measures at 18-19" from hip/belly button to C7

Curious if there are any fellas or gals out there who's around 5'7" & 32" waist who are have or had this issue that the frame itself is the problem.

I'm starting to look at the other MR packs without the GFL to say to rule out if the frame is the issue:
- Terraframe 3-Zip
- Glacier
- Stein 65

I did loss 12lbs over the holidays because last yr this was not an issue with layered clothing and 20lbs

Thanks

I would measure based on McHales pack website instructions for a bit more of an accurate number. I always thought I had a taller torso but when I was fitting myself for one of Dan's packs per his instructions it turned out I was nearly a full inch less than what i had been using. Explains why I fought so many packs for so many years. I'm 6'0" and 32" with a short torso and longer legs. I'm a small/small in MR's range of measurements

OP
L

Ledanek

Lil-Rokslider
Without using the belt, notice how flat the shoulder harness. Pack is less than approximately 15lbs, mostly down jacket and snow pants

Attachments

• 20190202_192825.jpg
    20190202_192825.jpg
    293.7 KB · Views: 42
OP
L

Ledanek

Lil-Rokslider
Using the belt, the frame rides higher, lifting the entire yoke, that I can't stuff any deeper in it's pocket.

Cinched by my belly. I'm wearing scrubs now. Last year, my gut was bigger and with insulated clothings, it would ride just right above the pelvis. After losing pounds/gut, the belt gets pushed down/ slides lower than the curve of my lower back.

Attachments

• 20190202_192811.jpg
    20190202_192811.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 39
Assuming shoulder straps are set correct. Either you have too much torque on your load lifters or the yoke is too big for your torso. I had the same issue on another pack that had an adjustable yoke and went down a size, fixed it. I can still get the shoulder straps to lift off my shoulders if I crank down on the lifters though. I used to put a tremendous amount of pull on them, last few years I typically snug them for stabilizing the load and leave them. My $.02

JD619er

WKR
I'm not expert and maybe I never had it adjusted right but the guidelight
always slipped on me too. I wish now I would have taken more time to resolve the issue. I know one thing though...the terraframe has a difference foam and fabric on the lumbar and waist belt other than that the frame is basically the same. It even uses the newer buckles that will be on the new hunting line packs. The terraframe for me does not slip one bit. I can load it up with 80lbs and literally jumped up and down over and over with all the weight on my hips and it stays put. Just throwing this out there for you but I hope you resolve your issue and get to keep your guidelight

OP
L

Ledanek

Lil-Rokslider
...the terraframe has a difference foam and fabric on the lumbar and waist belt other than that the frame is basically the same....

.... The terraframe for me does not slip one bit. I can load it up with 80lbs and literally jumped up and down over and over with all the weight on my hips and it stays put. Just throwing this out there for you but I hope you resolve your issue and get to keep your guidelight

Now I'm curious if MR did replace the material by the lumbar pad and waist belt.
My initial impression is that it seems slippery...maybe by design at that time..

JD619er

WKR
Also for your consideration the new guidelight MT frame seems like a nice upgrade as far as support and looks to use material similiar if not the same as the terraframe although this is only speculation from the pictures and videos

OP
L

Ledanek

Lil-Rokslider
Also for your consideration the new guidelight MT frame seems like a nice upgrade as far as support and looks to use material similiar if not the same as the terraframe although this is only speculation from the pictures and videos

The GL MT frame intriguing as many have mentioned, it's the 5-parts belt that is found on the NICE Frame.... with re-direct buckle system, that makes cinching mechanically better.

I'm by no means an expert on pack fit but did you call Mystery Ranch and explain the issue with the pack even AFTER switching to a small harness/belt? Maybe even try to get an email address to the right person at MR that you could share these pics and issues with and get some help.
In my opinion, going out and buying another one of their products or any other company's for that matter without talking to MR first and hearing them say " Sorry, we have no solutions for your issue" is definitely not the best option here. I assume that will only leave you with 2 backpacks in the rokslide classifieds, at least one more "this doesn't fit" thread, and still no pack to suit your needs. I hope you dont take any of this in a negative way cause it's not meant to be. I just think theres gotta be a solution from their customer service and as an owner of MR products I sure hope they wouldn't leave you to seek outside help.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
L

Ledanek

Lil-Rokslider
I'm by no means an expert on pack fit but did you call Mystery Ranch and explain the issue with the pack even AFTER switching to a small harness/belt? Maybe even try to get an email address to the right person at MR that you could share these pics and issues with and get some help.
In my opinion, going out and buying another one of their products or any other company's for that matter without talking to MR first and hearing them say " Sorry, we have no solutions for your issue" is definitely not the best option here. I assume that will only leave you with 2 backpacks in the rokslide classifieds, at least one more "this doesn't fit" thread, and still no pack to suit your needs. I hope you dont take any of this in a negative way cause it's not meant to be. I just think theres gotta be a solution from their customer service and as an owner of MR products I sure hope they wouldn't leave you to seek outside help.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

No offence taken

I've actually had make contact with MR, and that's pretty much how I ended buying a Small Yoke and Waist belt.
I'm just curious if it's the frame itself might be too long for my torso.

Funny enough, after I ate my lunch and drank all my water that I carried in this pack to work, now the pack it ounces lighter (I assume), now the belt cinches fine...no pinching my sciatica...loosened the load lifters...re-adjuster the shoulder straps and it's....fine.

No slippage.
Weird.

Day off tomorrow, weather permitting, I'll load the pack and take it for a hike...we'll see if problem occurs again.

Much appreciate everyone's response.
Just to pass this along to the married or have a girlfriend looking to get into MR Packs...there's some decent deals for women's pack in Sierra Trading
https://www.sierra.com/s~mystery-ra...pgeJ0wRl884QI2izqYjhHrCg9vMnjuWdW5EAHUTAku-k0

I've been eyeballing the Stein myself...but, again, these are for the ladies.

these are my other MR Packs, I kinda have an addiction to their packs.

i8oyZXJ.jpg

If it is just a belt slip issue your not alone. More than a few have had issues getting the belt to stay up over the years on the GL frame. The new frame (and as near as I can tell the new GL frame and terraframe are identical minus the molle straps) is supposed to be better.

I'd 2nd others recommendation to try contacting them again with those pics. I've had great CS from MR over the last decade or so.

For best fitting, loosen the load lifters while getting everything snugged up. Any belt will lift the pack when tightened up. And, from the looks of that frame being bent forward, plus the pressure across your chest and the front of the shoulder straps, you are reefing on them pretty hard at such light weight.

When the load lifters are engaged while snugging up the pack initially, it allows to much length on the torso on a pack that is fitted well. Much less one that is too long already. From your pics, the harness is simply to long or, you need to seriously tightened up the shoulder straps. Look when the belt isn't engaged. It is a full inch or more lower then when you have it tightened. Your torso isn't 17-18" long I suspect since the small harness is too long. Or, you are adjusting the chest strap before getting your shoulder straps tightened adequately.

If it is too long you are very thin through the torso versus what their specs allow for. Whatever it is, your harness needs to be adjusted so that when the load lifters are loose, with the belt buckled across the naval, that the shoulder straps fit the contour of your shoulders. Then when you engage the lifters for weighted loads, it will lightly lift the straps off the back and top of the shoulders. Not float them like that.

Put the pack on, buckle the belt where its supposed to be, tightened the shoulder straps until they hug the shoulder, then the chest strap lightly. If that can't be achieved, your harness won't go short enough. If you do this and it don't work, the only thing that'll stop it is a bigger lumbar pad or a contoured frame. Maybe both will be needed.

I bought a pack for my wife last year. A Kuiu Icon pro 22 inch frame. It wouldn't adjust short enough. So, I sold it and bought a Kifaru and had them shorten the shoulder harness pads so it wouldn't tuck behind the lumbar pad. Worked like a charm. Good luck and God Bless

Last edited: