Mystery Ranch Beartooth 80 noisy - QC going down?

SheepDogRob

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve owned a few MR packs to include the Marshall, Pintler, Metcalf and now the Beartooth. Love the packs size and it fits my needs well except for an obnoxious squeaking noise I found on a late season hunt. The material rubbing against the frame is really noisy and not normal.

So I contacted MR and asked them about it. Sent a video of my duplicating the sound with my hand and they basically said this is a non-warranty issue. They want me to send it back on my dime and possibly pay for the repair after they take a look. They say they’re not meant to be “silent” but good grief! This thing squeaks on every step or when I take a deep breath.

Anyone else have an issue like this? It really makes me consider other brands of the time comes for a new pack.

t_carlson

WKR
I've had several MR packs from back when it was the NICE frame (made in Bozeman) all the way up to a Terraframe purchased this year.

Haven't seen any QC issues, nor have I had any make noises.

Exactly where/what is rubbing? I thought one of my packs was squeaking for a couple seasons, then realized it was my leather belt. Switched to a nylon belt and problem solved.

no issue on my sawtooth on a GLMT frame.

no matter if its tight, loose, either bag to frame, or pack to me, no noticeable sounds.

OP
SheepDogRob

SheepDogRob

Lil-Rokslider
When the material rotates around the rod/frame it makes a helluva rubbing noise.

Attachments

• 426E6271-8FD0-44FC-84A8-1F1AF6622B62.jpeg
    426E6271-8FD0-44FC-84A8-1F1AF6622B62.jpeg
    411 KB · Views: 78
Squeaking like that is pretty common on the Guide Lite and Mt frames in my experience and other experiences that I have read. It’s annoying.

TheHammer

WKR
All 3 of mine do this as well. I’ve removed the plastic piece used for disconnecting the Velcro when adjusting height. Noise is now minimal to non existent in all 3.

All 3 of mine do this as well. I’ve removed the plastic piece used for disconnecting the Velcro when adjusting height. Noise is now minimal to non existent in all 3.
Quite sure the plastic piece is structural to the design.

I would tend to think a few things in regards to squeaks and the frame. With force applied around the squeak area, say wrapping your palm around it, and trying to recreate the squeak, do you feel where it's coming from?

Is the bag too tight and more or less rattling it?

Is the bag too tight or something is bulging it causing a squeak from torsion on the frame?

Is the bag too loose and flexing the frame causing it too squeak against some tolerance or resistance?

OP
SheepDogRob

SheepDogRob

Lil-Rokslider

I would tend to think a few things in regards to squeaks and the frame. With force applied around the squeak area, say wrapping your palm around it, and trying to recreate the squeak, do you feel where it's coming from?

Is the bag too tight or something is bulging it causing a squeak from torsion on the frame?

Is the bag too loose and flexing the frame causing it too squeak against some tolerance or resistance?
I tried both loosening and tightening it with little change. If it was pulled really tight, it would be a little less loud but definitely still there.

MR acknowledged that it’s an issue with some batches of bags and they say they can fix it.

NXTZ

Lil-Rokslider
I have a sawtooth 45 on the GL frame and mine started squeaking as well. Like TheHammer, I took out the plastic sheet that separates the frame, and that seems to have helped the noise. Idk if that piece is structural? It feels fine with light weight without.

TheHammer

WKR
I've seen posts where guys had the same problem. I’ve not had any issues with any of my MR packs, but their shitty response has me questioning any more purchases, if that's the way they intend to deal with loyal customers.

Hope they reconsider and do the right thing by you.
What I’ve learned with dealing on unfortunate situations is if you are not naturally a dick. You need to be. The average person in customer service is not capable of handling the situation. You need to call and talk to the highest person in the chain of commands, they are the only ones capable of handling these types of situations. Then you don’t apologize, for cooperate structure.

mt100gr.

WKR
When the material rotates around the rod/frame it makes a helluva rubbing noise.
Is there any way to remove those rods from the webbing "tube"?

I've solved every pack squeak issue I have ever had (never on MR, though) with SO, SG, Exo and Kifaru packs with bow string wax. It needs some kind of lube where the friction is the worst.

If that pack was in my basement right now, and I couldn't get the rods out and wax them, I'd use a syringe and inject something like a few drops of leather oil or even vegetable oil inside the webbing tube and test it. Probably gonna get a stain or 2, but those are supposed to happen anyway.

Matt G.

WKR
I had the same issue with my Marshall pack. MR said they had an issue with some of the frames where the rods sewn to tightly together causing to much friction. MR sent me a return label and sent it back under warranty. That was about January this year.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

I’ve owned a few MR packs to include the Marshall, Pintler, Metcalf and now the Beartooth. Love the packs size and it fits my needs well except for an obnoxious squeaking noise I found on a late season hunt. The material rubbing against the frame is really noisy and not normal.

So I contacted MR and asked them about it. Sent a video of my duplicating the sound with my hand and they basically said this is a non-warranty issue. They want me to send it back on my dime and possibly pay for the repair after they take a look. They say they’re not meant to be “silent” but good grief! This thing squeaks on every step or when I take a deep breath.

Anyone else have an issue like this? It really makes me consider other brands of the time comes for a new pack.
If its the plastic lumbar piece then just pull it out and put a single layer of duct tape on it, if its the stays of the frame then i soak/rub coconut oil inti the entire frame, let it sit overnight and wipe away excess the next day. havent had a problem in over a year now after doing those 2 things

Love MR packs, but a hunting pack should be relatively quiet. Its common for all packs though so get creative in fixing it. It sucks but thats the way it is.

If its the plastic lumbar piece then just pull it out and put a single layer of duct tape on it, if its the stays of the frame then i soak/rub coconut oil inti the entire frame, let it sit overnight and wipe away excess the next day. havent had a problem in over a year now after doing those 2 things

Love MR packs, but a hunting pack should be relatively quiet. Its common for all packs though so get creative in fixing it. It sucks but thats the way it is.
Also i quit washing my pack frame as noticed it always squeeked much much worse Afterwards. Maybe MR will get their crap sorted, but until then, this worked for me

Dont bother with sending it back in, they wont do anything to fix it anyways

spar84

FNG
I have the MT frame with the sawtooth, beartooth & mule. No noise so far.

GoDawgs48

FNG
Wow, wasn’t aware this was an issue with MR frames. I just bought a Marshall but haven’t had a chance to load it up yet. Will report back

Hated my pintler with the plastic piece in. Called MR and they said if its more comfortable without it to remove it.