Mystery Ranch 2023 - new gear

Didn’t see much about new Mystery Ranch stuff in the shot show or other coverage, if this was mentioned before.

looks like they redid their pop up line. New bags are 30 & 40 liters with new layouts and it looks like they tweaked the frame to take out some of the slop at the upper attachment point. Removable lid on the 40. Added women’s versions.

i bought the gen 1 pop up 28 and fell for the concept. sold it and bought the gen 2 pop up 38 for the bigger bag and upgraded frame. I do a little rigging up top to take care of the slop and it works very well for me. I like what I see here with the gen 3 version. It looks like they addressed my (and a lot of others) two main gripes about a removable lid and the upper attachment point for the bag. good for MR but I dont think I am going to burn the $$$ it would take to sell my current version to get something that is only slightly better.

Dear MR gods, if you want more of my $$$ put out a pop up version of the pintler (Tri zip) that will work on both the pop up and guidelight mt frame.

Last edited:

Drenalin

WKR
I've waffled back and forth on trying the last version of the Pop Up, now they go and do this. Would love to lay my hands on one. Probably most interested in the 30, but the lid on the 40 looks like an improvement over the giant they were using before (and now detachable).

The pop up is a cool pack, especially for the price. I personally thought the 18 was a cool size, because where the pop up really shines is in the brush with nothing sticking up, but when there is meat to pack, it’s up to the task. Kind of bummed they dropped the size that offers the biggest advantage with their frame design

Might slip up and buy a treehouse one of these days but never really followed their other options close. I could totes wear it downtown too now that I know how trendy MR is with the urban crowd.

TheTone

WKR
The pop up is a cool pack, especially for the price. I personally thought the 18 was a cool size, because where the pop up really shines is in the brush with nothing sticking up, but when there is meat to pack, it’s up to the task. Kind of bummed they dropped the size that offers the biggest advantage with their frame design
Yeah I think the 30 looks good but why not run the zippers all the way to the bottom of the bag?

Yeah I think the 30 looks good but why not run the zippers all the way to the bottom of the bag?
It almost seems like mystery ranch designed this genius design but don’t really know why it’s so genius.

The pop up design in itself is really a cool concept, and in the brush, especially on the coast it’s pretty awesome to have a pack that’s not constantly tangled in salmonberry or vine maple

On my back, the pop up hauls heavy loads better than the guide lite frames, it’s actually a very innovative design, I would like to see them round out the design with bags that compliment the pop up design.

I’m surprised they haven’t blown up in the whitetail world, seems perfect for hauling stands and sticks and quartered deer.

I would like to see the ability to add compression straps too… that’s the biggest limitation for packing meat, it’s hard to get certain loads secured with the straps they have… one more set would help

TheTone

WKR
It almost seems like mystery ranch designed this genius design but don’t really know why it’s so genius.

The pop up design in itself is really a cool concept, and in the brush, especially on the coast it’s pretty awesome to have a pack that’s not constantly tangled in salmonberry or vine maple

On my back, the pop up hauls heavy loads better than the guide lite frames, it’s actually a very innovative design, I would like to see them round out the design with bags that compliment the pop up design.

I’m surprised they haven’t blown up in the whitetail world, seems perfect for hauling stands and sticks and quartered deer.

I would like to see the ability to add compression straps too… that’s the biggest limitation for packing meat, it’s hard to get certain loads secured with the straps they have… one more set would help
If they made a small trizip bag, 2000-3000 I’d almost certainly grab one for elk hunting. My wife has a 28 and it would be about perfect if it actually split down the middle. I don’t think I’d use it for packing every load but for actually hunting and taking out the first load it would be great

Looks like it’s still fairly easy to find a 28. Maybe I’ll pick one up

BarCO

Lil-Rokslider
I sure wish they would figure out how to cut the weight closer to half. They are heavy otherwise great.

Has anyone had the chance to try out the new redesigned Popup 30 or 40 packs yet? Have they improved the frame and belt from the Popup 28 and 38 packs? I never could get those frames to fit me right but love the design for a whitetail pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BDRam16

WKR
They need to sell that pop up 40 lid for the metcalf. The double pocket lid they use is horrible. It doesn’t stay on top of the pack and slides down to be more like an attachment than a lid.

Didn’t see much about new Mystery Ranch stuff in the shot show or other coverage, if this was mentioned before.

looks like they redid their pop up line. New bags are 30 & 40 liters with new layouts and it looks like they tweaked the frame to take out some of the slop at the upper attachment point. Removable lid on the 40. Added women’s versions.

i bought the gen 1 pop up 28 and fell for the concept. sold it and bought the gen 2 pop up 38 for the bigger bag and upgraded frame. I do a little rigging up top to take care of the slop and it works very well for me. I like what I see here with the gen 3 version. It looks like they addressed my (and a lot of others) two main gripes about a removable lid and the upper attachment point for the bag. good for MR but I dont think I am going to burn the $$$ it would take to sell my current version to get something that is only slightly better.

Dear MR gods, if you want more of my $$$ put out a pop up version of the pintler (Tri zip) that will work on both the pop up and guidelight mt frame.

How did you get rid of the slop?

OP
Desk Jockey
How did you get rid of the slop?
Loop the buckle straps on top over the cross bar and then attach them. It gets them in tighter and they wiggle less. That helps up top. Apart from that, you to manage the compression straps around the packs perimeter fairly well.

I saw one of the newer packs at a bow shop. Definitely a better attachment but probably still not gonna swap it out for my old one.