Mystery Ranch 2020

A few threads on this already but the new packs are up on their site.

- 38 liter pack for the pop up line.
- load sling for guidelight MT frame
- some new offerings for the ladies
- looks like all The hunting packs are on the guidelight MT frame now except the cabinet.
- some new colors including subalpine for the sitka fanboy crowd.

i am probably most excited about the bigger pop up. Might have to upgrade my 28 when they arrive. No Indciation of when the new stuff will be in stock.

Drenalin

WKR
I probably don't need it, but that new Pop Up looks really interesting. If I hadn't bought an EXO, I'd be ordering the Metcalf on that frame for sure.

TxAg

Lil-Rokslider
The Back Strap (aka load sling) looks pretty nifty when your only task is hauling out meat. Might be nice to have in the truck for use on subsequent pack out trips. Price is very reasonable as well.

They also introduced a day pack lid that fits all packs minus the Mule. I'm curious if this is the exact same lid as comes on the Metcalf.

jmazz

Lil-Rokslider
I'm really interested in the Pop Up 38. I can't tell by the pictures, does it look like the lid is removable or not?

OP
Desk Jockey
I'm really interested in the Pop Up 38. I can't tell by the pictures, does it look like the lid is removable or not?

I don’t think it is. Looking at the last couple of pics with the pack bag folded down off the frame, it looks sewn on.

Dvidos

Lil-Rokslider
The Back Strap (aka load sling) looks pretty nifty when your only task is hauling out meat. Might be nice to have in the truck for use on subsequent pack out trips. Price is very reasonable as well.

They also introduced a day pack lid that fits all packs minus the Mule. I'm curious if this is the exact same lid as comes on the Metcalf.
+1
AA.jpg

And that right there is why I sold my Pop-up 28 and went with the Eberlestock J1 mainframe and batwings. Putting a load in the overload shelf puts your pack (and the weight of everything in it) so far away from your back that it kinda gets ridiculous.

My mainframe and batwings cradle the load from either side, and keep all the weight as close to your back as possible. IMO it's just a better design.

OP
Desk Jockey
I don't understand pop up vs guide light.

2 different frames. Guidelight is their flagship hunting frame. Lots of bags From 40-120l. Full size hauler. Carries +100# pounds Either in the bag or on the meat shelf. Pop up is a line of convertible day packs. 20-40 liter bags. Has a meat shelf. Has a set of load lifters that fold/extend to permit heavy loads up to 70# or so. Much smaller and more compact on your back in daypack mode. Shoulder straps, belt and whole frame are not as robust and don’t carry as well as the full size frame. Think of them as day packs that can handle a decent load on a rare occasion when it is needed.

I love my pop up and it hauled a couple of heavy loads for me fairly well. It is not a full size rig and doesn’t carry as well as one but it works for me.

PhlyanPan

FNG
So if I'm hoping to do some 3-5 day backpack hunts, I should be staying with the guide light frame then?

OP
Desk Jockey
So if I'm hoping to do some 3-5 day backpack hunts, I should be staying with the guide light frame then?

yeah. IMO a pop up isn’t enough of a hauler to replace a full size pack. It’s a daypack that can haul a load of meat 1-2x per year.

jmazz

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t think it is. Looking at the last couple of pics with the pack bag folded down off the frame, it looks sewn on.

That's the way that I was leaning. I don't really know if it would matter to me or not but it'd be nice to have the option.

Right now you can get a guide lite frame and option of bag on Black Ovis for almost the same price as a new pop up 28-38. I mostly hunt whitetails in Wisconsin, but try to head out west once a year. In everyone opinion, for the same cost, which would you go for? I run a saddle hunting system for whitetails with sticks and a saddle platform.