My Western Oklahoma Attempt

Just got back from 5 days of hunting in Western Oklahoma. This was my first time deer hunting outside of Georgia, and did it DIY camping out on public land.

I made some last minute plans three weeks ago to go hunt somewhere that I could spot and stalk deer, was getting tired of sitting in a tree stand here in Georgia.

I bow hunted in the panhandle, around 20,000 acres of it. If you want to PM me I will be happy to share the WMA.

I spent a lot of time hiking, and also a good bit of time sitting on watering holes. If I could do it again, I would skip sitting on watering holes as I can do that kind of hunting back home, but I was averaging 15 miles a day of hiking so the rest was nice.

Got to enjoy everything from 89* afternoons to 41* rainy morning along with some winds gusting over 50MPH.

The hunting was wonderful, the deer not so much. I saw 15+ bucks, but all small. The only 8 point whitetail I saw was broke off, it presented a shot but I didn't want to take it. I passed on a few forked horn mulies also. Beautiful county, fairly big town only 30 min away made groceries/food easy.

I put all of my focus on the western portion of the WMA that was wide open terrain, I think I go back I will spend more time in the areas with more topography/cover.

Attachments

• 68791028592__3676CB4D-34F8-4FCD-86BA-EB11D065DB3D.JPG
    68791028592__3676CB4D-34F8-4FCD-86BA-EB11D065DB3D.JPG
    393.6 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_0837.JPG
    IMG_0837.JPG
    405.3 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_0806.jpg
    IMG_0806.jpg
    524.8 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_0805.JPG
    IMG_0805.JPG
    411 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_0802.JPG
    IMG_0802.JPG
    319.1 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0786.JPG
    IMG_0786.JPG
    350.3 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_0784.JPG
    IMG_0784.JPG
    311.6 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_0756.JPG
    IMG_0756.JPG
    452.4 KB · Views: 125

Bucktag

FNG
Thanks for the info! About to head that direction end of month. But not quite that west.

Great pics! Heading that way tomorrow as well, but also not quite that far west. Weather is looking great, I’m assuming the rut is over and will be looking for food sources

EZduzIT

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome write up, thanks for sharing. I’m very interested in hunting the panhandle. Did you see much for snakes?

Just got back from 5 days of hunting in Western Oklahoma. This was my first time deer hunting outside of Georgia, and did it DIY camping out on public land.

I made some last minute plans three weeks ago to go hunt somewhere that I could spot and stalk deer, was getting tired of sitting in a tree stand here in Georgia.

I bow hunted in the panhandle, around 20,000 acres of it. If you want to PM me I will be happy to share the WMA.

I spent a lot of time hiking, and also a good bit of time sitting on watering holes. If I could do it again, I would skip sitting on watering holes as I can do that kind of hunting back home, but I was averaging 15 miles a day of hiking so the rest was nice.

Got to enjoy everything from 89* afternoons to 41* rainy morning along with some winds gusting over 50MPH.

The hunting was wonderful, the deer not so much. I saw 15+ bucks, but all small. The only 8 point whitetail I saw was broke off, it presented a shot but I didn't want to take it. I passed on a few forked horn mulies also. Beautiful county, fairly big town only 30 min away made groceries/food easy.

I put all of my focus on the western portion of the WMA that was wide open terrain, I think I go back I will spend more time in the areas with more topography/cover.
IMG951509.jpg
Here's a public land Oklahoma deer from this year. I live in MT and travel down every year my family is there and we have a great time. We have good private but my brother and I grew up hunting public land out west and apply lots of our learned skills there with great success. Below is my brother's buck.IMG_1558.jpg

RainmanOK

FNG
Pretty cool write-up. I'm in NE OK, but drove through some of these areas headed to CO for elk last year (no close encounters, self guided public land, paying my dues on the learning curve). These forums were INCREDIBLE for my pack/food/list!