My sweat smelled like piss

fwafwow

WKR
Best subject line I’ve seen in a long time.

How’s the sequel coming? Dumb and Dumber predated Dumb and Dumber To by 20 years (no offense - the 16 year spread between Godfather II and III was a better comparison quality wise, but that’s not sequel vs original). I’m hoping you are in the final cut stage.

OP
Dos Perros
I weighed myself yesterday, before poo, and I was 141 pounds. That’s almost a week post hunt, and normal fighting weight is around 148 pounds. I experience the 1 lb per day loss too but it eventually tapers off.

I’d guess my calorie intake was ~2500 per day, with 3 to 4 liters of water.

Most of this was day hunting with (as you can see) certainly some vertical but not a ton. Average elevation of 10,500 ft.

Energy wise I felt fine. You can see my two ‘longest’ days were the last two. I guess desperation is a stinky cologne!

gabenzeke

WKR
Interesting topic. In a weeks hunt, I typically lose around 20 pounds. My biggest day this season was 18 miles. None of the rest of the week was near that many miles, but still lost 18 pounds.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
This is why I carry lots of high calorie, sugary food with me. Even when I eat 8 to 10 fun size candy bars, a Bobo bar or two, a meal on the go, 670 calorie breakfast and about the same dinner, I'll burn a pound.

Find something you really like to eat. Doesn't have to be healthy.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I would guess your liver is or was struggling to cope.

It's not just how much you eat and drink, it's what you eat too.

Dos Perros, maybe I missed it, but out of curiosity, what were your macros looking like on that hunt? Guessing, I'd suspect high protein, low carb? Also, how much water per day were you getting? Wondering if more water and a higher carb intake would have been different results.

It's taken me a lot of years to try and dial nutrition during hunting season. For me, the key has been as much about what nutrition during training looks like as during the season. I've yet to get it perfect but it seems to be improving year to year.

OP
Dos Perros
Dos Perros, maybe I missed it, but out of curiosity, what were your macros looking like on that hunt? Guessing, I'd suspect high protein, low carb? Also, how much water per day were you getting? Wondering if more water and a higher carb intake would have been different results.

It's taken me a lot of years to try and dial nutrition during hunting season. For me, the key has been as much about what nutrition during training looks like as during the season. I've yet to get it perfect but it seems to be improving year to year.

I would bet it was carb heavy.

Apple or peach in the morning with a Chewy bar. Two instant oatmeals (reduced sugar) later. Then maybe some pistachios, another Chewy bar or two, tuna kit for lunch, gummy bears when it's time to move far and fast, and dinner is a freeze dried, a Peak Refuel or Heather's Choice.

Poops and pees were regular, mostly clear pee with some exceptions on a tough day or two.

I just had my annual checkup with blood drawn and it didn't say anything about pre-diabetic. I think I just wasn't eating enough.

I guess nobody here ever had two-a-day football practices. This is totally normal for intense and prolonged workouts...

Patriot2

Lil-Rokslider
Wow! I have historically lost about a pound per day when hunting but did better this year. I simply forced myself to eat more and really upped the protein intake. When I had a rain day in camp I ate nonstop to up my calories. Only lost one pound per week this year. Never had my sweat stink - thank goodness!

I've had this happen before, generally if I'm not drinking enough water, or skipping meals. I've noticed that if I get to this state, I'm also having issues with leg cramping. I've started using Nalgene bottles again in addition to my Camelbak, and making a more conscious effort to improve my hydration/ electrolyte intake.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Are you drinking enough coffee out there? That's got to be the problem. I always drink plenty of coffee.....morning and afternoon. I also only crap every four days or so when I'm out there......so I'm obviously not full of crap like normal when I'm at home. :ROFLMAO:

OP
Dos Perros
Are you drinking enough coffee out there? That's got to be the problem. I always drink plenty of coffee.....morning and afternoon. I also only crap every four days or so when I'm out there......so I'm obviously not full of crap like normal when I'm at home. :ROFLMAO:

I had coffee maybe every other day. But every morning I'd wake up and drop a Nuun tablet (caffiene and electrolytes) in a half liter of water and chug before leaving camp.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Just how long does it take for you to dig a hole for that 4 day pile, aren't you like 6'6- 220.
About 10 seconds. That every 4-day pile is smaller than when I'm crapping every day normally. That always happens when I'm calorie deficient. "Calorie deficient"......makes me "functionally efficient" on hunts. It's nice when you don't have to waste time crapping every day. :)

OP
Dos Perros
So I never really thought about this...

"the body is capable of burning body fat to use for energy at a maximum rate of 31 calories per lb of body fat per day."

I was thinking it was pretty much wide open, you could eat near 100% fat and burn near 100% fat, not the case. Hence the turning to muscle to burn in a calorie deficit.

Rookjr1

FNG
I will also get the ammonia smell after a few days of mountain hunting. Typically start the day with 6L of water and eat around 3500 calories.