My new Tikka t1x.. suppressor recommendations?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Thanks, do they make something like that for 17HMR?
Oh I don't know, might be pretty tough to quiet down a 17HMR with a rimfire silencer. Even shooting 22lr the silencers don't do a whole lot unless you get into sub sonic ammo. That crack you're hearing is like a sonic boom, silencers can tame the gasses but not the physics.

When I got my banish 22, I put a bullet in my gun and went in the back yard to fire it off, its was nearly as loud as the 22 without a silencer. After that I switched to sub sonic ammo which is super quiet.

I have a AB little bird, Nav 22 and Warlock. Of the 3 the little bird is probably my favorite, easy to clean and I like the profile of it on my rifles.

Here’s my boy with a yote he shot with the T1x and little bird View attachment 720296

I've been considering a Little Bird, but had pretty much decided against it due to its threaded design, figuring the carbon and lead fouling would make disassembly and cleaning unbelievably problematic. But here I see your comment about how easy it is to clean - could you add a little more detail on that point? I like the Little Bird for profile, weight, etc, and your comment was pretty interesting to see.

Gadjet

Lil-Rokslider
Oh I don't know, might be pretty tough to quiet down a 17HMR with a rimfire silencer. Even shooting 22lr the silencers don't do a whole lot unless you get into sub sonic ammo. That crack you're hearing is like a sonic boom, silencers can tame the gasses but not the physics.

When I got my banish 22, I put a bullet in my gun and went in the back yard to fire it off, its was nearly as loud as the 22 without a silencer. After that I switched to sub sonic ammo which is super quiet.
The Banish 22 actually quiets my 17HMR down quite a bit. But like all of the cans that I've been around, I wish they knocked the sound down a little more. I use a Banish Backcountry on my 300WM for hunting and I love it. With the fast ATF approvals lately I have thought about looking at other cans. If there was one can that stood out as far as less noise, I would be pretty tempted.

Lawnboi

WKR
IMO a suppressor on a 22 is a novelty. It’s neat and quiet with subsonic ammo. But its messy , and I hate cleaning take apart suppressors.

On a 17 hmr it’s awesome. Tames it very well. Dosnt leave your action filled with gunk after hundreds of rounds.

If I were buying another it would probably be the new otter creek titanium. I want a suppressor I can throw in clr and let the chemical do the work for me.

Fwiw I have Tbac takedown 22 and a griffin Optimus micro.

My 22lr t1x gets shot bare muzzle.

I won’t even shoot centerfire without a suppressor anymore.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I won’t shoot anything unpressed. To call a silencer a novelty is the stupidest thing I’ve read on the internet today.

Bluefish

WKR
Thanks, do they make something like that for 17HMR?
Sort of defeats the purpose of the hmr. Would have less energy and worse trajectory than the 22. For subs, long, heavy bullets are best.
With a 22lr, it doesn’t take much to ensure it’s subsonic. Most rounds are barely sonic. Some target rounds are already subsonic. Very little change in performance and trajectory for subs.

I have several rimfire cans and most work fine across several weapons I use them on, but this new 3D printed mercy pluto has peaked my interest. It's 2oz and is as quiet as the full length configuration rugged oculus according to Jay from pewscience. I just became a dealer for them and ordered a few of their cans to test out. They have a short version thats 2.5" and 1.5oz!

spdrman

WKR
I've been considering a Little Bird, but had pretty much decided against it due to its threaded design, figuring the carbon and lead fouling would make disassembly and cleaning unbelievably problematic. But here I see your comment about how easy it is to clean - could you add a little more detail on that point? I like the Little Bird for profile, weight, etc, and your comment was pretty interesting to see.
I soak it in solvent (in the middle of moving and all my reloading room is boxed up still can’t remember what I settled on for that), then use the provided tool with a drill to drill them out, the baffles are set up like a drill and tape set, they clean the threads as you thread them out breaking everything loose, I the. Put a nylon brush and the drill that fits snug in there and get everything the baffles missed.

My Nav 22 is awesome and I mainly bought it for pistols to shorten it up but I spend a lot of time with a tooth brush scrubbing it.

I just finished up these golden boys for my boys last week, pretty unconventional to suppress these but I thought it’d be cool. There may be some but I don’t know of any other suppressors that will clear the feed tube rod.

Attachments

• IMG_2913.jpeg
    IMG_2913.jpeg
    778.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2917.jpeg
    IMG_2917.jpeg
    610.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2918.jpeg
    IMG_2918.jpeg
    89.3 KB · Views: 5
I have a YHM Mite that was recored to Stinger spec, a Mask HD, a TacSol TSS integral, and a Takedown 22. The YHM trails behind the rest, the integral is amazing, the Mask and TBAC are super close. I really like how the TBAC is made, its a beautiful piece of machining, doesn't hurt that it sounds top notch too.

peaches

Lil-Rokslider
For how I use a 22 it is.

I can see it being nice for hunting small game. That’s about the only application I use mine for anymore.
Shooting with the family without needing ear protection. Little ones shooting with not being spooked at all. Hollywood silent with standard velocity. Vermin control without alerting the neighbors....if you don't see the benefit of a 22, I cannot relate...at all.

Gadjet

Lil-Rokslider
Shooting with the family without needing ear protection. Little ones shooting with not being spooked at all. Hollywood silent with standard velocity. Vermin control without alerting the neighbors....if you don't see the benefit of a 22, I cannot relate...at all.
Which can makes a 22lr Hollywood silent with standard velocity rounds?

IMO a suppressor on a 22 is a novelty. It’s neat and quiet with subsonic ammo. But its messy , and I hate cleaning take apart suppressors.

On a 17 hmr it’s awesome. Tames it very well. Dosnt leave your action filled with gunk after hundreds of rounds.

If I were buying another it would probably be the new otter creek titanium. I want a suppressor I can throw in clr and let the chemical do the work for me.

Fwiw I have Tbac takedown 22 and a griffin Optimus micro.

My 22lr t1x gets shot bare muzzle.

I won’t even shoot centerfire without a suppressor anymore.
I pop my Takedown 22 apart, toss the baffles in the wet tumbler, and they're clean enough to eat off of in about 1/2 hour with just water and soap. Rimfire 22 is probably the best to suppress, especially when its that easy to clean.

peaches

Lil-Rokslider
Which can makes a 22lr Hollywood silent with standard velocity rounds?
Probably any decent 22 can, I haven't shot them all. I have a pair of Sparrows and people just giggle the first time them in a bolt gun.

TheM1DoesMyTalking

Lil-Rokslider
I have several rimfire cans and most work fine across several weapons I use them on, but this new 3D printed mercy pluto has peaked my interest. It's 2oz and is as quiet as the full length configuration rugged oculus according to Jay from pewscience. I just became a dealer for them and ordered a few of their cans to test out. They have a short version thats 2.5" and 1.5oz!
I'm interested to hear your thoughts about these Mercy rimfire cans once you've had a chance to compare them. Very intriguing designs, sizes and weights.