My new Bushmen Spartan LongCurve... eye candy

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
So I picked up a used Bushmen longbow last year and ended up reselling it to have a new Bushmen made that fit me better. I just got it last week. Its a dream to shoot and Steve from Bushmen did a fantastic job on all the customization I asked for. This is his Spartan Longcurve. 64" Static Recurve 2 piece break down recurve. 45# @ 31" draw. He puts videos and photos of his new bows on Instagram so figured Id share mine.

and here is another view

Last edited:
OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
ok give it another 5 for the second video but they are both now on youtube.

oldgoat

WKR
So I picked up a used Bushmen longbow last year and ended up reselling it to have a new Bushmen made that fit me better. I just got it last week. Its a dream to shoot and Steve from Bushmen did a fantastic job on all the customization I asked for. This is his Spartan Longcurve. 64" Static Recurve 2 piece break down recurve. 45# @ 31" draw. He puts videos and photos of his new bows on Instagram so figured Id share mine.

and here is another view

Man I'd love to give that a go, I draw 31"too

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Mr. Jewett makes really impressive stuff. His attention to detail may be unrivaled.
Thats an understatement. Steve is a true artist. Bow shoots as good as it looks as well. Since my Range is mostly clear of mud I will throw some numbers down on the post on the Energy Im pulling out of it. next few days will get that going.

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Man I'd love to give that a go, I draw 31"too
OG we are not far from each other I got a Range at my house. Your welcome to come out and give it a few shots. PM me and we can arrange that.

Thats an understatement. Steve is a true artist. Bow shoots as good as it looks as well. Since my Range is mostly clear of mud I will throw some numbers down on the post on the Energy Im pulling out of it. next few days will get that going.
So is that like a long bow handle with recurve limbs? What’s the advantage? Or just preference?

Looks neat

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
So is that like a long bow handle with recurve limbs? What’s the advantage? Or just preference?

Looks neat
Nah its a static recurve. It has alot more hook in the limbs which helps generate alot more energy then a standard recurve. All I shoot is static recurves (Borders and now this), and I shoot a border Reflex/Deflex carbon Longbow as well.

bobinmi

WKR
I don't wanna be that guy, but neither of these is a static tip. They are both "supercurves" but they open up and the entire limb is working. A static tip has a section of the tip that does not flex. The most obvious example would be a Mongolian horse bow with heavy siyahs.

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I don't wanna be that guy, but neither of these is a static tip. They are both "supercurves" but they open up and the entire limb is working. A static tip has a section of the tip that does not flex. The most obvious example would be a Mongolian horse bow with heavy siyahs.
Yep your right that is his other bow he makes this is the Longcurve. Thank you for keeping me honest.

Sharp bow. Always admired Steve’s handiwork. I’ve sold Steve’s lots of materials in the past for bowyers. Enjoy the bows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Bit of an update on this bow. This was Steve's first attempt at a 64 inch Longcurve. He normally does not make them that long. After stringing it up I started drawing the bow and let it down slowly. I noticed the string was not coming back down center when I lowered the bow down. This was on top and bottom limb. When i drew the bow back to 31 inch it looked way off track. so I proceeded to reach out to steve on facebook we discussed it and I shared the photos. I even tried different grip to make sure it was not on my end.. We concluded that curves where to long and not enough Lateral strength in the limb curves to keep it centered.
1650425675012.png1650425730172.png

So I sent the bow back to Steve who was 200% happy to figure it out. We ended up taking the bow down to 60" and he ran the draw force curve data on it. At 31" now its at 50# but man he did a great job. Ran it many times on the drawboard at his shop and this fixed the issue. I got the bow back 2 days ago and I have already put 200 arrows through it on my 20 yard range. Steve is a heck of a guy and was super cool about everything. You can definitely tell customer service is high in his book. He was very apalogetic and had the bow back to me in 2 weeks.
I always say a measure of good customer service is not measured by what the do or sell but how they hand things when issues come up. Steve got an A++ in my book.

I now joke with Steve about the bow and call it a Bushmen Shortcurve. 60" bows for 31-32 inch draw is hard to come by for longdraw archers. I told Steve he needs to definitely add this to his offerings as it shoots amazing and having it be this short but still smooth and draws like butter, is rare to come by. Here are some photos of the bow after he cut it down to 60"

1650426523300.png
1650426568477.png
1650426619001.png1650426728628.png

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Ran some testing on it as well. I am able to shoot a 633 grain arrow full length Gold tip trad xp with 125 grain tips at 165- 170 fps. Thats pretty descent for a bamboo core bow with no foam core in the materials.