"My Garmin In Reach" Saved My Bacon Today

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
Turning tracking on when in your tent uses very little battery. The reason is that InReach only sends a tracking point every 4 hours if you are not changing location.
Unless the technology has changed in the past 3-ish years, my Garmin InReach Explorer+ requires a clear view of the sky to communicate with the satellites.

Eddie

Unless the technology has changed in the past 3-ish years, my Garmin InReach Explorer+ requires a clear view of the sky to communicate with the satellites.

Eddie

Tents, backpacks, clothing, are no problem. Trees, less accurate but usually works. Tin roof, car roofs, no go.

However, I usually clip it on the outside near the door. Might be out of luck if a tree falls on me.

Last edited:

IDVortex

WKR
Speaking of cheap insurance :D you can get rescue insurance through Garmin for cheap- $40 for the year and will cover up to $100k for costs related to reduce in the backcountry.
Pardon me for interrupting the ole' timers thread. But, I saw that and haven't researched it more then just reading it briefly, is it better coverage then say lifeflight? My wife wants me to get something like that due to my prime times of sending myself to the ER.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pardon me for interrupting the ole' timers thread. But, I saw that and haven't researched it more then just reading it briefly, is it better coverage then say lifeflight? My wife wants me to get something like that due to my prime times of sending myself to the ER.

No experience with lifelight, but here’s the Garmin plan. $100k reimbursement for help rides and the like for $40 a year (they have a more expensive plan too)

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/906397