My first hard lesson on blade safety

I’ve seen my fair share of knife wounds over the years in my meat plant. They always happen from being careless or inexperience. Also, some of the worst cuts are actually from dull knives. My worst was from a table saw while working in my taxidermy shop.

Attachments

• 2782C188-EDB0-4AF2-91CE-DB777E7AF85C.jpeg
    2782C188-EDB0-4AF2-91CE-DB777E7AF85C.jpeg
    256.9 KB · Views: 21
Yes sir, it sure did. Kept my composure pretty good while it sprayed blood out everywhere. Walked over to a paper towel dispenser and pulled out a handful to hold over the missing finger tip. Went into the meat plant and told my older sister to call my wife to take me into the dr’s office. Spent a week going in almost everyday so they could clean and dress it. Spent the next few weeks doing it myself and one trip in to a plastic surgeon. Opted not to have any surgery and just let the skin grow over it on its own. It’s now a misshaped half numb finger tip. Lol

OP
CTXhunter

CTXhunter

Lil-Rokslider
My kill kit includes an inexpensive fillet glove on my hand that is not holding the knive.
Prevents cuts when its midnight, raining and you've been solo working on a moose for the past 4 hours.
https://www.rapala.com/rapala/knives/fillet-glove/
This is an excellent idea that I have considered as well for dressing animals in the back country. Something I also picked up last year was a meat hook. They weigh about 2oz and I think would aid in both safety and ease of grabbing big hunks of meat, especially if you’re deboning in the field. $11 for a two pack. 2188BCD4-30CB-4C2B-A07B-04986976829F.pngAmazon meat hook

bradmacmt

Lil-Rokslider