My first elk

jphares44

FNG
After 4 years of hunting hard during OTC hunts and putting in the miles with no success...a lot of learning, failing, and more learning...I finally got it done on opening day during CO 1st rifle. As you all know, getting an animal like this off the mountain and ready for the table takes an incredible amount of work, and this was certainly the hardest and most humbling thing I've ever done. From the time we got up to the time we went to bed, it had been a 25 hour day. And we still weren't done yet.

My soulmate and life partner, is also my hunting partner. And I couldn't ask for a better one. I'm so grateful my wife is tough as nails and joins me in these adventures. Experiencing this together has made our bond even stronger.

A beautiful 4x4. He won't make the record books, but he is a trophy to us. We are incredibly thankful for his life and his wonderful protein that will nourish our bodies for a long time. And I think that doing all the processing ourselves will make it taste that much better. We feel blessed to have experienced such a deep connection with this animal and the land he lived on.

A big thank you to this forum, as I've learned so much reading the posts here. Good luck to those of you with tags yet to punch. I hope you all have had, or will have, a wonderful hunting season!

Attachments

• 2024 Bull Elk.JPG
    2024 Bull Elk.JPG
    187.7 KB · Views: 83

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Congrats you never forget your first👊 thankfully the mind and body have a way of forgetting the pain and work, and the mind then says I’m ready to do it again next year🤙

bcjoe

FNG
Thats a nice elk, my first took me 5 years. It is your don't quit attitude that led you to this day. Congratulations on your first elk and hope you and your partner enjoy many more. Time to start planning the next one(y)

OP
jphares44

jphares44

FNG
Thats a nice elk, my first took me 5 years. It is your don't quit attitude that led you to this day. Congratulations on your first elk and hope you and your partner enjoy many more. Time to start planning the next one(y)
Thanks so much! You're absolutely right...already can't wait for the next one!