My First Compound (in quite a few years)

applepie_eli

Lil-Rokslider
I'm wanting to buy a new compound bow for next fall. Would like to get it as soon as I have money for it which should be early summer at the latest. I've been shooting recurve for a few years now but I would like to go back to compound for multiple reasons.

I've never had a good compound, the one I had in high school was an OLD Hoyt I believe. I sold it in college to pay for a tank of gas and Burger King.

Long story short my local shop has this Bear Alaskan package in stock and I'll be looking at it tomorrow. I'm not sold on any brand or anything. Just want something made in USA, durable, and affordable. There's good reviews on new Bear compounds but I have no idea really. Another option I thought of was a Prime Logic Ct3 I found on Mountain Archery for a little over $500 for the bare bow. Advice or opinions on what to get?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220504-182638.png
    Screenshot_20220504-182638.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot_20220504-182632.png
    Screenshot_20220504-182632.png
    167.8 KB · Views: 24

bsnedeker

WKR
My advice would be go to the shop and shoot a many bows as you can so you can determine which you like best. Compound bow fit is a very personal thing.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

I've shot compound for a few years now and finally go my first good bow (Bowtech SR350). The reason I went with this is because it felt really good in my hand and is easy to change things like draw weight, draw length, and cam alignment. For someone new like me who didn't even know 100% what draw length I am comfortable with, having these easy to adjust at home without a press was a big plus.

I know this bow is above your price range, but I think things like adjustability are important for new archers who may not even know what they like when they walk into the shop. Everyone says shoot as many bows as you can, and this is excellent advice. I would just add to that that when you're new or returning to compound you don't know what you want or what feels right. So being able to adjust easily at home is a big plus for me. In $500 bare bow range I'm not sure what to suggest, but these concepts may help.

big44a4

WKR
I've shot compound for a few years now and finally go my first good bow (Bowtech SR350). The reason I went with this is because it felt really good in my hand and is easy to change things like draw weight, draw length, and cam alignment. For someone new like me who didn't even know 100% what draw length I am comfortable with, having these easy to adjust at home without a press was a big plus.

I know this bow is above your price range, but I think things like adjustability are important for new archers who may not even know what they like when they walk into the shop. Everyone says shoot as many bows as you can, and this is excellent advice. I would just add to that that when you're new or returning to compound you don't know what you want or what feels right. So being able to adjust easily at home is a big plus for me. In $500 bare bow range I'm not sure what to suggest, but these concepts may help.

This is big factor. Being able to adjust things at home. Never know until you try and even after a lot of shooting may find a different DL/letoff works better for you.

BravoNovember

Lil-Rokslider
Some good deals to be had on used bows on here, EBay, ect. Bows that are just a few year’s old but hundreds cheaper than new

I shot strictly trad bows for several years, and when I went back to a compound after shoulder surgery, I had trouble finding a grip that I liked. While they are two different animals, if you’re a recurve shooter, you more than likely shot bows with a higher wrist. I would suggest that you do what somebody else mentioned and shoot a few before you buy anything.

I prefer a hoyt, but that’s mostly due to grip. Lots of good bows on the market these days.

Once you throw a sight back on the bow, coming from trad to compound again will make just about any bow feel like a tack driver.

OP
applepie_eli

applepie_eli

Lil-Rokslider
Well I've shot a handful of bows now. Bear Alaskan, Bear Whitetail Legend pro, Elite terrain, PSE Embark, and a Mathews V3. The PSE felt the best but honestly they all felt perfectly fine and I barely noticed any difference other than weight. I'm trying to get my hands on a prime logic CT3 to shoot if I can. Since I can get one from Mountain Archery for a little over $500, that seems ideal to me since it's on the low end of the price range but only because it's a 2019 model I believe, which I have no problem with.

Price wise, they go in order something like this. Both Bears, Prime Logic CT3, PSE Embark, Elite terrain, Matthews V3. Oddly enough the Matthews felt the worst to me (but still pretty good).