My first backpacking trip

Finally got to test out the gear that everyone has helped me pick out. Not a long trip just an overnighter but still fun. Went up to the Alpine Wildernes area, lost the trail at a little over 4,100 ft due to snow so set up camp where I could. So with it being my first trip it's obviously the little guys first also, he had fun as well. He actually hiked about 4 miles on his own and on a day hike the day before he hiked 6 on his own. So somewhere near 11 miles in three days on his own, not bad for a 4 yr old. The T2 fit everything without strapping anything to the outside but was pretty dang full with 2 sleeping bags, 2 sleeping pads, food and gear.

Attachments

• 036.jpg
    036.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 88
  • 049.jpg
    049.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 87
  • 028.jpg
    028.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 99
  • 053.jpg
    053.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 81
OP
pyroducksx3
I learned that peanut butter/chocolate chip/bacon and honey sandwiches are awesome, I took too much food and that you can fit a 4 yr old in a kifaru slick bag with you. The sawyer in-line filter works great with the platypus big zip, the garmin rhino loses signal easily but that the energizer lithum batteries last so much longer than regular duracell.

muleman

WKR
Nice job. Your boy will remember fondly outtings like this and beg for more opportunities to go with you.

OP
pyroducksx3
He is always amazing me! His biggest problem was that I left his toy rifle at home, it was almost a trip ender. He was very upset that he wouldn't be able to shoot the deer and bear we where going to see.

Beastmode

WKR
haha I know what you mean about it being a learning curve. I took my 2 year old on a trip about a month ago. It was definitely a learning adventure with him tagging along. We just did an overnight trip too. He didn't want to ride in the kid carrier my wife was wearing so he walked most of the 4 miles in. Had a blast but I might choose a shorter distance next trip. Created alot of memories and so many more to come.

DSC_0074 (2).jpg

OP
pyroducksx3
Yeah, I think I averaged less than 1 mile per hour with him walking on the overnight trip. On the day hike we took one of his sisters and they raced so it went much faster. I'm so thankful for a kid that loves being outside as much as he does. For people who are hesitant to take their kids out, just do it you wont regret it :)

Last edited:

BuckSnort

WKR
Very cool, you're little hiking buddy covered more ground in two days than a lot of people I know that hunt a whole season..

T43

Lil-Rokslider
I completed the trial run with my daughter in the back yard last week. She did better than I did but its probably because I wasn't tired from a hike and I knew how close my bed was. We will do our first over night hiking trip at the end of the month. Hopefully I don't have to remind her she doesn't need 4 changes of clothes, princess lip gloss and can only take 1 small stuffed animal to sleep with. My wife said she wished she had recorded me going through my daughter's pack the first time.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Awesome Pyro!!!! Thus a bit disapointed as your name implies I would expect to see some camp fire pics. :D Thanks for sharing the pics especially taking the little dude along...very cool!!!

OP
pyroducksx3
No fire pics, we had gone about a mile past the limit for campfires otherwise I would have as the bugs were frustrating me. I can't wait for the little sherpa to start carrying stuff but at the rate he's coming along it wont be long before I figure out how to get a piggyback ride from him when I get tired.

OP
pyroducksx3
Love the thread, firequacker.

Looks like you have a good partner there. How was the Tarptent?

The tarptent has tons of room, the only thing is the entry is a little wierd with the poles right in front of the zipper, but not really a big deal as I dont think Ill be in and out all that much. Did I say the amount of space in that thing is amazing! It has spots to guy out the sides but doesnt come with stakes or guy line, kind of a mistake on tarptents part I think as this is a must for setting this tent up, at least if there is even the mildest of breeze. Overall I love the tent