My dog has crossed the Rainbow Bridge.

chocolab

Lil-Rokslider
really sorry for you all, we just went through this recently. it was really tough for my wife and kids and me as well. we had a little break, but now have a lively pup in the house again. still miss our old brown bear (chocolate lab) but it's really nice to hear the patter of paws and claws on the hardwood floors again (smaller chocolate lab lol).

manitou1

WKR
It's a brutal thing to have to go through.
My condolences.
I am sitting here in my recliner with my pup snuggled up next to me. It is almost weird how attached I am to her. This little girl is going to rip me apart when she says goodbye.

rcb2000

WKR
I feel for you and your family, we lost ours earlier this year. Toughest thing I’ve gone through.

Me recommendation to anyone with a dog, is do all the memory things. Take lots of pictures, get the paw print, save their collars. It helps when you have to say goodbye.

Yoder

WKR
Really sorry to hear that. I got a little choked up reading that. I just had to put down my 10 yr old Golden Retriever a couple weeks ago. There is nothing more loyal than a good dog.

Top147

Lil-Rokslider
Tough read for sure. Looks like he worked hard for you, good doggo. Condolences

Sorry to hear it man. Sounds like you gave him a great life though. Our older dog is 10 and a half now. Still doing well health-wise, doesn't seem like he's lost a step yet, but I know it's only a matter of time. Like with all things in life, just gotta appreciate the hell out of the moments you have.

505Wapiti

WKR
Terribly sorry for your loss. It’s never easy even though it is inevitable and you somewhat prep for it. I can’t imagine life without a dog. Everyone grieves differently but I’ve been through it a few times and for me it’s always been good to get a puppy sooner than later.

ToolMann

WKR
Bummer. It definitely hurts. Keep saving that last bite. I've continued cooking a Bess Bess deer burger for my last girl every time we eat them and she passed in August.

Rambucsabillbul

Lil-Rokslider
Our Buddy's, our pets, our hunting partners in Dogs, become part of the family.
I am sorry for your loss.
Make no bones about it, there's no replacing your shares and memories together.
Were still in kind of a weird state after loosing ours Christmas Day. 2021.
14:long great years with the best dog and friend I and we have had, and I've had several terrific dogs over my 6 decades.
Cherish those times, pics, and memories.

Attachments

• 20191019_131544.jpg
    20191019_131544.jpg
    448.7 KB · Views: 3
@kpk , I’m sorry for your loss & it touches close in my mind. Our female yellow Lab will be 14 soon . She’s doing pretty good for now but it’s hard watching them decline and get old. I know her days are numbered. If I can share any words of hope and comfort, it’d be to quote the following from an article on Chris Akin, a well respected professional retriever trainer written years ago as he spoke of his much beloved Lab , Boomer that had passed. I get a little choked up every time I re-read this because it hits home.

“” Akin misses Boomer but knows things happened the way they were supposed to.

“I thought that if I ever had a chance to meet with God and renegotiate the life span of a dog I would change the length of time,” Akin said. “Then I though about what would be the right amount of years, 25?

“No, if you can love a dog so much in 13, the pain would be that much greater years later. Forty? No, then the dog might outlive you and would be taken care of by someone else. It was then that I realized that the good Lord had gotten it right again.””

Last edited:

Scoot

WKR
Darn pets become part of the family. Makes losing them tough. Really tough. Sounds like you were very fortunate to have the time you had with a great dog. You're lucky to have had a dozen years with him. The details of the final day(s) aren't so important and there's nothing you can do about being sick as heck. Sounds to me like your pooch was very lucky to have good, caring owners too.